In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cleaning out the barn

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
So we're cleaning out the barn today, pulling out some stuff for an upcoming consignment auction. We pulled out three 55 gallon barrels full of burlap bags, some with a popcorn brand imprinted on them, some bleach white seed corn bags, but mostly burlap bags.

I don't suspect there to be much or a market, but I dare say we have the supply cornered on burlap bags.

Next we pulled out three 55 barrels of 40 to 60 year old alfalfa seed. Barrels are clamp on lids and clean metal on the inside. I can't imagine there will be much of a market of 50 year old alfalfa genetics. Maybe I should call a seed company and see if they want some antique genetics.

We also pulled out a cast iron corner sink and a hue wooden table saw on steel wheels. This sucker is driven by a wood pulley.

After that, there was a Clipper Cleaner #2B with a set of screens. This thing might do 5 bushel an hour. Makes me wonder if these old seed cleaners have become popular again for small farmers who want to plant Roundup Ready soybeans and not pay a tech fee to Monsanto or have a traceable cleaning bill at a cooperative.

18259378_7efa2857df.jpg?v=0

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Captplaid,

How about contacting these folks regarding the seeds...

National Center for Genetic Resources Preservation

Mission:

The mission of the National Center for Genetic Resources Preservation (NCGRP) is to acquire, evaluate, preserve, and provide a national collection of genetic resources to secure the biological diversity that underpins a sustainable U.S. agricultural economy through diligent stewardship, research, and communication.

Svalbard Global Seed Vault

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault is a secure seedbank located on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen near the town of Longyearbyen in the remote Arctic Svalbard archipelago. The facility was established to preserve a wide variety of plant seeds from locations worldwide in an underground cavern. The Seed Vault holds duplicate samples, or "spare" copies, of seeds held in genebanks worldwide. The Seed Vault will provide insurance against the loss of seeds in genebanks, as well as a refuge for seeds in the case of large scale regional or global crises. The island of Spitsbergen is about 1,120 kilometres (700 mi) from the North Pole.

http://www.croptrust.org/main/arctic.php?itemid=211

Best.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    sell the bulap as fish bags,a lot of guys like them.

spelling/
  • Options
    fullautogunnerfullautogunner Member Posts: 681 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah them seeds are valuable, but maybe not monitarily, but valuable none the less.

Also monsanto will ruin you or make you pay extra if they find people screwing them. Many have gone near bankrupt just by having wind blow over and pollinate their field from a neighbors monsanto crop. This is one of the top ten evil companies in the world, from what i have read.
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    how big or the sacks if they are the right size they make great corn bags to set hog traps with
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old bags are saleable. Antique dealers? The Clipper Cleaner would be a great find for the Antique Farm Equipment crowd. There is a national magazine that a friend gives me when he is done with them. Somebody would love to get this stuff. Don't happen to have a John Deer corn sheller? I am looking for one.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish you were closer to me. I like old farm equipment and I would probally end up buying that clipper cleaner.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just found out burlap sells good to the nursery industry for wrapping up root balls. Up to $1.50 a bag retail. If I get .50 a bag I'd be happy.

I think I'll be taking them out of the barrels and heaping them up on the hay rack. It's make a better pile and people can see how many there are.
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    I just found out burlap sells good to the nursery industry for wrapping up root balls. Up to $1.50 a bag retail. If I get .50 a bag I'd be happy.

I think I'll be taking them out of the barrels and heaping them up on the hay rack. It's make a better pile and people can see how many there are.

Capt.
    let me know how wide and long they are I may want to get a few from you if your wanting to sell some
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen folks frame those old seed burlap bags and hang them on the wall for decoration. It's a part of history if they have their company info printed on them.

Are any of those burlap bags from Gildersleeve Seed Company (GSC) in Hudson, Il. ? I would be interested in them for my Dad since he was neighbor and good friends with the Gildersleeves's back in the old days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tazzer
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid

Capt.
    let me know how wide and long they are I may want to get a few from you if your wanting to sell some

I'll let you know. I think I'll take them out of the barrels and pile up the generic in one pile and the printed in another. I didn't dig too deep to see how much of a variety there is. There was a Sass Seed Corn from Streator Illinois and a popcorn name from Chicago. No, not Orville. In any case, the printed might sell better in a separate pile.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Streater, Ill. Boy that brings back some old menories. Almost married a girl from Streater many moons ago! There was a bar across the street from the Libby Owens glass plant that served turtle on Friday nights. Some good times in Streator!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    Streater, Ill. Boy that brings back some old menories. Almost married a girl from Streater many moons ago! There was a bar across the street from the Libby Owens glass plant that served turtle on Friday nights. Some good times in Streator!

Which bar?

Snatches?
    820?