In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This reproduction of the Remington Sniper

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
Rifle the Marines used in the NAM has appreciated rather well in the past two or three years, and this one appears to have been used:
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=425918656
What's next?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that it's a Remington reproduction of a rifle that was used in VN.

It would be interesting to know the MSRP.

Neal
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not even close to being worth the bid....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would much rather bid on a Winchester model 70 Govt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    I believe that it's a Remington reproduction of a rifle that was used in VN.

It would be interesting to know the MSRP.

Neal

That is better put, Neal, thanks. They originally sold for $1495.00, if my memory serves me correctly.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    I would much rather bid on a Winchester model 70 Govt.

I agree, and one in the condition this Remington is with its box will run about, what, ten grand?
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1

In terms of, pwillie???
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

In terms of, pwillie???
    In terms of a USMC Remington used by the Corp...
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I can think of several things that I would rather have for $3K. Maybe the M40 was available during the VN conflict, but the rifles that all of the Marine snipers that I was associated with shot were one of three types: An accurized M14 with a Starlight scope; An ancient Win M70 30-06 with either an old Unertl or a new Redfield 3-9; or what turned into the M40, a Rem 700, varmint weight barrel in 308, with a Redfield 3-9. But that was fairly early (67-68) in the conflict.
  • Options
    edited November -1

In terms of, pwillie???
    In terms of a USMC Remington used by the Corp...

Like the Remington M-40 that Hathcock used on the NAM?
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    I can think of several things that I would rather have for $3K. Maybe the M40 was available during the VN conflict, but the rifles that all of the Marine snipers that I was associated with shot were one of three types: An accurized M14 with a Starlight scope; An ancient Win M70 30-06 with either an old Unertl or a new Redfield 3-9; or what turned into the M40, a Rem 700, varmint weight barrel in 308, with a Redfield 3-9. But that was fairly early (67-68) in the conflict.

They did use about everything except the kitchen sink in the way of different rifles. I was there in early 66 and the only one that I can recall seeing was the Winchester 70, with the old Unertl. It was carried by a recent graduate of the very first class of snipers during the summer of that year.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    Same here!If Winchester had kept building the 'pre 64's, I don'nt think Remington would have entered the picture....The Govt.model 70's were some real sniper rifles.....Hathcocke made them famous

They did use about everything except the kitchen sink in the way of different rifles. I was there in early 66 and the only one that I can recall seeing was the Winchester 70, with the old Unertl. It was carried by a recent graduate of the very first class of snipers during the summer of that year.