In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sports going from bad to worse

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
Soccer yesterday and tennis today. No wonder I crave real football.

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    And if it's not soccer and tennis, then it's golf.[:(][:(]
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not know a lot about soccer, but I will say those guys have to be in good shape. Non stop game and constantly on the move.

Tennis and golf I really cannot get in to.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Something good did come on. Most of you would not like it but I do.

Surfing they are in Fiji talk about some great waves.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Something good did come on. Most of you would not like it but I do.

Surfing they are in Fiji talk about some great waves.

Especially those bumps on the boards.[:)][:)]
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soccer was the sport they invented for the kids that couldn't play real football[;)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    Soccer was the sport they invented for the kids that couldn't play real football[;)][:D]

Don't touch play nice.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    [:0][}:)][:D]
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only 9 more Sundays till NFL regular season !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MFI
    Only 9 more Sundays till NFL regular season !!

Think the 1st college game is the same weekend.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    American football, while I love to watch it, does not require the physical stamina that soccer does. Football players run a play, then get a breather before the next play. Soccer players run/play for 90min straight. Football is awesome to watch (Ravens fan) but has become ripe with criminals and types who couldn't make it in any other form of employment. That doesn't change the fact that I love to watch it,...matter of fact, I watch EVERY game with NFL redzone[8D]

Golf, while extremely challenging, is more for the satisfaction of the player than the fan.

I will hold forth the position that there is nothing harder in any sport, than to accurately hit a pitch, going blazing speeds, with a little stick. 98mph fastball comes of the pitcher's hand,..and you have less than .1 sec to make a decision and start your swing, all the while maintaining eye contact with the ball, all the way to bat, and using correct form simultaneously.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    l am so happy l never got interested in sports...[^]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    l am so happy l never got interested in sports...[^]

+1

glad for discovery channel etc.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my cousins was a great high school athlete in football, baseball, and basketball. He lived in Nacogdoches, Texas, and had his pick of the best colleges in the nation, but he was headed for Houston on a baseball scholarship, before he was killed on prom night in a car wreck back in the early 1950s. Today, another great athlete hails from the oldest town in Texas, too, and his name is Clint Dempsey, Captain of the U.S. Soccer Team. Now, I'm not a soccer fan, but I'll be pulling for him and his teammates to win the World Cup.

Check out the video and story about him at: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reluctant-team-usa-star-clint-dempsey-sets-own-terms--leads-by-example-004942685-soccer.html

Here's part of the story:
    RECIFE, Brazil - Clint Dempsey could be all over the media these days, the face of American soccer. It is a face, albeit, with a black eye and broken nose, but in this case that's a positive.

The U.S. men's national team has never been more popular and Dempsey is its captain, its best player in the field and its undeniable heart and soul.

He's scored a goal in both World Cup games. He played through a brutal kick to the face that left his nose bent and, eventually, his right eye darkened. He's made fans forget about Landon Donovan, the only player to score more goals for the U.S. than Dempsey's 39.

[Related: Klinsmann writes letter to excuse Americans from work]

He is already the biggest star in Major League Soccer, and chief attraction for the Seattle Sounders, the most followed team in the league. The World Cup, however, exposes him to exponentially more people.

His is a great story, a kid from a trailer park in the East Texas town of Nacogdoches who chose soccer over football. He wound up an elite player in the English Premier League before returning to the States last year. He is a combination of tremendous ability and a healthy dose of Lone Star tough. He's an easy sell.

He is also reported to be half Kiowa Indian.
    What's next?
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    I will hold forth the position that there is nothing harder in any sport, than to accurately hit a pitch, going blazing speeds, with a little stick. 98mph fastball comes of the pitcher's hand,..and you have less than .1 sec to make a decision and start your swing, all the while maintaining eye contact with the ball, all the way to bat, and using correct form simultaneously.

+1
    And thanks. I pitched for our sports teams during my seven years in the Army. Must be n the blood as my Grandad played ball also. Pitcher in fact.
    Like me, he threw his shoulder away. Difference is, he was being scouted by St. Louis.
    The first game was tied 2-2 and called on account of Darness (there were no lights at his games in 1919) after 12 innings. Play resumed the next day and went an additional 7 innings with Eskridge winning 5-2.
    Hell of a way for a high school senior to end a career in baseball.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    "Herd ball." My daughter played soccer for one season. All it consisted of is a bunch of kids chasing a ball from one end of the field to the other. Normally, I am a very "You made a commitment to do this, you finish it." Needless to say I was relieved when she decided to quit.

