In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Resigned

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
C&P from Fleet Reserve Association Newsletter (email)

MCPON Retires Amid Investigation

Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON) Steven Giordano recently resigned. His resignation comes during an ongoing inquiry by the Navy Inspector General's office into claims he created a "toxic work environment" in his office. According to press accounts, a complaint was filed by a member of his own staff. MCPON Giordano's resignation leaves the MCPON position open for the first time since the position was created. His announcement was posted on the Navy's Facebook page but did not provide a specific date when his resignation takes effect. Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Admiral John Richardson acknowledged Giordano's resignation on his Facebook page. He said, "I have accepted Master Chief Giordano's offer to step aside as the MCPON effective immediately. I appreciate his recognition that the situation had become untenable."

Giordano was appointed the 14th MCPON in September 2016. The position of MCPON was created by legislation in 1966 that was strongly supported by FRA. The holder of this rank and post is the senior enlisted member of the Navy. MCPON is appointed by the CNO to serve as a spokesperson to the highest positions in the Navy on issues impacting enlisted personnel. Fleet Master Chief Russell Smith will temporarily assume the role of MCPON until a successor is appointed.
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of those guys get crazy when they get in that position. The Army has had some really jacked up CSMA's.
    RLTW

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I can't fault his action.
    True or untrue, he avoided dishonor to himself and the position by falling on his sword like a true Centurion or Samurai.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn?t know anything about this until it showed up in the FRA Newsletter. Hell, I didn?t even suspect anything. MCPONs usually deal with personnel matters. What the hell could a MCPON do to cause an Inspector General investigation?
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this new generation considers stale donuts in the coffee mess a toxic work environment.
    they don't know what the REAL navy was...or is.[xx(]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    A lot of those guys get crazy when they get in that position. The Army has had some really jacked up CSMA's.

I here you Sam. My Dad was at that level. (Lifer ABN CSM with 32 years in.) There are a lot of politics involved at that level.

(But) I would agree, a lot of those Guys get a little Power Mad, at that level.

It's good he resigned, for the good of the Service.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    edited November -1
    ?...until a successor is appointed.?
    James, they may be calling you out of retirement.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny, isn't it? People praise him for resigning under duress but castigated Sarah Palin for the exact same thing.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago when I was in the MCPON was going to be called an E-10.I don't know if that went through or not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buddyb
    Many years ago when I was in the MCPON was going to be called an E-10.I don't know if that went through or not.
    It didn?t. The MCPON is still an E-9 and he is addressed as Master Chief but his uniform and job description are different from all other Master Chiefs. His rating badge has three gold stars instead of the two silver stars on the Master Chiefs?. He even has his own pay grade.

MCPON has three gold stars across the top of his rating badge with a larger gold star centered above his chevrons. Fleet and Force Master Chiefs have two gold stars across the top of their rating badges with a larger gold star centered above the chevrons. A Command Master Chief has two silver stars at the top of his rating badge with a larger silver star centered above the chevrons.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have searched the internet and unable to find anything new. Here is the summary of what I found:

Two of his former staff members said "He has a ferocious temper, a bullying leadership style and can be verbally abusive towards his own staff members"

My question is, is a nation worth defending if you have to hurt somebody?s feelings in the process?
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,385 ******
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me that the Chief was just a bit off balance.

Everyone knows that a Chief without a mug full of coffee in one hand is off balance.[:D]
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,796 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the Lauer-Halperin syndrome at best.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like a normal chief to me. a good chief leads based on the personalities of the troops.
    if the troops need type a authoritarian style leadership to get them to produce....then you use it.
    if the troops are more the /wuss/fem types......then maybe type b democratic style works best.
    I mean seriously, hostile in an office? whats going on...staple gun wars or paper cut slashing? lol. slamming a file cabinet drawer on someones finger? putting bubble gum on the yeomans seat?
    some navy people need a life outside the office.
    put them in 1st div and hang em off the side of a ship with a paint brush.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I have searched the internet and unable to find anything new. Here is the summary of what I found:

Two of his former staff members said "He has a ferocious temper, a bullying leadership style and can be verbally abusive towards his own staff members"

My question is, is a nation worth defending if you have to hurt somebody?s feelings in the process?

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2018/06/15/like-working-for-a-pop-star-or-hollywood-diva-navy-investigating-mcpon-amid-reports-of-toxic-workplace/

Napoleon complex, probably thought he was untouchable. In today's miltiary you can't get to be a dictator. I had a step fsther went into The Naviy 1920's and he said the D.I. Cheif petty officers would come up behind you and slap you with a sword on youe leg with it when in formation. They still carried swords back then as government issue.

serf
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by serf
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2018/06/15/like-working-for-a-pop-star-or-hollywood-diva-navy-investigating-mcpon-amid-reports-of-toxic-workplace/

Napoleon complex, probably thought he was untouchable. In today's miltiary you can't get to be a dictator. I had a step fsther went into The Naviy 1920's and he said the D.I. Cheif petty officers would come up behind you and slap you with a sword on youe leg with it when in formation. They still carried swords back then as government issue.

serf

Marines Still do.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:

?This is a man defined by a passive-aggressive leadership style, laced with a horrific and unpredictable temper,? said one former staff member who spoke to Navy Times on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal.

?Behind closed doors, MCPON Giordano takes on an alter ego that is condescending and defaming to the senior leaders and junior staff alike on a regular basis, totally contradicting his own publicly preached values and beliefs of being a ?quietly humble leader,?? the former staff member said.

The guy sounds like a *. I have been around plenty of CSM's like this.

He probably got a real good talking to from a senior Officer and realized he needed to go otherwise he was going to get smoked.
    RLTW