In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This would suck! Armadillo Ricochet

WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/texas-man-shoots-armadillo-gets-hit-face-bullet-214656503.html

DALLAS (Reuters) - An East Texas man was wounded after he fired a gun at an armadillo in his yard and the bullet ricocheted back to hit him in his face, the county sheriff said on Friday.

Cass County Sheriff Larry Rowe said the man, who was not identified, went outside his home in Marietta, southwest of Texarkana, at around 3 a.m. on Thursday morning. He spotted the armadillo on his property and opened fire.

"His wife was in the house. He went outside and took his .38 revolver and shot three times at the armadillo," Rowe said.

The animal's hard shell deflected at least one of three bullets, which then struck the man's jaw, he said.

The man was airlifted to a nearby hospital, where his jaw was wired shut, according to Rowe.

The status of the animal is unknown.

"We didn't find the armadillo," the sheriff said.

Comments

• Options
    wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll call BS on this one.

I don't see a bullet making a 180 degree turn off an armadillo and coming back to hit the shooter.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Unless their was a rock under it..
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dunno , I have a small scar on my cheek from a .357 that ricocheted and hit me shooting steel, 2" up and no glasses I would be wearing an eye patch

ive been hit with full .45 slugs, have another small scar on my leg from a 9mm jacket ricocheting during an indoor i.d.p.a. match indoors at 20 yards to the backstop

not sure if they were all a 180, or hit a secondary wall then me, but it can happen

tell this guy it cant happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc

edit: a .38 can be weak, Winchester white box makes a power factor of 103 vs their 9mm of 135
  • Options
    IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot one once with a 270 at point blank range. Was not pretty. Nice little hole on top, underneath.......yuck..
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    #1 At 3 am he was drunk

#2 A bullet is not going to ricochet off an armadillo
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Karma is a *, * probably was drunk.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BSFlag_zps4b549499.gif
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the indentation on his jaw is in the shape of a frying pan and they need to check with his wife about it [:o)]
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:An East Texas man was wounded after he fired a gun at an armadillo in his yard and the bullet ricocheted back to hit him in his face,

i do not see that as a possibility, the damned armadillo shot back.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a lesson here. The man was open carrying, and at least one other armadillo was carrying concealed.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,010 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiz1997
    I'll call BS on this one.

I don't see a bullet making a 180 degree turn off an armadillo and coming back to hit the shooter.

+1
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Come on, guys! Same magic bullet principle as with Kennedy.

It happened in East Texas, so I can tell you what happened. East Texas has quite a few of the inbred types running around. Ole boy got into an argument with his wife/sister, and she shot him. Police show up, so the ricochet armadillo story comes out. [:D]
  • Options
    ROY222ROY222 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Government check must have come in and he spent it on alcohol.

3:00 am and drunk.

Probably shot a rock that he thought was going to attack him.
  • Options
    ROY222ROY222 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Government check must have come in and he spent it on alcohol.

3:00 am and drunk.

Probably shot a rock that he thought was going to attack him.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I lived in Taxes I called them "army dildos" because it's just the kind of thing the army would come up with if they were designing a sex toy: ugly, armored, fat, and slow.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Been hit by my own also. Shooting an old school desk that was out in the woods. Younger and not thinking and drinking. 357 hit some metal part and a fragment cut my cheek lucky I always wear glasses. Friend standing right next to me also got hit.

Not sure it was the Armadillo that caused it to come back more like a rock.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    We used to shoot at a PO range up north. When hey built it, with old tires, they were put it the back stop on top of each other, so the tread was out. he steel core would bounce the lead wad cutters back. The ones waiting to shoot next in the squad would get hit in the shins [xx(]
    I know, got the marks still to prove it [^]
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullet traveling at near or over the speed of sound can "bounce" i.e. ricochet in several varied directions.
    The return path certainly won't be as fast... Since a bullet would loose most of it's potential energy.
    But, it would be "fast enough" to travel several yards with enough energy to make you stand up and notice.

Keep in mind that any hard object will "bounce" if given enough potential energy regardless of the surface struck...

Only an object that has no retained mass after striking a surface will not "bounce".
    A frangible bullet is designed to deploy all it's mass upon it's target and not "bounce".
    Lead and/or copper will retain some of it's mass unlike a frangible bullet.
    So... A bullet will "bounce".
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I had my farm up the country, I use to ride down in the pasture during the early morning hrs...with my 44 Red Hawk on the front seat of my CJ8!....blasting away at the 'dillos I would catch out in the flats....left handed(to give them a chance)...that 44 would wind them up....buzzard s ate good![:o)]
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to visit my BIL in Fulshear near Houston about ten years ago.Armadillo laying by the side of the road on his back with a Bud can between all four paws. Don't know if he died of natural causes or he was dead drunk.
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wrangler
    Come on, guys! Same magic bullet principle as with Kennedy.

It happened in East Texas, so I can tell you what happened. East Texas has quite a few of the inbred types running around. Ole boy got into an argument with his wife/sister, and she shot him. Police show up, so the ricochet armadillo story comes out. [:D]

That sounds more like Anywhere, USA! [:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    easier to blame the armadillo than chalk one up for STUPID...and the wife will remind him every time he grunts till the wires come out
  • Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Armadillos will explode in a spectacular fashion if you line bore them with a high speed round like a .22-250 or .270 Win........I've heard.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say him and his wife were arguing and she shot him since it was 3 in the morning. Then rather than have her arrested he made up a story about an Armadillo.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They do make snakeshot... In a 38...
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.