In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Black Rifle help....

screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I just finished putting together my Spikes Tactical AR15 and I'm having a little trouble with it. It has a 7 inch chrome lined heavy barrel from Model one sales with Yankee Hill low profile gas block and the shortened gas tube for the pistol barrel. Problem is the bolt isn't blowing back far enough to strip next round form the magazine. I checked to make sure gas block is tight and the gas holes in barrel and gas block line up. What should I check next?
[img][/img]img0122t.th.jpg
img0121.th.jpg

Comments

• MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buffer and spring.
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is called short-cycling. The buffer, buffer tube, and spring have to somewhat match the gas system. Do you have a Model-1 sales pistol buffer tube and spring, and more importantly, is your lower marked "pistol only". Be careful what you post in a public forum.[}:)]

aug_17k.gif
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oklahoma223
    It is called short-cycling. The buffer, buffer tube, and spring have to somewhat match the gas system. Do you have a Model-1 sales pistol buffer tube and spring, and more importantly, is your lower marked "pistol only". Be careful what you post in a public forum.[}:)]

This is a good idea, but not a requirement. It IS a requirement to use a virgin or pistol lower for this kind of build.
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    Yep it's a virgin lower marked multi caliber lower so no worries there and had FFL mark pistol on the paperwork. I don't remember if I got the spring and buffer from model one or not but it's a pistol buffer.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think this is it but make sure the gas rings on your bolt are at 12, 4 and 8 o'clock.
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Is it my 'puter or does anyone else not see photos?
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its your puter.

Uhh, if the gas tube aint bent and the gas block is ok, it must be the buffer or the mag.

Have you tried more then one mag?
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    Well the steel mag is new MFG. by Defense Soultions and the buffer and spring are also new. I bought the buffer and spring new when I bought the pistol buffer tube. I guess the old saying applies "just because it's new dosn't mean it's good"
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by screwobama
    I just finished putting together my Spikes Tactical AR15 and I'm having a little trouble with it. It has a 7 inch chrome lined heavy barrel from Model one sales with Yankee Hill low profile gas block and the shortened gas tube for the pistol barrel. Problem is the bolt isn't blowing back far enough to strip next round form the magazine. I checked to make sure gas block is tight and the gas holes in barrel and gas block line up. What should I check next?
    [img][/img]img0122t.th.jpg
    img0121.th.jpg

Check your rope, to make sure that it is tied securely to the trigger guard, so you do not lose your trot line jug when you use this rifle for its best purpose.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by screwobama
    Well the steel mag is new MFG. by Defense Soultions and the buffer and spring are also new. I bought the buffer and spring new when I bought the pistol buffer tube. I guess the old saying applies "just because it's new dosn't mean it's good"

So you only have the one mag? Sometimes a mag doesnt lock up the way it should, this can cause malfs.