In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

OK HVAC guys......educate me on mini-splits!

MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in General Discussion
I just got a quote for $7k to install a double zone system in a 500 square foot house. That is a ridiculous price, imo! The other people told me over the phone it would be at least $6k. Have people lost their minds?

Anyway, can anyone give a good brand recommendation on these mini-split units?

I'm going with a mini-split instead of a conventional system due to the fact that it is a flat roof, and I don't want to cut 4 huge holes in it for duct work, because I KNOW it will leak eventually! Also, the ease of installation.

Any tips and/or warnings?

Thanks!

Merc

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    500 or 5000 ?????????????????????????????????
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    500, it is a guest house. But it has no heat or ac.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For only a guest house, I would look into something like the thru the wall ac/heaters. You could install 3 of them with the added 240v outlets wiring for less than $2000.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/PBH113G35CB.html
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    mini splits are VERY efficient, Very quiet, and very expensive. They work very well and on most you get heating too (heat pump mode). Mitsubisi (sp?) make very good ones. cry once
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever you do..
    DO NOT buy an LG.

Parts are hard to get, and are expensive.

We have 7 of the LG systems that I service and I absolutely hate them.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I added a 250 SF sunroom on my house 12 years ago, & installed a Fujitsu split pack system. The indoor unit is mounted high on the wall, & does a great job. The only problems I had: 1) the indoor unit needs a place to drain the condensate, & 2) the refrigerant lines must be insulated separately.

One important thing you need to consider: you need a separate indoor unit for each room. Mitsubishi makes a great system that allows you to have up to 4 indoor units running off a single outdoor unit, but that will run you $7,000. If your house needs only 2 or 3 indoor units, that will reduce the cost. Since you set the temp of each indoor unit, multi split packs may save electricity.

It doesn't sound like the folks you talked to were unreasonable. A double zone system in a dog house will cost almost as much as a double zone system in a mini mansion, because you still need 2 of almost everything.

Neal

P1000444_zpsranolj64.jpg
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    mini splits are VERY efficient, Very quiet, and very expensive. They work very well and on most you get heating too (heat pump mode). Mitsubisi (sp?) make very good ones. cry once

Mrbuttcheese sold out to panasonic. (They are here in town) on any of these units I recommend having an extra blower wheel on hand at all times. When the freon runs low (and it will) the interior coils ice up and that interferes with the blower wheel which is cheap plastic. once it shreds the out of balance wheel will destroy the motor and potentiality the coil.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    I added a 250 SF sunroom on my house 12 years ago, & installed a Fujitsu split pack system. The indoor unit is mounted high on the wall, & does a great job. The only problems I had: 1) the indoor unit needs a place to drain the condensate, & 2) the refrigerant lines must be insulated separately.

One important thing you need to consider: you need a separate indoor unit for each room. Mitsubishi makes a great system that allows you to have up to 4 indoor units running off a single outdoor unit, but that will run you $7,000. If your house needs only 2 or 3 indoor units, that will reduce the cost. Since you set the temp of each indoor unit, multi split packs may save electricity.

It doesn't sound like the folks you talked to were unreasonable. A double zone system in a dog house will cost almost as much as a double zone system in a mini mansion, because you still need 2 of almost everything.

Neal

P1000444_zpsranolj64.jpg

These are the units I install. Everything stated above is 100% correct. The price is not out of line for your job. The cost of material alone is about 3500 to 4000. They should take about a day to install or less. Then add in his labor, insurance, gas, truck payments, health insurance, employee labor,so on and so on. He is not making a killing, just a living. I personally think he is being fair and doing right by you. Get references and go online and read the reviews on different units. Check out consumer reports and what other people have to say. They are extremely quite and efficient. Best locations are on an outside wall if possible for the drains. They can be a real pain in the neck to connect on the inside walls. 500 sq. feet is not a really big area. One unit should suffice, unless the areas are really cut up. Oakie
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought mine on line , and have had to order one part..got it the next day...20.00 and most was postage...when we finished, I had less than 700.00...but mine is only 8500 BTU's...heat and cool...
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The best part for my money was the amperage dropped (window unit)from 9 amps to 3 amps! Cost of electricity has dropped...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mine is a "Shinco"..(china)but parts come from Canada..