In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why name it Locust Fork.

milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
I'm setting around doing pretty much nothing after reading Kasey's post in the forum about people in Locust Fork and for some reason I thought,...Who names a town Locust Fork and why..

Well, this is what I found and I thought I would C&P it.
It's "local lore" but makes about as much sense as any other reason I suppose.

Local lore states that General Andrew Jackson camped with his forces in the area and carved his name in a locust tree by a fork in the Warrior River, giving the area its name. The first settlers came to the area around 1819. A school building was constructed in 1921 and expanded in 1928. The federal Works Progress Administration built a new high school in 1937, which burned in 1961 and was replaced on the same site. Locust Fork incorporated in January 1977.

http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/face/Article.jsp?id=h-3373

Comments

• Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It does not mention, that I was the 1st exchange student Locust Fork High School [:D] This happened back in 1984.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice!

Yep.....its a small town without a whole lot going on, but it is nice (mostly.)

Nutfinn was THE center of attention for a little while. I remember my Granny stitching your pants when they split on the trampoline! [:D]
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nutfinn
    It does not mention, that I was the 1st exchange student Locust Fork High School [:D] This happened back in 1984.

What happened? Finland didn't want you back so you were forced to stay? [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    Nice!

Yep.....its a small town without a whole lot going on, but it is nice (mostly.)

Nutfinn was THE center of attention for a little while. I remember my Granny stitching your pants when they split on the trampoline! [:D]
    [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    quote:Originally posted by nutfinn

What happened? Finland didn't want you back so you were forced to stay? [:D]
    I went back, then decided it weather was so much nicer here [8D]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    This is all mildly incestuous.
    I'm feeling a little bit uncomfortable.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a link to 'Discover Alabama,' it shows pictures of the Black Warrior River and the Locust Fork. What beautiful coutry!! The high cliffs and georgeous river. Kasey, have you ever canoed that upper portion? It looks just incredible!!
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We used to ride tubes down the river every summer. Its a lot of fun. I never have been much for the paddling...the boats were a lot less fun than they are now. Larry has an old canoe in the barn and it takes two people to pick it up. I am too fat and lazy to try it now that the boats are lightweight and fun!!! My neighbor is one of the top kayak competitors in the country. He teaches people how to kayak for extra money. I had him work with my two younger kids. They liked it....well, my daughter did....my son thought I had hired hippies to kill him.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    We used to ride tubes down the river every summer. Its a lot of fun. I never have been much for the paddling...the boats were a lot less fun than they are now. Larry has an old canoe in the barn and it takes two people to pick it up. I am too fat and lazy to try it now that the boats are lightweight and fun!!! My neighbor is one of the top kayak competitors in the country. He teaches people how to kayak for extra money. I had him work with my two younger kids. They liked it....well, my daughter did....my son thought I had hired hippies to kill him.
    LOL![:D][:D]
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Town names are interesting. Here in NW Alabama we have Zip City. They called it that because the cars just zipped by it. Remlap is Palmer spelled backwards. We have the town of Arab. It was supposed to have been Arad, but the state miss read the paperwork.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alabama...the home of "Dreamland Ribs"....and "The Crimson Tide"
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pearyw
    Town names are interesting. Here in NW Alabama we have Zip City. They called it that because the cars just zipped by it. Remlap is Palmer spelled backwards. We have the town of Arab. It was supposed to have been Arad, but the state miss read the paperwork.

Arizona is full of interesting names, both places and towns. Many of the towns disappeared, having existed only during mining booms. One of my favorites was a town named 'Total Wreck'. 'Two Guns', 'Mexican Hat', and 'Tortilla Flat' are some others. An old-timer told me that Phoenix was once referred to as 'Furnace Flats' by some people, but the name never took. Personally, I think that name was an understatement [:D].