In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Restaurant Tampering With My Dr Pepper?

Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
In my car wash business I have made a lot of enemies, chewed out a lot of people, some of them local.

I was in the habit of getting a Dr Pepper at the same local drive-in chain restuarant every day for years. About 2 months ago I started getting sick just about every time after I went there for my DP. At first I just chalked it up to, well, nothing unusual.

But then I began to narrow it down, I was only getting sick after going to this small town drive-in restaurant. So stopped going there for over a month - never got sick once. I kept going to the same chain drive-in, but in a larger city nearby for my DP...never got sick.

So, today I decided I was being paranoid about the whole thing and I went to the local one again for a DP. Here I am, up late, sick. Some of the employees there are people I've chewed out at my car wash in the past. Keep in mind this is a 2,000 population town and everyone knows who I am by my pickup...in fact the carhop today said "Oh, I haven't seen you here in awhile."

I still have about 1/3 a cup of their now watered down DP setting in front of me. Will the police test it for....* fluids, or do I have to pay for that myself?

Comments

• Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    Fountain drinks cant be tainted by mold if the nozzels are not cleaned.

A local KFC was, or almost was shut down due to health issues, one of them was mold on the fountain nozzels.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    State Dept of Health.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,094 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legear
    Fountain drinks cant be tainted by mold if the nozzels are not cleaned.

A local KFC was, or almost was shut down due to health issues, one of them was mold on the fountain nozzels.
    +10,00000 and/or the ice machines is molded and thus the ice has traces of mold. Most people never make the connection.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,094 ******
    edited November -1
    call your local health dept. and tell them what you told me,but leave out suspicion of a personal attack. Tell them you are concerned of a mold issue in the drinks.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    Have a friend go with you and claim he is from an independant lab and there to preserve the custody chain of evidence.

State you have been getting sick and want it to stop or you will sue.

Offer them one chance to fess up or you will sue & own the joint.

Careful doing that or you could find the restaurant owning you.

Do some research. Dr. Pepper is not good for anyone.
  • Options
    oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    quote:State Dept of Health.

Only real course of action. Worked for the Texas Dept. of Health for 30 years. You wouldn't believe some of the stories I could tell you.
  • Options
    SturmgewehrSturmgewehr Member Posts: 4,420
    edited November -1
    You must be a TI [}:)]
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Retain that 1/3 cut you still have and go to the Health Dept. Or you could make another run thru the drive-thru with someone to witness that you didn't tamper with it yourself, then go to the Health Dpet.

In addition to the mold issue, you may have someone tampering with you DP. Then you would own them. Thats a real possibility since you stated that people who work there don't like you.

Why you would go back the final time to get sick again is beyond me. [xx(]
  • Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldnbald

Only real course of action. Worked for the Texas Dept. of Health for 30 years. You wouldn't believe some of the stories I could tell you.

Do tell!!
    I like stories[:o)]
  • Options
    timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking if it happens every time, go get a fresh DR Pepper at the drive-in, then contact the health dept. to have it tested.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Is it the same person working there every time you stop or do they all have issues with you? I'm betting with the guys who suspect the machines or the ice. It just seems more likely.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was the drink dispenser I'd think they would have enough complaints by now that the manager or owner would have addressed it. Sounds to me like tampering. Keep us up dated!

SO far as you chewing people out and making enemies hell, I can be sacastically defensive and it gets the same results. I just love some people, they can say whatever they want but don't you try it.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't eat the yellow snowcone ...dummy....if you insist on ignoring intuitive evidence get several independently verified samples tested and be sure of a win before you open up a can of worms(spaghetti really)
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most cola type drinks are so acidic that disease organisms get zapped in the liquid- that is why the sodas don't spoil. The pH of Dr. Pepper runs about 2.93 or so. However, I have seen ice machines that look like a science experiment run amok- organisms INSIDE the ice would not be affected as much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    Is it the same person working there every time you stop or do they all have issues with you? I'm betting with the guys who suspect the machines or the ice. It just seems more likely.

The problem is my wife gets a large vanilla cream DP at the same time and she doesn't get sick. I'm embarassed to admit that I went there often enough that they know exactly which drink is mine. In fact, several times when I press the button to order, they told me my order rather than me telling them.

