In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Think with your dipstick, Jimmy!

7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
castrol-use-your-dipstick.jpg

That Castrol commercial is hilarious!

Comments

• wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    unfortunately thinking with our dipstick is what gets us in trouble most of the time[}:)][;)]
  • mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And what is really hilarious about those commercials is that Castrol CAUSES more sludge than any other oil on the market, but it's the only one that really claims and pushes the idea that it "stops sludge in its tracks". What a bunch of BS. That Castrol oil is a good way to ruin a motor fast.

Mike
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,024 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mike55
    And what is really hilarious about those commercials is that Castrol CAUSES more sludge than any other oil on the market, but it's the only one that really claims and pushes the idea that it "stops sludge in its tracks". What a bunch of BS. That Castrol oil is a good way to ruin a motor fast.

Mike

Mike, what about their synthetic? I've been using it in my 09 Toyota Matrix. What should I use?
    edited November -1
    Havoline!!

I don't know about the synthetics though. But based on there sludge stopping regular oil I wouldn't touch anything with Castrol in it's name.

Mike
  • TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1

Mike

If you had said Penzoil, I would have agreed. However Castrol doesn't contain the wax most other oils contain.
    Valvoline and Castrol are the only two motor oils that are wax free, that I am aware of. Besides synthetics.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind

Mike

If you had said Penzoil, I would have agreed. However Castrol doesn't contain the wax most other oils contain.
    Valvoline and Castrol are the only two motor oils that are wax free, that I am aware of. Besides synthetics.

I have little experience with Valvoline, but I've used Castrol in air-cooled Volkswagen motors for over 35 years and found it protects and cleans the internal parts better than anything else. Air-cooled motors are much tougher on oil than water-cooled as they run a bit hotter. I run Syntec in everything that doesn't leak now and it is very good oil.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    I always heard there were two types of oils. prarafin based and ash based. Parafin put a protective film on every part.Ash kept it all clean.Is this the way it still is or are the waters muddy now[?][?]
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Mike

Got a link? Just curious here, I've always had great results with Castrol, it's still all I use in every motor. Pennzoil on the other hand, that was great oil if you wanted to see just how fast sludge would build up in a pair of valve covers and in general gum up a motor.

Again, I'd like to see proof that Castrol is junk as you claim.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wifes tales perpetuated for eternity!
    Paraffin-based Crude Oils

Most people relate the word paraffin to candle wax. This is a correct association, BUT one of the most incorrect and widely circulated misconceptions about sludge is that it forms more easily in paraffin-based motor oils. This couldn't be further from the truth. All major motor oils, in fact, are formulated using a paraffin-based crude oil. Naphthenic-based crude oils are actually more likely to form sludge in an engine than oils formulated with paraffin-based crude oils. This is due to the higher breakdown resistance of paraffin-based crude oils. O.K., so how does sludge really form?
    http://www.synlube.com/sludge.htm
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    edited November -1
    quote:Got a link? Just curious here, I've always had great results with Castrol, it's still all I use in every motor. Pennzoil on the other hand, that was great oil if you wanted to see just how fast sludge would build up in a pair of valve covers and in general gum up a motor.

Again, I'd like to see proof that Castrol is junk as you claim

Well, If you'll come to Ga and talk to my father-in-law who has been a mech for over 45 years then you will see. Sorry there is not a "link" for everything. Just find a motor that has only used Castrol oil and take the oil cap off and look at it. The oil cap will even have sludge on it.

I only gave an opinion and am not trying to sell anything, but the question was asked and I answered. If you don't agree then that's fine, that's what makes the world go round.

Mike
  • Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    +25 YEARS EXPERENCE (Mobil 1)

quote:Originally posted by TangoSierra
    Mobil 1...
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that pennzoil mucks up the works pretty bad too. Also agree on Mobile 1. An old girlfreind's Dad (auto mechanic) told me 35 years ago to always use Mobile brand oils.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya'll might as well here it from me first Ain't no tooth fairy, No santa claus, no easter bunny and oil brand is a personal favorite. Not ONE oil has been proven to cause more sludge then another. Please post facts not opinions. I can find a person who will tell you Quaker state, Penzoil, Castrol, or even Mobil 1 causes sludge I can not find one person or web site to confirm it :) Just cause yer Daddy told yer he were a mechanic for fourty years dont make it so, just perpetuation of same line of BS. Sorry

Oh well thought you might as well know.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    edited November -1
    I'M SO CONFUSED!?!?!?!?!?[B)]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I'll continue buying whatever is cheapest. Usually Walmart's house brand.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    Havoline!!

