In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

For 257 Weatherby Guys

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I go along with most of what he says. My primary objection is to the bigger animals absorb more energy so a bigger more powerful bullet is needed. What is needed is a bullet design that spends its energy deep in the interior of the big animal, rather than sending it into the animals muscles.

Also, 264 mag cases work better for reforming to 257 than 7 mag. But since my rifle is custom barreled with no freebore, all of the ammo that I use is handloaded. Factory will blow the primer. But for that inconvenience I get equal velocities with 10 gr less powder and significantly better accuracy. I still have the old German barrel if someone prefers the original arrangement.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Also, 264 mag cases work better for reforming to 257 than 7 mag"

Yes, 264 is an easy reform BUT they come out short-not a big problem since original 257 has quite a long neck.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 257 Roberts is my favorite round, but to small for most big game. The 257 Weatherby has way to much kick for my recoil sensitive body[:o)] I wanted one, but you guys gave me good advice and I went with the Roberts for what I hunt. Oakie
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    My 257 Roberts is my favorite round, but to small for most big game. The 257 Weatherby has way to much kick for my recoil sensitive body[:o)] I wanted one, but you guys gave me good advice and I went with the Roberts for what I hunt. Oakie
    My Winchester model 70 classic with boss,has very little kick...(243)....very accurate with hart barrel! I just thought the link was pretty convincing of Roy Weatherby's fine round! I love mine!