In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vietnam....

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
....I wonder if I had lived during the War of Northern Aggression, if I would have felt the same way as Vietnam...Ken Burns story is bringing up memories...but I need to watch it...55,000 killed for nothing....just like Iraq....when will it stop..the flower of youth being lost with no dividend...."When will we ever learn"....[V]

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Johnson knew the war was unwinnable, but lied to the American people, and continued with the war.

In 1971, Nixon was on tape, talking to Kissinger, and told him "I know this war cannot be won. But of course I can't say that. I will say the opposite to the press so I can be re elected next year."

Good God do I feel sorry for the young men who were killed or damaged for a pack of lies by Washington politicians. What a sickening disgrace.

I had several friends who were destroyed by that G-D war. Not killed in the 'Nam, but came back heroin addicts.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 school classmates died in battle, 3 friends from other small towns went over there, who those young men were when they came home i don't know. they were changed so completely the young man that we knew became something not recognisable... all for what? the hippies were right. you can't trust the government.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every war ever fought more then likely is a war of political BS and not so much the people defending themselves from tyranny.

The facts seem to point to the reality that they all lied about the involvement in the war nad not for secrecy sake of keeping men safe but to save face and play politics with American lives.

quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Johnson knew the war was unwinnable, but lied to the American people, and continued with the war.

In 1971, Nixon was on tape, talking to Kissinger, and told him "I know this war cannot be won. But of course I can't say that. I will say the opposite to the press so I can be re elected next year."

Good God do I feel sorry for the young men who were killed or damaged for a pack of lies by Washington politicians. What a sickening disgrace.

I had several friends who were destroyed by that G-D war. Not killed in the 'Nam, but came back heroin addicts.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a hard show to watch, some parts of it were just too much.

What pissed me off to no end is the people who did thier duty, draftees or enlisted on thier own who went and were killed while the protestors jumped into Canada.

I don't care for the reasons, I don't care how badly they were against the war, draft dodgers are nothing but self centered cowards who are not fit to lick dog poop from the boots of those who went.

I wanted to fight in 2003 but Uncle Sam would not take me, Vietnam draft dodgers are coddled and forgiven, it just aint right.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The series was billed as a "discourse" of different views. Utter BS. It was a bitter, anti-war, leftist diatribe. It completely ignored those of us who went there to defend the South against communism, fought honestly, and came home with honor. There was little mention of the Air Force effort and none at all about the Navy.

One featured "soldier" was Tim O'Brien, that half man consumed by angst and self apology so beloved by the left. His books should have been titled "Kooking with Whine."
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky- if we should ever meet face to face, the beer is on me. Could not agree more with everything you just said.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Read "A Bright and Shining Lie"

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    ....I wonder if I had lived during the War of Northern Aggression, if I would have felt the same way as Vietnam...Ken Burns story is bringing up memories...but I need to watch it...55,000 killed for nothing....just like Iraq....when will it stop..the flower of youth being lost with no dividend...."When will we ever learn"....[V]

To some extent, Paul, I do believe we would have felt the same way as our ancestors did toward certain people and groups of people. Today as then, rich people and agenda ridden activists controlled the day, and thus played a very big part in laying the groundwork for that war, and most wars since WWII.

What kind of climate will we have in America ten years from now? When kids of today have been taught by the agenda riddden adults in their lives to be defiant, to disrespect our flags, all in a manner that perpetuates hate through violence and, perhaps, another half century of reparations and head of the line privileges for certain people, including the open borders, warmongers, and ANTIFA like Fascist progressives...equality for all, be damned! They know that and we know that.
    What's next?
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Rocky- if we should ever meet face to face, the beer is on me. Could not agree more with everything you just said.

Saved me some time...but I doubt that I would have ever watched it to begin with.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    The series was billed as a "discourse" of different views. Utter BS. It was a bitter, anti-war, leftist diatribe. It completely ignored those of us who went there to defend the South against communism, fought honestly, and came home with honor. There was little mention of the Air Force effort and none at all about the Navy.

One featured "soldier" was Tim O'Brien, that half man consumed by angst and self apology so beloved by the left. His books should have been titled "Kooking with Whine."

+1
    RLTW

• Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    It was win-able!!![:(!] But only if the military was allowed to do what is necessary. When it is micro managed by politicians it is a forgone conclusion it will be unwinnable![:(!]
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    I was griping about the protesters to a friend of mine who was in Vietnam. he is a combat vet. he stopped me. said if it hadn't been for them he probably would have never made it home. said they kept the pressure on the politicians. I cant stand protesters. but I had to re think it a little. he was there, and I wasn't. that war was just a waste of life. the intentions of stopping communism was valid. but the politicians wouldn't let them win.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...the biggest problem,was the draftees were only in country for 1 year, as soon as they were trained they went home, very few battle hardened troops.....we never had any trained troops on the ground....the war effort was invoked to inject money in the economy...RMK-BRJ was the largest Construction conglomerate to ever assemble.....They poured billions in the Viet economy.....all paid for by LBJ...his wife owned quite a bit of stock in Brown and Root....its always about the money....