I don't know about the synthetics though. But based on there sludge stopping regular oil I wouldn't touch anything with Castrol in it's name.

Mike

all oil without detergent agents will cause sludge, Pennzoil used to be the worst. I took the intake off a camaro engine from a car I purchased from the original owner. He was proud that he had only used Pennzoil since day one. Well there was 1/2 deep sludge pasted to the underside of the intake and a soupy muck all over in the lifter valley. I decided then and there to rebuild the motor. every non-moving part had goopy sludge and anywhere that got hot during normal operation had a serious veneer of baked on oil. it was gross.
    I think synthetic oil eliminates that problem especially if you follow recommended change intervals
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been using Castrol crude oils for over 25 years and would not put any other brand in anything I use.

mike55 says
    "Castrol CAUSES more sludge than any other oil on the market.."

I call you a damn liar and will continue to do so until you show me proof of what you say.

Forget posting a bunch of links to webs site. For they will not convince my 25+ years of experience with Castrol of anything other than Castrol being the best engine oil on the market.
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Been using Castrol crude oils for over 25 years and would not put any other brand in anything I use.

mike55 says
    "Castrol CAUSES more sludge than any other oil on the market.."

I call you a damn liar and will continue to do so until you show me proof of what you say.

Forget posting a bunch of links to webs site. For they will not convince my 25+ years of experience with Castrol of anything other than Castrol being the best engine oil on the market.

Ok F. you then. I said that is what I see and what I believe and if you don't like it then fine.

P.S. Your a damn liar too[}:)][:D]

There ain't no need for name callin but since you started it.

Mike
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Got a link? Just curious here, I've always had great results with Castrol, it's still all I use in every motor. Pennzoil on the other hand, that was great oil if you wanted to see just how fast sludge would build up in a pair of valve covers and in general gum up a motor.

Again, I'd like to see proof that Castrol is junk as you claim

Well, If you'll come to Ga and talk to my father-in-law who has been a mech for over 45 years then you will see. Sorry there is not a "link" for everything. Just find a motor that has only used Castrol oil and take the oil cap off and look at it. The oil cap will even have sludge on it.

I only gave an opinion and am not trying to sell anything, but the question was asked and I answered. If you don't agree then that's fine, that's what makes the world go round.

Mike

Well, if you'll come to Montana and talk to my best friend who has been a mech for over 50 years then you will see as well. I'm not trying to sell you anything either, just stating the fact that neither of us have seen an engine develop an anything over a minor amount of sludge with Castrol. I have a habit of checking the oil in my vehicles every morning before I start them, and I'll be damned if I've ever seen any of what you claim.

So no, I don't agree with you on this, and the world will indeed keep on spinning. I'm sorry you think your opinion is the only one out there or the only one that matters.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    I've used nearly all the brands of oil down through the years. Pennziol, Castrol, Valvoline, Havoline, Motorcraft, Quaker State, Mobil 1, etc. Now I use Royal Purple. I think the MAIN thing is just to change the stuff regularly! Doesn't really matter much which brand, just change it! (Along with a QUALITY oil filter!!) I do find that my Jeep runs a few degrees cooler on synthetic, so that's what I use now, and will probably continue to do so.
    edited November -1
    quote:So no, I don't agree with you on this, and the world will indeed keep on spinning. I'm sorry you think your opinion is the only one out there or the only one that matters.

I never said that only my opinion mattered. I said that all I was giving was my opinion, I like all of you, have not done any scientific test. I just stated my opinion and my past experiences.
    I didn't mean anything by "that's what makes the world go round", what I mean is people are all different and nobody will ever thing exactly the same thing and that is what makes the world go round.

Different strokes for different folks.