One of the carhops I posted a security cam pic of here awhile back as I caught him dumping a tire. Another carhop there I had a really loud shouting match with and finally told her to leave and not come back after she kept letting her toddler run loose around the parking lot and nearly got ran over by a pickup.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    first stop - health department
  • Options
    utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go inside and get one or have someone else get you one and bring it to you.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simple solution. Have another person in a few cars ahead of you order a dr. pepper and something different than your eats. Then you order. Leave the drinks sealed and head for the Health Dept. Drinks had better be the same when tested.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,023 ******
    edited November -1
    There was a coffee shop here a long time ago. I used to go there and meet some friends. One friend always brought his own cup from home. He said that when he drank from the shop's cups, he very often caught colds, but since he started bringing his own cup, he doesn't get colds anymore. I took the hint and started ordering my coffee in a styrofoam cup.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    People are conspiring to sap and impurify your precious * fluids.

Start drinking only rain water or pure grain alcohol.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first job was working as a food vendor at the ball park when I was 15. I usually sold score cards, popcorn, & peanuts. The guys selling Coke would get a tray of them in the commissary, & they had to put lids on them before they left. On hot days they would get pretty thirsty, & the boss wouldn't give anyone a free drink; so, the Coke vendors would take a sip out of each cup in the first row of cups before putting the lids on them.

I don't know how they do things in DQ......

Neal
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why have you made a lot of enemies in your car wash business?
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Call the cops.

They're familiar having their food spit in and will know exactly what to do...
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't want to be an Ida Dun, but if I ever find out the identity of anybody pissing in my food or drink it won't be easy to stay out of prison.

I got a hot dog at a hamburger chain several years ago that had a chewed up toothpick in it. I showed it to the cashier and she asked me if I wanted another hot dog. I didn't want to call her a stupid * so I just left. I hope I still have enough self control to do that again, but I don't think I'd just drop the subject next time.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife is a health inspector. Call your local county helth dept. They will investigate. I suspect the lines for the soda machine need cleaning. Happens all the time. Tell them about getting sick. Don't make accusations.
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legear
    quote:Originally posted by oldnbald

Do tell!!
    I like stories[:o)]

me too
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quite possibly someone put a "shot" of dishwasher liquid in your DP. That will seriously give you the runs.

If you were getting coffee next to a lube joint I'd think you were getting a squirt of hydraulic fluid...will do the same thing.

I agree, go to the Dept of Health, but DO NOT say it was a personal attack. Just say you've been getting sick and narrowed it down, and give your full story and suspicions. It may be that they have other evidence on this shop.

Good luck. Try not to chew so many people out. You'll feel better. [:D]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If it is not somebody messing with it and it is a problem with multiple people you might have a case.. However if you are the only one.. ??????????????????????????? I have seen lawsuits over food poisoning, only to be thrown out because no one else was reported sick....
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the old "VISINE" trick,to me..
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Daughter was a manager at a fast food resturant and happened to see inside the ice machine and it was full of mold. She told the owner and she wouldn't do anything about it so daughter called health dept. Health dept told manager who called and daughter got fired! Health dept did shut them down though and people in hazmat suits were there two days.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could be the only soul in the town drinking the dr. Non use of lines, mold, bacteria, HIV.. and you are sick from reading this?[:o)][:o)]

Here in SC you can report a restaurant if there is a problem . Dept. of health and enviromental control will investigate. Could be a public health issue. They also do report cards on food establishments that they put on the entrance doors. If you see anything less than an A go eat somewhere else. There report cards are published on TV each week.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard that a few drops of Visine eye drops will make someone throw up if you put it in a drink. I have no idea if that is true or not????
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    Im not sure what is is they put in your drink but sure as hell if I was getting sick off it I would not drink another drop from them from anybodies cup
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Soon as possible, get and install a video camera on your pickup, pointed at the drivers' seat. Hang a hat on it, or make it look a little less like a camera.
    Send a trusted friend through tomorrow, and have him/her get a Dr. Pepper, easy ice. Video entire transaction from afar.
    You then go through the next day, order your usual, and have the camera running until you hand the soda to someone who helps you seal it with duct tape. (Chain of evidence here)
    Take it to Health Dept. and ask if either has been tampered with-explain sickness, etc.; but do not mention "enemies" or anything stupid like that.
    If not tampered with, check with health dept. about when last inspection was, and if "ice worms" or "line loogies" were found.
    Most places don't care to break down the entire hose system, or clean the entire ice machine, so chances are high that you've been attacked by bugs in your soda, crap from the lines, or ice worms from a nasty ice machine.

