In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Well....it is done. Closed my store after 19 years

MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in General Discussion
Yep. Tucson Tools is gone after 19 years. Finished the clean out of the building today and handed over the keys. Just wasn't worth my time any more, because of how few people are working around here. Hardly anyone repairs their own cars and stuff anymore, so all I was selling was plants and various things, but the core business was dead.

Going to be a weird time for me. I still have one other smaller store that my wife runs that sells knives and self-defense stuff, but I'm going to go totally online with my sales.

I've been selling online since 1988, before the WWW was even around! I used to sell on the newsgroups. I've been on ebay and amazon since 1996 for ebay, and 1998 for amazon.

So many changes lately.

I'm very happy but sad at the same time.

Merc

Comments

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope everything works out!
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,059 ******
    edited November -1
    Bitter sweet for sure. Wish you all the best. [:)][:)][:)][:)]
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have been doing that, for as long as I have been on GB. (1999)
    There have been a lot of changes over the years.
    Some you could see coming, this one was unexpected.

Good luck with any future ventures.
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking your Wife was on to something more marketable and profitable in these times.

If you ask nicely, maybe she would hire you on![;)]
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Merc-sorry, and happy for you at the same time. I'm facing the same thing. Just isn't working anymore, and I'm tired of fighting it. Peace of mind has to be worth a whole lot. Best of luck to you, my good friend.

Dan
  • Options
    BEARBELLY454BEARBELLY454 Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the good thoughts. I'm actually very happy to be moving on. It is just *weird* to close something that has made you so much money (at one time.)

I know it is time for a change, so I made it.

If you aren't happy doing what you are doing, do something else!

Merc
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best wishes in all that you do!
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Merc,good luck to you! I have had to reinvent myself several times over 47 years!....I closed down my office at the old AFB in Mobile, several years back...I am doing better and making more money...I know you will do the same...Retail, to wholesale,to trucking,and now warehousing!JUst hoist your sail ,and let the wind fill your life!
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    sorry to hear it.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where is your wifes store at? If I can get by your town I may stop by. Got room for a very long truck?
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One door closes, another one opens.
  • Options
    CaptainCrossmanCaptainCrossman Member Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    Yep. Tucson Tools is gone after 19 years. Finished the clean out of the building today and handed over the keys. Just wasn't worth my time any more, because of how few people are working around here. Hardly anyone repairs their own cars and stuff anymore, so all I was selling was plants and various things, but the core business was dead.

Going to be a weird time for me. I still have one other smaller store that my wife runs that sells knives and self-defense stuff, but I'm going to go totally online with my sales.

I've been selling online since 1988, before the WWW was even around! I used to sell on the newsgroups. I've been on ebay and amazon since 1996 for ebay, and 1998 for amazon.

So many changes lately.

I'm very happy but sad at the same time.

Merc

sorry to hear that. I'm never happy to hear small mom/pa stores close down. in our area that is usually followed by the building being demolished as well !! it's very common with our older restaurants, diners, small gas stations, etc. they are replaced by- NOTHING. an empty lot.

brick and mortar is tough. online is mandatory, but even that is not what it was in the heyday. this cheap Chinese imported junk killed the market for quality anything. Ebay works but it sucks too. any jerky seller can screw with your ratings and feedback, for dishonest and downright criminal reasons. Ebay itself has become a pseudo-criminal online marketplace, their actions against honest decent sellers, are beyond the pale. they shut down oiver 15,000 small sellers for false reasons, or no reason. many of them shut down due to EBAY GLITCHES that caused seller DSR's to drop slightly, then Ebay restricts the sellers' accounts. it's the general trend going on to SHUT DOWN the USA economy.

that and the kids today have zero mechanical/electronic skills, all they know is their smartphones. they didn't grow up building car-boat-plane models, riding bikes and mini bikes and go carts and dirt bikes, or changing engines and rebuilding carburetors.

what you are seeing is the USA turning into a retarded 3rd world country.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet you will do just fine. Seeking happiness usually ends up making you money too!
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People seem to be unaware of the expenses of running a brick and mortar store. Especially the "Mom & Pop" or unfranchised types.

In our area, I have seen many fail in the last few years and
    GOVERNMENT as usual is a big part of the reason.

In the city I live in, the city council voted to more than DOUBLE what they call a PRIVILEDGE FEE. The privilege fee is nothing more than a tax for the "privilege" of having a business within the city.

GOVERNMENT also has as tendency to tax business property as a much higher rate and there are also other fees imposed by GOVERNMENT to strip merchants from their already small profit margins.

GOVERNMENTs also mandate businesses to have and show proof of insurance in some areas....and insurance costs have more than doubled.

There are many small retailers that are behaving in the same manner, so you are not alone. All successful business people have to constantly be aloof in order to survive the greedy fingers of GOVERNMENT at all levels.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best wishes on your new path. It's a wise man that makes changes when they are needed.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Merc is very bright and very motivated, and also a great guy to do gun stuff with. I am confident he will land on his feet.

Best Wishes my friend.[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks He Dog! When you get back to Tucson, let's go shooting! I will now have weekends free! [:D]

Merc

quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Merc is very bright and very motivated, and also a great guy to do gun stuff with. I am confident he will land on his feet.

• Options
    lew07lew07 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck for Your future [:)]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep know the feeling...to me about 5-6 years to where i could sit down and do nothing without feeling guilty...hard to change after so many years of going gang busters to be efficient and timely....really rather stupid but hard to change the pattern...
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,361 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

+1000
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best wishes for the future.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember a commercial where bunch of Japanese looking business men trying to figure out something. Then cut to a white guy on a PC sitting and typing "domo arigato". This is how I'm picturing you Merc [:D].
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will be very successful in any future endeavors, because of your drive and dedication. I wish you the best of luck. I think I cried for an entire day when I sold the sheet metal business, that Donna and I owned, last year. It was my baby and I put everything I had into it. I just got tired and my back wouldn't hold up any longer to work 18 hour days. Getting old suck and selling something you built and loved, is even harder. I hope all your dreams come true sir, you have earned them.[;)][;)][;)] Oakie
  • Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a great run.

Good luck with the next segment of your journey in life!
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I called it quits from being a owner 6 years ago. now I enjoy just 40 hours a week with paid vacations plus I've learned to relax a little and my blood pressure has come way down
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well done... Good luck on the new adventure...
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    One door closes, another one opens.

+1
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.