In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Boss, adjustable Muzzle Break

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in General Discussion
Do you guys think its worth it? A friend brought one over chambered for the .270 to line up. I cant remember the old one I had being that loud, wow felt like the earth shook with the gun. We never got MOA groups it wanted to throw a flyer every 4 rounds. I hated to let him down, but I finally give up and recommended him trade it in on another rifle. Adjustable muzzle break? Not this one. Whats your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one on a ABolt 300 Win mag, never cared for it. One thing is, it lets other hunter know where your at.
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning Bar safari grade in 7 Rem mag with the boss system on it.

It came with a solid end cap to use, instead of the muzzle break.

I much prefer the solid, as even when wearing ear plugs or muffs , it was deafening.

When adjusted property, I can get a dime to cover the holes at 100 yds.

It came with a pamphlet giving you base settings for different projectile weights as a starting point, then tweak from there.

Don't know that I needed it, but it was on the rifle when I got it.
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They do work. You can buy one without the holes in it and it is much quieter, a simple screw on replacement from Browning.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Evidence suggests that they do work for their intended purpose, taking an otherwise inaccurate rifle and "helping" it group tighter.

You don't see them too often on benchrest rifles, and they are not mandatory to be in the winners circle.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 7mm mag abolt has one. Its amazing how loud it is.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two Model 70's that came with them,and when I replaced the barrels,I had them retained on the new barrels....300 Weatheby and 257 Weatherby....both shoot same hole @ 200yds...Recoil and dial in which ever bullet weight....I have a "Hicks" accurizer on my No.1 which works with the same principle...Harmonic balance....a rifle is loud period...I like muzzle brakes period...easier on the old shoulder...If you know what your doing,you can actually dial the bullet to shoot sub MOA.. don't need to hand load..[;)]
  • Options
    IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one on a Winchester 270 sporter classic. Was damn near a same hole gun at 100 yds.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    I think the reason some of the Brownings need them is because the barrels are "floppy'. I traded for one in 308, and the barrel flexed!!
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were originally made for the Browning Auto Rifle....The Brownings would not group very well.... I owned several(7 Mag 308)1st rnd dead center 2nd was 1 inch left and high 3rd rnd was 3 inchs low to the right...needless to say. I traded them for different rifles... I bought a Win.Mode 70 300 Weatherby chamber with a Boss...when I figured out how to dial it in...I could actually walk the rnds right into dead center...the thing works...[;)]