Mike
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now that you guys have gotten each other all wet.............
    The biggest cause of sludge is NOT the oil, but how the vehicle is driven. Short trips will cause ANY oil to build up sludge, VS someone that uses the same oil and drives far enough to bring the engine up to full operating temprature after every startup.

BTW, a tight fan belt does NOT cause bearings to go bad, but a belt that's loose enough to slip will. The slipping belt causes heat, which cooks the oil out of the bearing. All the "old school" mechanics will argue with that statement also, even though they are wrong.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    Now that you guys have gotten each other all wet.............
    The biggest cause of sludge is NOT the oil, but how the vehicle is driven. Short trips will cause ANY oil to build up sludge, VS someone that uses the same oil and drives far enough to bring the engine up to full operating temprature after every startup.

BTW, a tight fan belt does NOT cause bearings to go bad, but a belt that's loose enough to slip will. The slipping belt causes heat, which cooks the oil out of the bearing. All the "old school" mechanics will argue with that statement also, even though they are wrong.

I've heard that before, but I'm not mechanical enough to draw my draw my own conclusions.
    Mike and Les, you guys are good guys, it pains me to see that kind of exchange.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    FINAL ANSWER;
    Sludge is mostly formed by driving your car wile the engine is cold. Give it a little time to warm-up, before putting a load on it.My "X" used to start her truck in gear and immediately let out the clutch and go.Engine was pretty sludgy. I changed the oil to a detergent oil and changed that every 300 miles, for 3 changes. CLEAN ENGINE.
    Went back to non det. and she warmed it just until hi-idle kicked out ON IT'S OWN, every time after that.
    After 3 years, no sludge build-up. And still used Pennsoil.Call me crazy, but, it works.
  • wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    when i worked as a grease monkey, we used to call castrol "the incredible disapearing oil" it would burn up and sludge up like mad. every time we pulled a dipstick and there was no oil on the stick, if we looked at the service order it would call for castrol.
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a motor with 240,000 on it in a ford truck that I used nothing but castrol from day one. The guy that bought the truck pulled the motor for another truck as the body of the truck was shot and took the valve covers off to replace gaskets as they had started to leak the inside was clean NO BUILD UP. I guess I will keep on using castrol and changing every 3000 miles. Would never use anything else. On the other side of this I have a ranger that a mechanic told me since it has 130,000 on it I should change to castrol synthetics I did and it started to use oil went back to 10 30 weight regular castrol and it has not used a drop since.
    edited November -1
    quote:
    I've heard that before, but I'm not mechanical enough to draw my draw my own conclusions.
    Mike and Les, you guys are good guys, it pains me to see that kind of exchange.

POKE, POKE, POKE.[B)]

It's all just fun and games until someone gets and eye put out[:D]

All good here, I just push back when pushed(like it really matters on the net)[:p]

Mike
    edited November -1
    quote:
    when i worked as a grease monkey, we used to call castrol "the incredible disapearing oil" it would burn up and sludge up like mad. every time we pulled a dipstick and there was no oil on the stick, if we looked at the service order it would call for castrol.

Oh no, you are a lier too[:D]. See some one else has seen this too. It may or may not be castrol that causes this but in our experiences it was. IMHO castrol is bad stuff but for all of you who have had good luck/experiences with it then I am glad for you but I'm still not gonna use it myself, nor do I expect any of you to change your oil preference based on my opinion.

Thanks

MIke
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I've heard only good things about Mobil 1, but I never found the need.

I tore down a Dodge 383 Magnum with 104,000 miles on it. The car had only seen Shell 10-40 and 10-50, except for the use of 10-weight once for a few-mile run, to unstick a lifter. It had been track-raced in its first years, but the oil and filter had been changed after every race, and were otherwise changed every 4,000 or less.

The main bearings were still within new factory spec at the time of tear-down. The timing chain showed a high polish but no real wear, but had a little stretch, and was replaced with another Morse. 3 exhaust valves showed burning, and were replaced. There was no sludge anywhere, and no residues of any kind in any recesses, or covers. The engine was reassembled, and driven to a little over 180,000, at which time I lost track of it when it passed to its fourth owner.

In short, I believe the major key is to use anything of a decent quality (and which will not form anything that will plug oil conduits) and to change both the oil and the filter often.