In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Factory defect on loaded cartridge (pics)

76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in General Discussion
Anyone see the defect?
[img][/img]miscfailpics002.jpg

[img][/img]miscfailpics003.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    Shoot it and tell us how well it extracted.[;)]
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How'd it chamber?
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Yes, I see it. Now, if that's a [.45c, say], it matters not.

What I mean is, is that if the bearing face of the extractor completely engages the rim, you are still good-to-go. Joe
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also looks like the round in that same cartridge isn't seated as far as the others.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think if fired in a revolver it would hurt as long as there is enough shoulder there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    How'd it chamber?

It didn't chamber. That is how I noticed something was wrong.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting, a bit bizarre and daunting. [:0]
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do they all have the same head stamp
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Idahobound
    Do they all have the same head stamp

Yes, all are from the same box of Factory ammo. Of the 20 rounds, 19 are fine and 1 is defective.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,083 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone forgot to machine the extractor groove. Mistakes with factory ammo is more common than one might think.

Years ago my dept got a lot of Winchester ammo that turned out to not have flash holes in the cases. This defect was not visible since the primers covered it up. I have also seem factory Winchester 9mm with primers in upside down.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    Someone forgot to machine the extractor groove. Mistakes with factory ammo is more common than one might think.

Years ago my dept got a lot of Winchester ammo that turned out to not have flash holes in the cases. This defect was not visible since the primers covered it up. I have also seem factory Winchester 9mm with primers in upside down.

more common than people realize, apparently we are the only 2 on the board that has witnessed Winchester white box's quality control issues, a friend of mine owns an indoor range and has a coffee can full of wwb defects, not just primers upside down, projectiles upside down, cases crushed by projectiles,etc

i wont buy it because i have seen enough defects on the outside, to make me worry about defects on the inside, no powder, to much powder, wrong powder never know
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    We get Winchester shot shell with strips of plastic hanging off of the metal case.. [:(]
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady Critical Defense????? [?]
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady Lever Revolution?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Hornady Lever Revolution?

Correct!
  • Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call the company, they will want to see it and probably get you some free ammo.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once bought 10 boxes of Remington 270 core-lokt only to find that every box contained 30-06.
    The company apologized profusely and sent me 10 boxes of A-frame ammo.
    After research they said it happened while changing caliber production.
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brass003.jpg

The one on the right didn't extract, no rim
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought some Starline brass for my 44 special and I had one case that the extractor groove was not cut. I couldn't get it in my shell holder in the press. After looking at it, I took it out to the shop and cut it down on my lathe, and it works fine now.

You would think they would have better quality control, but I guess that's the norm nowadays.
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    S&B Ammo in .223Rem/5.56mm NATO is some of the worst ammo i have ever encountered.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Over the years I've seen lots of defects in major brand factory ammo. It's ranged from no flash hole (that's a scary one) to upside down primers to various types of rim screwups to totally wrong ammo in a box.

Best policy - especially with defensive carry ammo - is to inspect each cartridge intstead of just slamming your mags full and heading out.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most ammunition is made on totally automated machines. It is never touched nor seen by a person - especially bargain lines of ammo. And things just sometimes happen. Part of the extra cost we pay for critical ammo is due to added quality control and eyeball inspections. Part of what we save on practice ammo is due to less of both.

As this is premium ammo, Hornady will definitely want to hear about it - and will probably thank you in a meaningful way for bringing it to their attention.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Lefty-- Rimmed cases dont have an extractor groove. 0nly rimless 0nes
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,019 ******
    edited November -1
    I have seen a Remington Golden Sabre .40 caliber round, a premium, high-quality defense round, with no flash hole for the primer. A defect like that in a loaded round is impossible to spot until after it is fired. When it was fired, the primer popped, backed out of the pocket, and tied up the gun.

Had it happened in a serious situation, the only solution would have been to draw a second gun, or maybe run. We had to set the gun on a bench, muzzle up, put a cleaning rod down the barrel, and beat on it with a mallet until the slide came open.

When Winchester first developed their "Low Recoil-Law Enforcement" shells for the 12 guage, their powder mix was possibly experimental. We bought some and it worked fine when new. However, after it had been in the shotguns, in the cars, for a few months, problems developed.

Some rounds failed to fire. Others fired OK. The really funny ones were the ones that fired, but with so little energy that the shot charge went about 25 feet and fell to the ground!