In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Texas Rat Snake

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
People called about a snake in their yard. It was a hot, sunny day. There was shade between the hedge and the house, and it was moist there from watering, so the snake logically took refuge.

I reached in and picked it up. It was a nice one, about three and a half feet long. I explained to the homeowner how beneficial these snakes are, that his home is in a new development, surrounded by open fields and woods, and there are mice. He said he had seen mice in his garage. I told him that rodents will nest in motor vehicles, and will chew wiring and upholstery.

I was going to remove the snake to a wooded area and release it, but the homeowner changed his mind and wanted it to stay, so I turned it loose right where it was.

Comments

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I moved a pallet the other day and a giant black snake was under it. It slithered out to the field next door to the house. I have to mow that field soon to keep the coyote's away from the house. If the field is tall they get real close.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These morons in the Columbia SC TV were calling this a Rat Snake...

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=188166

snake.jpg

Not far south of there on the Fourth of July, I was out hiking with my BIL who is a herpetologist with the Park Service and we came upon a large rat snake in the middle of the path sunning. It was about 6ft, maybe a little more and he said that was very large for the area. I asked him about this report on TV and he laughed for a long time.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ran over a rattlesnake a few days ago. Made a nice gooey popping sound.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i would call it with *9 shot
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    i would call it with *9 shot

WHY??????? and scream like a girl while doing it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

snake.jpg

Not far south of there on the Fourth of July, I was out hiking with my BIL who is a herpetologist with the Park Service and we came upon a large rat snake in the middle of the path sunning. It was about 6ft, maybe a little more and he said that was very large for the area. I asked him about this report on TV and he laughed for a long time.
    I can clearly see that is a South Carolina Game Cock Snake![:D]

LMAO [:D]
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [:)] Northern Nevada Desert-road leading toit and this little devil "pissed off", was enjoying the asphalt heat in the morning !

11-17WBY22-250135-1.jpg

[:o)] JIMBO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We know that rat snakes can grow quite large. I have seen six-footers, and seven-footers aren't unheard of. Regarding the picture of the one in the news story, there is nothing in the picture for scale, so I can't tell the size of the snake, and people do tend to exaggerate.

Several years ago, we kept getting reports of a big snake in peoples' yards and outbuildings. We looked for it several times, but did not find it. People described it as being 12 feet to 20 feet long. Eventually, the guys on night shift found it. It was a Burmese python, and it was 11 feet long. It was captured and sent to a wildlife learning center where it will live out its days in comfort and not scare people.
  • Options
    1880texan1880texan Member Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snakes ~ kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out. I murder every one of them I run across. Got mice, get a cat.
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    back in the 60's when I lived in orangeburg sc the edistoe river was part of a large swamp and the waters were usually black. some big critters came out every once and a while. once half the town was blacked out by a huge blacksnake that wrapped itself around a main power stations transformer. you gotta be a bigun to do that. it made the local papers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was at Santee, SC at a state park and seen one go across the road ahead of me in the truck.. that thing was huge. I got cold chills and it was 95 outside.
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    Well, sometimes we have to be the teacher. [:)]
  • Options
    sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1880texan
    Snakes ~ kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out. I murder every one of them I run across. Got mice, get a cat.

That's my boy! Yeah! God only made two (2) kinds of snakes; Deadly and Dead. Forget round eyes, triangle head blunt tail...BS! A heart attack can kill faster than any damn snake. Cows and chickens each have some purposes in life...so do snakes, that being belts, boots and hat bands![^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot

snake.jpg

Looks like a black rat snake to me. I saw one at my place in Tennessee stretched completly across my drive, an easy 7 feet.

The problem is the record black rat snake is right at 8ft. This was over 10 ft. Most likely an escaped python. They have a real problem with those down in south florida now, Hurricane Andrew destroyed a breeding facility right near the everglades and all those snakes escaped.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Snakes ~ kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out. I murder every one of them I run across. Got mice, get a cat.
    Statement of ignorance and bigotry. A cat kills mice for fun; a snake kills them for survival. A snake will account for far more kills than a cat.

quote: Yeah! God only made two (2) kinds of snakes; Deadly and Dead. Forget round eyes, triangle head blunt tail...BS! A heart attack can kill faster than any damn snake. Cows and chickens each have some purposes in life...so do snakes, that being belts, boots and hat bands!
    Another statement of ignorance and bigotry.

You can't make belts and boots from snake skin. You have to glue the snake skin to leather for it to have any thickness. Snake skin is as thin as paper and nearly as fragile.

How is it that such a pitiful creature instills such fear? They can't fly, they can't jump, and the fastest one on Earth can do about 6 mph. They have no claws to scratch with and no hands to grab with. All they have is their teeth, and any creature will bite if cornered and threatened.

Big strong men, afraid of pitiful little snakes! Sad!
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call it ignorance, bigotry, or whatever else. When you come close to losing a foot to a rattlesnake, you tend to not think highly of snakes, period. So, go ahead with your "it was scared, offended, defending it's territory, etc" garbage. I'll kill every snake I see, from now on, and I'll be damned if I'll apologize for it, or have someone call me less of a man for it.[}:)][;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot

snake.jpg

Looks like a black rat snake to me. I saw one at my place in Tennessee stretched completly across my drive, an easy 7 feet.

