In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BMW owners and Mechanics

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
For those that saw my "sometimes you have to shoot something" post, I am looking at getting a new car. I am looking at a 2004 BMW 325i. I have heard that they last quite awhile. Anybody have a BMW that can give me some feedback? Or mechanics that see or DON'T see them frequently?

This one

That's not the price that I am paying though.

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com

All your German car answers await...
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Let's start counting how many other cars will be reccommended for you! [:p]
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Ask Locust Fork just exactly how good a BMW holds up.
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    BMW's leak oil like you wouldn't believe, so does the Mercedes. But the engine wear on them is outstanding.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    BMW's leak oil like you wouldn't believe, so does the Mercedes. But the engine wear on them is outstanding.

Can you be more specific? Is it something that can be fixed easily? Or do they just kind of "seep"?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    Ask Locust Fork just exactly how good a BMW holds up.

I couldn't find any post about the mechanics breaking down in her BMW. Only wrecking it. Of course, I guess that she didn't have it long enough to have anything break down.
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron

Can you be more specific? Is it something that can be fixed easily? Or do they just kind of "seep"?

Do you really think highly successful car companies like BMW and Mercedes have chronic oil leaks? Give me a break! I drove a Mercedes for years that had 200k miles and it never leaked a drop. What are they using special sub-standard gaskets that only BMW and Mercedes are able to get? Or maybe they engineered some pinholes in the oil pan so your driveway can have a constant oil spot - great for marketing huh?
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1

Im not too sure there, I had all the bmw M3 from 90-2000 & evo's , as well as the AMG's from 96-2002 & sl range, 80-92. NO OIL drinkage or leakage!
    bmw is for the 20-40 age group, Benz for the more mature 36+ age group, AMG for the fanatic, who lkes a thrill & ultra relaibility with performance, Bmw dont hold the corners too well..especially in the wet . Milage i had 2 bm's with 200k + & benz with 560k mileage..no problems.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    Ask Locust Fork just exactly how good a BMW holds up.[:D][:D][:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron

Do you really think highly successful car companies like BMW and Mercedes have chronic oil leaks? Give me a break! I drove a Mercedes for years that had 200k miles and it never leaked a drop. What are they using special sub-standard gaskets that only BMW and Mercedes are able to get? Or maybe they engineered some pinholes in the oil pan so your driveway can have a constant oil spot - great for marketing huh?

Guess you've never had one up in the air and looked under the car. This can go for all European cars. (My opinion). As I stated earlier in the defense of a European car, the engine wear is outstanding and holds up very well. The repair parts are insain though. My father in law has a 7 series BMW and the rear tail light was $600.00 to replace.

I worked in a high end used car dealership for over 2 years as a Tech. That was 8 years ago. I have 4 Chevrolets. But would have to say the Asian cars leak oil the least. So as you can see I'm not defending a Chevy over a rice burner on the oil leak topic.

Yes it can be fixed easily. And is usually enough to just seep but will leave spots on your driveway.
  • SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had several BMWs and currently have an old 325 convertible as a spare car . They are alright only thing is they are more delicate than your adverage American car. So if you want them to last keep up with the maintaince and don't rough house them.In other words don't shift the gears like you can in an old Camero with a rockcrusher 4 speed ,shift it delicatly and you won't tear out the sychronizeres in the transmission.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SuwanneePirate
    I have had several BMWs and currently have an old 325 convertible as a spare car . They are alright only thing is they are more delicate than your adverage American car. So if you want them to last keep up with the maintaince and don't rough house them.In other words don't shift the gears like you can in an old Camero with a rockcrusher 4 speed ,shift it delicatly and you won't tear out the sychronizeres in the transmission.

It's an automatic.
  • mechman460mechman460 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty cheap, bring it to a good shop to see if it has been wrecked.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mechman460
    Pretty cheap, bring it to a good shop to see if it has been wrecked.

I know the owner of the dealership. My wife's family has bought at least five cars from her. Still not bad advice in case she got taken at auction. Wouldn't carfax be better?
  • mechman460mechman460 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, if it wasnt a reported accident it will not show on a carfax.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Lay a bed sheet on the ground. Drive car on top of bed sheet w/engine idling. let stand and run for FIVE timed minutes. Drive off and check for oil leaks. Dont do this w/ a Harley tho. You will need one of those OSHA HAZMAT spill kits to clean up afterwards. Or a Jaguar[:0]
  • tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    spoken by someone who likely has never owned either
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Do it curio. I dare you
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My own 540i
    [img][/img]540iinLichtenstien.jpg
    [img][/img]540iinCroatia.jpg

The six cylinder engines are pretty much bullet proof and if they get regular oil changes they will run for longer than you are likely to keep the car. The V-8s (such as my own) need more maintenance because they are extremely complex (and very powerful) engines. BMW automatic transmissions are prone to failure at around 60-80,000 miles so if the car has an automatic, check to see if the tranny was ever replaced. If the trans is the original then check to see if any maintenance (like fluid changes were ever performed). If not you expect a transmission failure to follow at some point. The six speed manuals (like I have in my own car) can take tremendous abuse and BMW clutches last well over 100,000 miles. The more electronic gizmos the car has on it the more problems you can expect. The automatic climate control system is a real PITA and can start to give trouble and the little pixels for all of the read-outs (like the clock and temperature settings) tend to fade out and leave a partially blank screen. BMWs are not any more expensive to have worked on than any other import car, but if you are used to driving a piece of American made iron around ([xx(]) you will be in for a shock when you price the parts and labor.
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    price & parts here are cheeper than any other car, as its rare you need anything other than crash damage parts..regular oil changes at 8-9k miles will do you real good & 32-34mpg average..2mph 0r 200mph.(limiter off M3 & AMG)