In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

went to local hardware store............

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in General Discussion
I use plastic blades on my weedeater, it is an old stihl head and only a few places locally have them. One is an old local owned hardware store on edge of town, I pulled in and the parking lot was empty except one guy on sidewalk by the door. I backed up into a spot and parked and got out to go inside, the fellow by the door asked if I was a veteran, and I just looked at him I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or his phone. as I grabbed the door he asked again, I said why? he pointed to my truck and said you parked in the veterans spot. I hadn't seen the sign as I backed in and had the mower in the bed, but there was a sign that said veterans parking only.

I looked at him and said, yes I guess a few years in the marines counts as being a veteran, I figured he was being a smartass. I grabbed my weedeater blades and went to check them out at the register and the guy from outside was running the register. he looked at me and said so you were in the marines, I said yes, it was a few years ago, but I did my time. He said you get a 5% discount then! I never even knew they offered one. I thanked the fellow and walked out feeling a little ashamed I had been so blunt with him, but you never know nowdays what people are up to....

Comments

• Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, never hurts to temper your tongue. I've turned milder of response as I age.

Except when I think others can't hear me. Then I'm cursing half the drivers in town! [:D]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    feeling a little ashamed I had been so blunt with him, but you never know nowdays what people are up to....

Don't feel bad, an answer to a question such as that could just as easily get you attacked these days.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm old school...served because it was my duty...its every Americans duty...no special privilege ....the only reason your seeing so much veteran concern is because of the guilt complex created when the selective service was discontinued...enough already...