In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Quick release scopes

KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I know of a AR-15 Bushmaster A2 someone has. They want to put a aimpoint with a quick release mount so it's still easy to use the irons. I've never dealt with a quick release mount. Do they hold a zero even when you take them off and put them back on well? Any good reccomendations for a quick release that would fit a A2 (the carrying handle does NOT come off)?

Comments

• joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i know the movies love them. i just wanted to tag this thread cause i have wondered the same, and since this is gun broker well someone has to know.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most A2 handle mounts are quick detach. they either have a thumb screw or a twist lever that locks to the contour of the botom of the handle. They will usually lock up fine and hold zero after removal. Cant go wrong with one from A.R.M.S.
  • KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    Most A2 handle mounts are quick detach. they either have a thumb screw or a twist lever that locks to the contour of the botom of the handle. They will usually lock up fine and hold zero after removal. Cant go wrong with one from A.R.M.S.

Thanks very much.
  • MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
    edited November -1
    Don't know about the A2 but I use Leupold quick release mounts on all my scoped rifles. They definitely hold zero - no problem. I like them for several reasons...access to open sights, 2 or more scopes can be sighted for the same rifle, scope can be quickly replaced if damaged and I find it easier to clean the rifle with scope removed.

SANY0190.jpg

Ron
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    The A.R.M.S. mount for the carry handle of an AR is a 'see through' mount. You don't need to take it off to use the irons.

• Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rebel_James
    The A.R.M.S. mount for the carry handle of an AR is a 'see through' mount. You don't need to take it off to use the irons. The mount has a slot so you can look through it to use the irons.

edited November -1
    Yeah that reminds me, You can get 2 bases and switch between a red dot and a magnified scope.

If it is a full length rifle 600 yard shots on smallish targets are possible, that can be very useful If versitility is needed.
    edited November -1
    I'm going to start building a AR also and undecided as to a 20" barrel and a 16" barrel. It will be basically only for range fun and bug out situations. It will not be a hunting type weapon. Is the 16" barrel good for say 200 yards with a basic aimpoint? I'm not sure which aimpoint I'm going to get yet. I haven't really researched them at all, but I've read where the battery life is good for 5 years which is why I'm going for one. I was thinking of a reflex sight, but it seems they could become trouble very easily out in the woods and adverse conditions.

Haven't decided to go with a standard stock or a 6 position stock yet either. I like the standard stock because nothing moves to break, but I do like the 6 position so I can get it up closer for enclosed spaces.

I also like the idea of putting night sights on it. If I'm in a light sensative situation it should be easy enough to put a little mud or shoe polish to stock the sites from glowing.
    edited November -1
    Oh Yeah, An aimpoint is good to about 350-400 yards on an AR carbine. The ML3 is the model I'd recomend, it has 5 years of battery life and is waterproof and shock proof.

I like the A1 stock, the A2 screws up the ballance in my opinion.

Sarco has the A1 stocks for 40.00 bucks with everything included.

Sarco also has some 14" 1-12" twist colt slim contour barrels. I have been thinking about buying one or three and wielding 2" flash supressors on them and building some light weight carbines.
    edited November -1
    Oh Yeah, An aimpoint is good to about 350-400 yards on an AR carbine. The ML3 is the model I'd recomend, it has 5 years of battery life and is waterproof and shock proof.

I like the A1 stock, the A2 screws up the ballance in my opinion.

Sarco has the A1 stocks for 40.00 bucks with everything included.

Sarco also has some 14" 1-12" twist colt slim contour barrels. I have been thinking about buying one or three and wielding 2" flash supressors on them and building some light weight carbines.

Great info thank you.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    If I could only choose one AR I personally would go with a basically stock A2 version. The only real change I feel it needs is a new pistol grip. I am a fan of the Ergo Grips. These fill up the hand an put your finger in the proper place on the trigger.

As for optics I only have them on 2 of my AR's. I have a C-More which is a dot type site on my 9mm, and good (IOR) glass on my target rifle. Other then that I am not a real fan but that is my preference.

If you are going with a 20" gun I would NOT do a sliding stock, I cant think of a good reason to do it. As for the A2 vs A1...... well I guess that is a preference. The A2 is slightly longer, heavier, and shaped quite a bit different.

