In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR57

gibswinegibswine Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Anyone tried the AR57 (I think that is what they are called) in 5.7 x 28? They are advertised to fit any standard AR15 lower, would like to know if anyone has tried them and if they encountered any problems and if anyone is reloading the 5.7 x 28, again with any issues?

Comments

• cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have one, but as I see it

Advantages:
    50 rd magazine.
    ejects brass straight down through the mag well.

disadvantages:
    ammo hard to find (compared to .223/5.56)
    ammo more expensive than .223
    ammo has less velocity and energy than .223

My opinion overall: kind of a novelty. It would be fun to run a magazine through it. Then the cool factor would be used up. I'd stick with something standard or that would give me a real advantage over 5.56
  • ZealotZealot Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's pretty much a waste of money for all the aforementioned reasons. It could be fun, but not worth it currently
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the 5.7 pistol. Shot a PS90. None of the "good" ammo is available to people outside of police agencies. I tried to get some of the ammo(i'm an officer) and they said it would have to be Department Letterhead purchase only. They are a cool novelty, but not much else IMO. Think of an M1 carbine.....how did it compare to the M1 Garand? Special ammo, not near as powerful. The 5.7 in either the pistol or rifle it is not near as powerful and would depend on the AP bullets to really do the damage, plus the fact that you would have to hit a target multiple times for any effect. I traded off my 5.7 pistol for an AR. It is a good concept for people who have very little training for firearms in that there is almost no recoil with either, high magazine capacity for the "pray and spray" type of shooting that can be common in warfare. But if you want to get it, by all means get it. This is a free country at least for now.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Free country my *.

I forbid you to get it.

Now go talk about something else.

Doug
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ammo more expensive than .223

Thats not eactly true.

I'd only want a 11" BDL upper and make a pistol.[;)]