In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WW2 Pineapple?

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
My father brought back a grenade from the phillipines after WW2. I remember playing with it as a kid. when he passed another family member got the grenade and sold it on ebay!![:(!]
anyway, I just got this one from a guy in canada and I'm wondering if it's period correct.
on top it's marked
FUZE M213
ME1B1K
003-002
on the pineapple its marked RFX
could this be from WW2?
thanks
tom

dscf0265.jpg

Comments

• SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:I have a dummy marked just like that

"dummy" as in practice grenade or dummy as in souvenier knock off?
  • Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    What is up with having a hand grenade ? I used them in practice in the army years ago and I agree they where neat to play with at the time but to have a real one in your home in my mind is asking for problems. Not only illegal with plenty of jail time for having it but the risk of others finding it and not knowing what it is is just a problem waiting to happen in my mind. My oldest son came home recently from Afghanistan and he told me about a hand grenade he had that was not listed and off the books he had found and going through the crap he had to before returning he turned it in after not willing to take the risk of trying to return with it. I just do not have the desire to own or have one in my hands.....
    edited November -1
    quote:but to have a real one in your home in my mind is asking for problems. Not only illegal with plenty of jail time for having it but the risk of others finding it and not knowing what it is is just a problem waiting to happen

LOL!
    why do folks assume I'm doing illegal chit?[:0][B)][;)][:D]
    It's a "dummy" like dennis stated.
    I'm trying to find out if it's period correct to WW2.
    I got it for sentimental reasons( see OP). My dad passed 5 yrs ago.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regrets- but I don't think so. The fuse is for a later grenade, the M-67, that was introduced in the 60's. The WW II vintage grenades had a safety lever that hooked OVER the end of the fuze body- later fuzes had safety lever that hooked UNDER two pins on the end of the fuze body. The little spring steel safety clip was also later than WW II.

And rather than the term dummy, you MAY want to use the correct term- INERT.

If it has a hole in the bottom, and letters RFX cast into the side, it is a "training blank" grenade, made by Richmond Foundry and Mfg.

And ya know what? Even if it is not IDENTICAL, it is still a good reminder of your Dad. My Dad taught me to shoot a handgun using an H&R 22 Special- very much like the one in the safe. Not the same gun- that one was stolen from my Dad. But I have used it to teach my grandkids- explaining that my Dad used one "just like this".
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    I have a dummy marked just like that.

Takes one to know one.!

[:o)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Regrets- but I don't think so. The fuse is for a later grenade, the M-67, that was introduced in the 60's

thanks!
    I thought it looked different from what I remember, but it was 40 yrs ago, so I wasn't sure.

quote:you MAY want to use the correct term- INERT

INERT!, that's the word I was looking for!
    and youre right, it still reminds me of my dad and brings back memories.
    thanks
    tom
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I have a inert WW-2 dated Pineapple that has a threaded cap on the bottom that can be unscrewed to see the (now filled w/resin) powder chamber inside.
    The markings/date are on the cap
    edited November -1
    quote:has a threaded cap on the bottom that can be unscrewed

this one has a non- threaded hole at the bottom. the top unscrews. here's a pic
    dscf0266.jpg
  • Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    Well to better explain my thoughts ! I knew you where talking about a inert or dummy grenade, I failed to say that in my posting and I take the blame for it.
    I was in a half hearted way trying to understand the desire for one ?
    I can see you point and understand why and what you are doing. No insult intended on my side just your posting came soon after a talk with my son about his experience with bring home a live one and finally not doing it. You just came in on my thoughts and concerns about my son.
    I apologize to you for making your hair stand up.
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    The MK II's date back to WW II and they contained 2 oz of flacked TNT which could be removed by simply unscrewing the fuse and pouring it out. The ones I found in RVN had M204A1 fuses ( 4.5 second delay) but look the same as the older fuses. I made a case of them into 'trading materal' by pouring out the TNT and detonating the fuses.[:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:I apologize to you for making your hair stand up.

No apology necessary! I was just reffering to the pot plant post where folks were saying I'm a felon.[:0][;)]
    It's all in fun, I almost never get pissy with anyone here. sorry if it sounded that way.
    tom[:)]
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    My father brought back a grenade from the phillipines after WW2. I remember playing with it as a kid.

Please tell me that one was inert also. Otherwise, you're one lucky kid!! I would have blown myself up for sure [:D]
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    can I see the bottom of it please?

Doesn't it piss you off when a family memeber gets something that you want or would kill to ahve and they refuse to sell it to you so they can ebay it?

Ebay is a spawn of satan.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    The bottom will be an empty hole. About the size of a [dime?]. Body originally painted blue. Now the fuse:

Ordnance fuses are about 1.5in longer. The fuze pictured had a small cloth bag attached to it. The bag was filled with black powder. The hole in the bottom had a stopper in it (to allow for some pressure buildup prior to the stopper being forced out, hence the large "bang"-and gush of white smoke). Hope I helped. Joe
    edited November -1
    quote:Please tell me that one was inert also. Otherwise, you're one lucky kid!! I would have blown myself up for sure

yeah that one had a hole in the bottom too, and like joe said, it was blue.
    hey joe, thanks for the info!
    so, on the live ones, the fuse extended down into the charge?
    what actually set the thing off? no piezo igniters back then were there?
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the original frag, when the pin is pulled, and the handle (spoon to some folks) released, a sping loaded striker pivots 180 degrees, and strikes a primer. This starts a delay element (think of it as a fuze) burning. When the delay element burns all the way down, there is a small blasting cap that detonates, causing the filler explosive to detonate.

Training grenades had a smaller cap, and were packed with a small bag of black powder that increased the bang/smoke when fuze popped. Training grenade bodies were reused by unscrewing fuze, and installing new powder bag/ fuze.