The problem is the record black rat snake is right at 8ft. This was over 10 ft. Most likely an escaped python. They have a real problem with those down in south florida now, Hurricane Andrew destroyed a breeding facility right near the everglades and all those snakes escaped.
    Not a rat snake, I used to buy all kinds of exotic venomous snakes from here http://www.tomcrutchfield.com/2009/ many many moons ago. They are illegal to own nowadays, without permit, even here in Alabama [:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lots of bites from venomous snakes are "dry bites," but if you are unlucky enough to be envenomated, it can be a scary experience. That stated, it is also true that some of the "first aid" treatments that have been touted over the years can be more damaging than the bite.

A good friend lost a finger, not because of the bite, but because of the cryotherapy that was in vogue at the time. The snake was small, and hit with one fang, so in retrospect, had the finger not been packed in ice, and the venom had been allowed to spread throughout the arm, diluted if you will, then he probably would have suffered no permanent damage.

One has a greater chance of being struck by lightning than bitten by a venomous snake. Most people who are bitten were bitten while trying to catch, kill, or otherwise mess with the snake. Then there are folks who just don't keep a lookout when in snake country. They put their hands and feet into places where they cannot see, or did not look. When in snake cover, one has to be vigilant and careful. I believe those who are bitten through no fault of their own are in the extreme minority.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Lots of bites from venomous snakes are "dry bites," but if you are unlucky enough to be envenomated, it can be a scary experience. That stated, it is also true that some of the "first aid" treatments that have been touted over the years can be more damaging than the bite.

A good friend lost a finger, not because of the bite, but because of the cryotherapy that was in vogue at the time. The snake was small, and hit with one fang, so in retrospect, had the finger not been packed in ice, and the venom had been allowed to spread throughout the arm, diluted if you will, then he probably would have suffered no permanent damage.

One has a greater chance of being struck by lightning than bitten by a venomous snake. Most people who are bitten were bitten while trying to catch, kill, or otherwise mess with the snake. Then there are folks who just don't keep a lookout when in snake country. They put their hands and feet into places where they cannot see, or did not look. When in snake cover, one has to be vigilant and careful. I believe those who are bitten through no fault of their own are in the extreme minority.

What I have just in case, I never had to use it, thank goodness.

http://www.rei.com/product/407144/sawyer-extractor-pump-kit
  • Options
    edited November -1
    At least the description states that the included razor is for hair removal. Presumably the instructions state to NOT use the razor or anything else to enlarge the bite wound. That was the first aid method of choice 50 years ago, and crippled more people than the bites did.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    At least the description states that the included razor is for hair removal. Presumably the instructions state to NOT use the razor or anything else to enlarge the bite wound. That was the first aid method of choice 50 years ago, and crippled more people than the bites did.
    Yep it does, hair got to be removed, so you get good seal, sucking the venom out :)
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a fan of snakes. Having said that, any non-poisionous snakes around my home/yard get a free pass. I have kept neighborhood kids from killing snakes in my yard. You could tell they thought I was nuts.[:D]

I have never seen a poisionous snake. If I see one in my yard, he will be a dead snake. I'm not going to leave a snake in my yard that could possibly harm family members or my Border Collie.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also would not leave a venomous snake near my home. I have seen rat snakes, green snakes, a prairie king snake, water snakes, lined snakes, and just the other day, I saw a ringneck snake. I won't bother them; they have their place.

Now, if I find a cottonmouth around my pond, or a copperhead in the yard, I will likely kill it if I can't conveniently move it. I too have dogs and cats, and children regularly visit here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also would not leave a venomous snake near my home. I have seen rat snakes, green snakes, a prairie king snake, water snakes, lined snakes, and just the other day, I saw a ringneck snake. I won't bother them; they have their place.

Now, if I find a cottonmouth around my pond, or a copperhead in the yard, I will likely kill it if I can't conveniently move it. I too have dogs and cats, and children regularly visit here.

I've had copperheads and cottonmouths in the yard and I know there are timber rattlers but I have not seen any in the yard. Plenty of rat snakes, eastern king snakes, green garden snakes and more garter snakes than you can shake a stick at. Had a little tiny ringneck get into the basement, scared the hell out of the kids.

That many snakes mean they are eating a lot of vermin and I am plenty happy to let them be. Just have to be careful with the kids and the dogs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We also have geckos. They live in the house and go outside at night to eat bugs around the porch lights and windows.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live on he edge of a swamp,which runs a 1/4 mile to the river...we ave everything you can think of...Snakes,any kind except cobra's..Red Tail Hawks..they keep the squirrels in check,black snakes,Copper heads..Timber Rattlers..and very large 'gators!...any kind of bug,and armadillos...lizards of many species...feral cats as well...wild pigs keep the snake population down...[:D]