In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Job Interviewing

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
Job Interviewing is like dating.

Both are an ancient form of torture.

To excel in job Interviewing a person needs a bit of narcissism. Just enough love for yourself to sell yourself, tell everyone how wonderful you are and not too much to be obvious.

After two months of it, I am starting to understand it.

This is much more challenging when it is personal.

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang in there. At least you are getting interviews.

I think interviewing is a cool expierience.
  • Options
    rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doing that myself right now. It's hard to strike that balance - enough to sell yourself without sounding conceited.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank goodness, I have not had to do that in over thirty years.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wife has two interviews today for two different jobs at the same Health System. The science of job interviews is really changing, the focus on behavioral interviewing really makes it a lot of stressful and preparation for the applicant. Many of my wife's professional interviews involve half day interviews with multiple groups, projects and presentations. It gets quite frustrating to have to put in that kind of effort and time commitment just to be filler to justify an internal candidate. Today is our Anniversary so I am hoping that is a good omen for her! Her company is in a merger right now, and she may lose her position in the next month. [V]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    Job Interviewing is like dating.

Both are an ancient form of torture.

To excel in job Interviewing a person needs a bit of narcissism. Just enough love for yourself to sell yourself, tell everyone how wonderful you are and not too much to be obvious.

After two months of it, I am starting to understand it.

This is much more challenging when it is personal.
    As a "salesman" I do that daily....your greatest asset is your ability to sell yourself.....[:D]