Colt SP-1 (A1) on top, A2 on the bottom:

DSC04635.jpg
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would stick with a 1/9 or 1/7 twist...gives you alot more options in bullet weights to shoot. With a 1/12 you would not get very good accuracy with anything above 69 gr. Above that and you going to be keyholing targets...hence the reason they( LE and Military) have gone away from the 1/12 especially in the shorter barrel configurations...
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    My a.r.m.s. mount works great, and I have no problem with more than one click windage wise at 100 yards with my ior optic.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I LOVE my Ergo grip...makes a huge difference especially during prolonged shooting/training...doesn't transfer heat or cold....doesn't get slick when your sweaty....and its comfy
    edited November -1
    Nwcid I beleive if was you that posted a picture of a Ar you own with a skeleton stock. How do you like that? Seems like it would cut down on weight and such.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    I would stick with a 1/9 or 1/7 twist...gives you alot more options in bullet weights to shoot. With a 1/12 you would not get very good accuracy with anything above 69 gr. Above that and you going to be keyholing targets...hence the reason they( LE and Military) have gone away from the 1/12 especially in the shorter barrel configurations...

Thats exactly why I want to build short barreled 1x12" carbines. shallow wound bullet upset. plus Packing 300 round of 45-55 grain ammo is easier then packing the same amount of 75 grain ammo. From what I've seen with 1x12" 16" barrels, they are good enough inside 250-300yards.

I only use the heavy stuff with certian rifles anyway.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kodiakk
    Nwcid I beleive if was you that posted a picture of a Ar you own with a skeleton stock. How do you like that? Seems like it would cut down on weight and such.

I had the ACE stock on my target AR for a long time. I did like it and it served me well but it never did balance well on this gun. The stock weighs a tiny 11oz and the target gun has a 1" dimeter heavy barrel under the handguards and is 24" in total length. I added a Magpul PRS stock that is about 1.5 lb (since they include the buffer tube in the total weight and ACE does not) which while making the gun heavier makes it balance way better.

I have the ACE on my .300 Whisper (ok I lied I have a scope on this one too, but not the one in the pic) since it was laying around. It balance much better on this gun since it only has a 16" barrel but it is still a very heavy barrel. As soon as Magpul puts out the UBR stock in OD I will be adding one since it weighs about 1.25 lb.

So what this all means in english is if you go with a standard profile 16" gun it is a great stock that balances well and is not to expensive at $90.

Target rifle with PRS stock:

DSC06840.jpg

.300 Whisper with ACE, when adding the suppressor the forward weight is very noticeable:

DSC06295.jpg

Notice what grip all the guns have, other then the SP-1....
    edited November -1
    Not to be snippy but that is actually a Magpul PRS in the top photo. The Magpul UBR is a collapsible model.

PRS: precision rifle stock
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-PRS-AR15-M16-Stock-Black-p/magpul prs ar15 m16 - black.htm

UBR: Utility battle rifle stock.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-UBR-Utility-Battle-Rifle-Stock-FDE-p/magpul ubr stock fde.htm

Both are great precisio stock choices For specialized configurations.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kodiakk
    I'm going to start building a AR also and undecided as to a 20" barrel and a 16" barrel. It will be basically only for range fun and bug out situations. It will not be a hunting type weapon. Is the 16" barrel good for say 200 yards with a basic aimpoint? I'm not sure which aimpoint I'm going to get yet. I haven't really researched them at all, but I've read where the battery life is good for 5 years which is why I'm going for one. I was thinking of a reflex sight, but it seems they could become trouble very easily out in the woods and adverse conditions.

Haven't decided to go with a standard stock or a 6 position stock yet either. I like the standard stock because nothing moves to break, but I do like the 6 position so I can get it up closer for enclosed spaces.

I also like the idea of putting night sights on it. If I'm in a light sensative situation it should be easy enough to put a little mud or shoe polish to stock the sites from glowing.

A 14.5" barrel is good to 600 meters with an Aimpoint if you're a good enough shot and can even see the target.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I guess with all the see through mounts out there i dont see a need for quick release mounts. I have see through mounts on the two rifles that i have that have iron sites.
    edited November -1
    Not to be snippy but that is actually a Magpul PRS in the top photo. The Magpul UBR is a collapsible model.

Too many damn initials on stuff [:I]
    edited November -1
    Its all good.

I was wanting to see how you liked a UBR on a varmint rifle, I think it would be a good choice For a compact varmint rig.

I have dialup so the suspense was killing me.[:D]

Foiled again.
    edited November -1
    Its all good.

I was wanting to see how you liked a UBR on a varmint rifle, I think it would be a good choice For a compact varmint rig.

Due to the way it slides I think it would be a fairly good choice since the cheek weld would stay the same no matter how you had it. I still think I would choose the PRS though for that application.
    edited November -1
    I think I am going to try it.

Maybe an rock river 18" bull, I've been looking for something new to try. I have been thinking about building a gas piston upper to. Maybe I'll roll it up into one and see what happens.

Now all I have to do is find someone who makes a piston kit that will fit a rock river bull barrel.