You can taste mold can't you?
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Was it a Dublin Dr, Pepper?
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln

• Options
    texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

Was it a Dublin Dr, Pepper?

You just had to bring that up........[:(]
  • Options
    sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Sounds like the old "VISINE" trick,to me..

Exactly what came to mind as I read this thread. A little goes a long way from what I have heard. No personal experience...Mark
  • Options
    edited November -1

My car wash was known to be the best around, by a wide margin. I didn't tolerate a lot of crap and thus people told me they'd drive past 7 car washes 30 miles from a larger city to use my wash.

In order to have 50 people a month say good things about my car wash, I had to have 1 or 2 think I was a pri## for being too picky. I didn't allow nails or broken beer bottles to be washed out of pickup beds, I didn't allow the center pivot guy to clean a flatbed trailer load of greasy gearheads, etc.

The business model worked very well - I did far above the national average in a town of 2,000 people, when even my banker said this town would never support the nice wash I was building. He admitted his mistake 5 years later as he was loaning me another $250,000 to expand. [:D]

Anywho, my first job was a carhop at an A&W when I was 14. Then I was a cook there. I can tell you with no hesitation that most guys who never worked in a restaurant, would be shocked to know how much spit or snot yoi've ingested. It would take something as slight as a customer being a little curt while ordering his Papa Burger, to get spit on his burger, or to have a cook stick his hand down his pants, rub his crotch, then wipe his hand on that customer's hamburger patty as everyone in the kitchen laughed. Trust me, this happens a LOT, and it's why I'm NEVER rude at the drive-thru.

So, it's not hard to imagine that some minimum wage cook who I banned from my car wash, would seek revenge.
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wyatt Earp

My car wash was known to be the best around, by a wide margin. I didn't tolerate a lot of crap and thus people told me they'd drive past 7 car washes 30 miles from a larger city to use my wash.

In order to have 50 people a month say good things about my car wash, I had to have 1 or 2 think I was a pri## for being too picky. I didn't allow nails or broken beer bottles to be washed out of pickup beds, I didn't allow the center pivot guy to clean a flatbed trailer load of greasy gearheads, etc.

The business model worked very well - I did far above the national average in a town of 2,000 people, when even my banker said this town would never support the nice wash I was building. He admitted his mistake 5 years later as he was loaning me another $250,000 to expand. [:D]

Anywho, my first job was a carhop at an A&W when I was 14. Then I was a cook there. I can tell you with no hesitation that most guys who never worked in a restaurant, would be shocked to know how much spit or snot yoi've ingested. It would take something as slight as a customer being a little curt while ordering his Papa Burger, to get spit on his burger, or to have a cook stick his hand down his pants, rub his crotch, then wipe his hand on that customer's hamburger patty as everyone in the kitchen laughed. Trust me, this happens a LOT, and it's why I'm NEVER rude at the drive-thru.

So, it's not hard to imagine that some minimum wage cook who I banned from my car wash, would seek revenge.

wow...I managed to work in a ton of fast food and burger joints and never spit or snot in anyone's food. I did field a lot of complaints and I have given away a handful of meals to people who just wanted to gripe thier way to a free meal. Overall, by a huge margin, people were happy and agreeable and easy to work with in the various resturants.

I have managed those resturants, owned business and probably would put my managerial track record up to anyone's. I have never felt compelled to be a pric# to prove anything to a customer or and employee.

I am sorry you are having this kind of trouble. I am in awe of your business acumen for building a business in a small town that puts you in a position to get that kind of financing. Good on you!