In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

More on Breast feeding

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited June 2012 in General Discussion
breastfeeding.png

Photo is on MSN.

quote:Is breast-feeding while in uniform conduct unbecoming to a military mom?

The debate over nursing in public got a new layer recently, when photos taken on an Air Force base began to circulate online. In the series of tasteful professional photos showing beaming moms as they nurse their kids, one jumps out: the photo of two servicewomen with their uniform shirts unbuttoned and hiked up to breast-feed.

"A lot of people are saying it's a disgrace to the uniform. They're comparing it to urinating and defecating [while in uniform]," says Crystal Scott, a military spouse who started Mom2Mom in January as a breast-feeding support group for military moms and "anyone related to the base" at Fairchild AFB outside Spokane, Wash. "It's extremely upsetting. Defecating in public is illegal. Breast-feeding is not."

It was Scott's idea to ask photographer Brynja Sigurdardottir to take photos of real-life breast-feeding moms to create posters for National Breastfeeding Awareness Month in August. One of the moms photographed in uniform, Terran Echegoyen-McCabe, breast-feeds her 10-month-old twin girls on her lunch breaks during drill weekends as a member of the Air National Guard.

"I have breast-fed in our lobby, in my car, in the park ... and I pump, usually in the locker room," she says. "I'm proud to be wearing a uniform while breast-feeding. I'm proud of the photo and I hope it encourages other women to know they can breast-feed whether they're active duty, guard or civilian."

She said she's surprised by the reaction to the photos, which also feature her friend Christina Luna, because it never occurred to her that breast-feeding in uniform would cause such a stir.

"There isn't a policy saying we can or cannot breast-feed in uniform," Echegoyen-McCabe says. "I think it's something that every military mom who is breast-feeding has done. ... I think we do need to be able to breast-feed in uniform and be protected."

The Air Force has no policy specifically addressing breast-feeding in uniform, according to Air Force spokesperson Captain Rose Richeson, who added, "Airmen should be mindful of their dress and appearance and present a professional image at all times while in uniform."

Brynja Sigurdardottir

Terran Echegoyen-McCabe, left, and Christina Luna breast-feed their children. Terran says she's proud of the photo, though she didn't expect it to get such a reaction.

Robyn Roche-Paull has been advocating for such a policy since she left the U.S. Navy 15 years ago. Her challenges in breast-feeding her son while on active duty - she recalls her "flaming red face" upon being reprimanded for nursing in a medical waiting room - prompted her to write a book called "Breastfeeding in Combat Boots" as a resource for military moms. She is now an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant who remains close to the military through her active-duty husband and her blog for military moms.

"If you follow the comments on my blog, a lot of the comments are that the breast-feeding mothers are the ones who need to be covered up. Nobody sees anything wrong with bottle feeding mothers or fathers," she says. "Asking mothers to feed a baby by bottle when they are together, simply because they are in uniform, can both affect the mom's milk supply and her willingness to keep breast-feeding or stay in the military. It's simply one more barrier they have to face."

The criticism of the photo goes beyond the usual nursing-in-public debate, though. One commenter on Roche-Paull's website who identified herself as a retired captain in the Marine Corps said she advocated for breast-feeding moms in the military and now, as a civilian, she nurses freely on base. However, she writes:

"I would never nurse in uniform. I took my child to the bathroom or a private office when her nanny brought her to me .. Not because I was ashamed of nursing, nor of being a mother. All the guys knew I pumped. The military is not a civilian job. We go to combat and we make life or death decisions, and not just for ourselves but for those we lead. The same reason I would never nurse in uniform is the same reason I do not chew gum, or walk and talk on my cell phone, or even run into the store in my utility uniform. ... We are warfighting professionals. Women before us have worked too hard to earn and retain the respect of their male peers. I don't want my Marines to look at me any other way than as a Marine. When I am asking them to fly into combat with me and do a dangerous mission, I do not want them to have the mental image of a babe at my breast. I want them to only see me as a Marine. Let's be a realistic folks. We give up many freedoms being in the military.Breastfeeding in front of my fellow Marines was one of them."