Hockey is the sport that I believe requires the most stamina. When you are on the ice, there are no breaks, and you have to do what you need to do while knowing the other guy is trying to kill you. And the season lasts 9 months. And you don't get an entire week in between games to recuperate. This is why you rarely hear of hockey players involved in off-the-clock shenanigans.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now, now my son. We play Belgium tomorrow at 4 pm. I am sure that, once we defeat Belgium and advance to the quarterfinals of the World Cup, you will become a soccer fan.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Cannot hardly wait for the NFL to get started! Go Eagles! Golf, soccer and the things on now are just not for me. Did enjoy watching recently the history of the REAL car racing.......Formula I. Now that was interesting......baseball, soccer, golf....like watching grass grow IMO.
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    Rugby best team game ever.
  • Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stamina and endurance
    apparently you guys have never watched a lacrosse midfielder in action !
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    of all these sports you guys talk about, you forgot the best.... bowling, where a potbellied beergutted old man can set and drink beer, only have to stand up for about 30 seconds at a stretch then set down and drink more beer.....
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Queen of Swords
    "Herd ball." My daughter played soccer for one season. All it consisted of is a bunch of kids chasing a ball from one end of the field to the other. Normally, I am a very "You made a commitment to do this, you finish it." Needless to say I was relieved when she decided to quit.

Hockey is the sport that I believe requires the most stamina. When you are on the ice, there are no breaks, and you have to do what you need to do while knowing the other guy is trying to kill you. And the season lasts 9 months. And you don't get an entire week in between games to recuperate. This is why you rarely hear of hockey players involved in off-the-clock shenanigans.

I agree with you.
    Hockey is unknown to most people. Unless you have played the game, the average Joe would never understand the skill and stamina involved.
    Just standing on skates is tiring. The only rest you get is when you sit down.
    A 90 second shift is as exhausting as one can imagine!
    There is no "out of bounds" for a player!
    Hockey Players tend to come from some better backgrounds than most other athletes. Just because of the expenses and time commitments. That is one of the main reasons I believe you hear less about hockey players getting in "off ice" trouble.

In my world, sports go down hill from the end of the Hockey season until the start of Football (real football.American Football!)season.
    Baseball on tv is great to take a nap to.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad

I agree with you.
    Hockey is unknown to most people. Unless you have played the game, the average Joe would never understand the skill and stamina involved.
    Hockey Players tend to come from some better backgrounds than most other athletes. Just because of the expenses and time commitments. That is one of the main reasons I believe you hear less about hockey players getting in "off ice" trouble.

In my world, sports go down hill from the end of the Hockey season until the start of Football (real football.American Football!)season.

Thank you! I played hockey for years with my big brother and his friends."You can play, but don't cry when you get hurt." on a frozen pond. It taught me not to be a whiner. And yes, hockey players tend to come from solid homelives in general.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by laxcoach
    Stamina and endurance
    . I used to have Buffalo Bandits season tickets! Lacrosse is fun to watch.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I agree with you.

Thank you! I played hockey for years with my big brother and his friends."You can play, but don't cry when you get hurt." on a frozen pond. It taught me not to be a whiner. And yes, hockey players tend to come from solid homelives in general.

Nothing like a "friendly" game of pond hockey.....My cousin is 5 years older than I am. The other little brothers, friends, and cousins were all allowed to play with the "big kids" as long as we didn't pout or cry!!!
    My cousin used to abuse the heck out of me when we were young! but, I'd catch a puck to the eye or some other painful body part and he actually showed compassion!! He'd even walk me home and encourage me to come back tomorrow!!
    I loved every frozen minute of it!!
  • Options
    edited November -1

I agree with you.

Nothing like a "friendly" game of pond hockey.....My cousin is 5 years older than I am. The other little brothers, friends, and cousins were all allowed to play with the "big kids" as long as we didn't pout or cry!!!
    My cousin used to abuse the heck out of me when we were young! but, I'd catch a puck to the eye or some other painful body part and he actually showed compassion!! He'd even walk me home and encourage me to come back tomorrow!!

Fat lips. I always got stuck as goalie.[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1

I agree with you.

Fat lips. I always got stuck as goalie.[8D] My brother finally realized I should probably have a face guard.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by laxcoach
    Stamina and endurance

laxcoach...actually, I have. Our HS girls lacrosse team has won the DE state championship for the last FOUR years running and our girls FH team either wins the state's or is runnerup about every year. Lacrosse is one neat sport which a lot of folks in my little town really follow. BTW...our boys and girls this year won BOTH....Cape Henlopen HS, Lewes, DE! We are small but we are good at the sport....our kids start playing it in ele school! Same with FH! When I was president of the school board I made sure they had the best fields to play on in DE....and they are making me a genius!
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    can't play any more sports till they all have politically correct wimp names
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Getting to the point that I am losing my sporting interest....Too much "Manzell"..too many sports crime stories....TV has validated reality TV!....Too many commercials,too much "hot-dogging by players"...its not how you made a play,its your dance...College football was my passion for many years...now,its who can recruit the biggest,fastest hoodlum,and pay for his tutor,because he can't spell his name...sad America has lost its legend...[:(]