Another commenter on the blog replies:

"There is N-O-T-H-I-N-G more authoritative than a strong mother standing tall breastfeeding as she barks orders. It's AWESOME that you've worked so hard promote breastfeeding, but I think you *might* be selling yourself short."

The women in the photo have given some thought to the whole question of military versus maternal duties. To those who believe breast-feeding in uniform undermines the authority of a female officer, Echegoyen-McCabe says:

"I guess my thoughts are, if you don't want to breast-feed in your uniform, you don't have to. But you should have respect for those who do. ... If anything, it should make people look at you as someone who is able to multitask."

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    WHY are MOTHERS even allowed to join the armed forces.???[:(!]

Happens after they join.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Happens after they join.

Yep, they want those military bennies. You probably remember the female recruits at Parris Island trying to get pregnant at boot camp!
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, but this is kind of a BS article. Who, exactly, complained? Some people on an internet forum? One person while one of the women was nursing in a waiting room 15 YEARS AGO?

Everybody who knows squat knows women are allowed to nurse whereever they damn well please, and the wrath of all women and 50% of men will be brought down on the heads of those who dare complain about it.

Sorry, this is BS. This is an article about a problem from long, long ago. Can you honestly imagine in 2012 a military officer rebuking a woman for breastfeeding? Keep in mind that the Fort Hood shooter regularly spoke about how he planned to carry out jihad and NOBODY said anything because they were so terrified of offending the PC police.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:"A lot of people are saying it's a disgrace to the uniform. They're comparing it to urinating and defecating [while in uniform]," says Crystal Scott, a military spouse..."

"A lot of people" are idiots.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,042 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ten hut. [;)][:D]
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    quote:"A lot of people are saying it's a disgrace to the uniform. They're comparing it to urinating and defecating [while in uniform]," says Crystal Scott, a military spouse..."

A lot of people are not idiots. Don
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    Anyone who compares feeding a child to the elimination of * waste is lacking in intelligence.
  • Options
    rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    I strangely am staring at a pack of chocolate chip cookies right now. don't really know why. strange. [;)]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Women have been breast feeding for millennia. Why is it a big controversy all of a sudden? In the old days, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, when women needed to feed the baby they tried to maintain as much privacy as possible under the circumstances they were in at the time. They weren't looking to start a fight. I wonder if that might have something to do with it.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    quote: quote:"A lot of people are saying it's a disgrace to the uniform. They're comparing it to urinating and defecating [while in uniform]," says Crystal Scott, a military spouse..."

I'm in total agreement!!
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

A lot of people are not idiots. Don

So, by your logic, if I was in uniform on duty and needed to complete my morning constitutional (while in uniform at my desk on post) I should

A: Strip naked and proceed to the latrine
    B: change to my civvies and proceed to the latrine
    C: Tell you to STFU and proceed about my business.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    Women have been breast feeding for millennia. Why is it a big controversy all of a sudden? In the old days, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, when women needed to feed the baby they tried to maintain as much privacy as possible under the circumstances they were in at the time. They weren't looking to start a fight. I wonder if that might have something to do with it.

Probably because some lonely POS had nothing better to do than look for something that has not yet been brought up[:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK

Probably because some lonely POS had nothing better to do than look for something that has not yet been brought up[:(!]

I think in general it is the same libtards that are trying to make abortion a big issue. They want to kill all babies and find women feeding them and keeping them healthy to be offensive.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxmike_2
    I strangely am staring at a pack of chocolate chip cookies right now. don't really know why. strange. [;)]

It was an Oreo AD and I thought it was the best damn ad I have ever seen...

The Tag line is "Milk's Favorite Cookie"

And no, I will not post the original image here for copyright purposes.

(and yes I am an Oreo junkie....)
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice . . . and no complaints. [:)]
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With women in uniform comes feminization of the military. Imagine that! The next step will be banning on lookers from takikng more then a two second glace.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a problem with the breast feeding in uniform, if conducted discretely. I have a problem with any member of the military participating in a photo shoot intended to gin up a controversy. As far as I am concerned if they are representing the Air Force they should have to seek permission to participate in such a photo shoot while in uniform. This photo strikes me as a staged event. Just my opinion. People out looking for trouble just like that Marine that spouted off on facebook.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Big or small, I like em all.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    I don't have a problem with the breast feeding in uniform, if conducted discretely. I have a problem with any member of the military participating in a photo shoot intended to gin up a controversy. As far as I am concerned if they are representing the Air Force they should have to seek permission to participate in such a photo shoot while in uniform. This photo strikes me as a staged event. Just my opinion. People out looking for trouble just like that Marine that spouted off on facebook.

I agree. It's the "Hey, everybody, look at me! I'm breastfeeding, see how liberated I am" mentality that I object to. I prefer when it's not in my face, so to speak. Whatever happened to discretion?

Oh, and by the way, Nunn, I'm NOT an idiot. Obviously, you're the expert, though.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Big or small, I like em all.

I'm like a woman in a shoe store. I want to see every pair!
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is against UCMJ to wear a uniform when supporting a political candidate. In fact, one soldier did so and faced disciplinary action.

This is no different in my opinion. It is wearing a uniform while supporting a "cause". These two service women are using their uniforms to make a statement.

They are violating uniform code for the expediency of breast feeding in public. No cover (hat to you civilians) and unbuttoned blouses.

I support a woman's right to breast feed, just don't use the uniform to push the issue.

That is disgraceful. [:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by susie
    It is against UCMJ to wear a uniform when supporting a political candidate. In fact, one soldier did so and faced disciplinary action.

This is no different in my opinion. It is wearing a uniform while supporting a "cause". These two service women are using their uniforms to make a statement.

They are violating uniform code for the expediency of breast feeding in public. No cover (hat to you civilians) and unbuttoned blouses.

I support a woman's right to breast feed, just don't use the uniform to push the issue.

+1
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

Well said. I don't have a problem with breast feeding, homosexuality, people of different skin color, or any of the other thousand groups who claim to be discriminated against. What I DO have a problem with is when they get in your face about it, making you feel somehow inferior if you aren't out trumpeting about how great they are. You want to breast feed and be in the Air Force? Fine. Thanks for your service. Put a towel over that. Maybe breasts shouldn't be seen as 'private parts' but in our society they ARE, and just because you're using them for what they are for doesn't mean that exposing them is right. After all, my weiner can be used for making new life, a beautiful act- but I'm not going to demonstrate for my right to copulate in public. I have some sense of decency and what should be done where. These women obviously don't, AND are using their position to politicize the issue.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put 'em in a burka.

Clouder..
  • Options
    xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problem with breast feeding but I'm curios, what ever happened to modesty and throwing a blanket over a shoulder to hide the luggage?

Different generation i guess.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Being out of proper uniform in public is unacceptable and a violation of uniform regs, regardless of the reason.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Being out of proper uniform in public is unacceptable and a violation of uniform regs, regardless of the reason.

THIS is correct. Well stated.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    They were in uniform? Honestly, I had to go back and look at the photo. Nyuk! Nyuk!
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the main thing I gleened from this article is it is possible to be a "board certified lactation consultant". I wonder if they're taking applications ?
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Happens after they join.

Yep, they want those military bennies. You probably remember the female recruits at Parris Island trying to get pregnant at boot camp!

I stayed so tired at PI that I couldn't have gotten anybody pregnant!!!![xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

That is the only problem I have with it.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,066 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by susie

Agree!!
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,066 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by xstuntman
    No problem with breast feeding but I'm curios, what ever happened to modesty and throwing a blanket over a shoulder to hide the luggage?

Agree!!!
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,042 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I am with you on that one.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

I am with you on that one.
    +10000000000000
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    These women bring their infants with them while on duty? How do they do their duty? How do they carry a weapon. I remember years ago when a pregnant woman was automatically discharged.