In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Took a little ride yesterday

wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
I took my little Duel Sport out into the Desert for some exploring and on the way back, a Big Rig passed me coming from the opposite direction. That's when I found out my chin strap wasn't as tight as it should have been.

The gust of wind blew my Helmet backwards to where I could just barely see! And of course I had a tailgater behind me making things a little more hectic.

I pulled over, re-adjusted my bucket and continued on.

As I was just coming into town, there were two trucks in front of me, one in each lane. That's when something wet hit me in the face!

I thought it was water at first but when I got to the light and stopped, I pulled off my Sunglasses and saw that one of the two trucks launched a mouthful of "Dip" out of their window and right into my Face! [:(!]

I think it was the one that pulled into Nellis AFB. so not much I could do about it!
There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'

Comments

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never been hit with spit or other liquids from a vehicle but have been nailed by bird poop and bugs that explode into a tiny ball of gooey snot when they hit. Rock haulers out here don't have to use tarps so passing a dump truck out here can be quite painful.

Went for a ride through Big Sky and down the free side of Yellowstone Park. Going through some construction a rock hauler going the other way hit me in the forehead with a gooner that almost took me off the bike. Normal uncontrollable reaction, my hands came off the bars and grabbed my head and face, bike began veering off the road, I got back ahold of it before I crashed. Got stopped on the side of the road with blood running down my face, you think those damn tourists behind me who saw it happen would stop to see if I was OK? [:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One more thing, after having a snot bug explode on my hand going down the road, that's when the damn face itching starts, never freaking fails! [B)][:(!]
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you know what they say; you can tell a happy motorcyclist by the bugs on his teeth.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    Before i sold my popcorn fart KLR,i would duck behind the windscreen passing any big vehicle no matter the direction.

They get blown around like a new John in Reno anyway.

The kawa has an aftermarket fender lowering kit just to lessen the blow.

Be careful and keep the rubberside down.

After my big wreck, I gave my KLR-650 to my Kid thinking I was done riding. The bike I have now is a little KL-250 Super Sherpa.

I bought it just to see if my foot and ankle would hold up and they did, so its time to go bigger now.

But talk about getting blown around! Anything over 35 MPH side winds blows me off the road!
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I hit a Quail one time,right on the front brake reservoir.Thing splattered guts,blood and feathers all over my leather and helmet face shield.
    When I got where I was going,about 1/3 of the bird was still stuck to the brake fluid reservoir,that's how I knew it was a Quail.
    I walked inside my friends house and everyone thought i'd ax-murdered someone...[8D]
    That was b/4 they repealed the helmet law in Florida..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    Never been hit with spit or other liquids from a vehicle but have been nailed by bird poop and bugs that explode into a tiny ball of gooey snot when they hit. Rock haulers out here don't have to use tarps so passing a dump truck out here can be quite painful.

Went for a ride through Big Sky and down the free side of Yellowstone Park. Going through some construction a rock hauler going the other way hit me in the forehead with a gooner that almost took me off the bike. Normal uncontrollable reaction, my hands came off the bars and grabbed my head and face, bike began veering off the road, I got back ahold of it before I crashed. Got stopped on the side of the road with blood running down my face, you think those damn tourists behind me who saw it happen would stop to see if I was OK? [:(!]

You just reminded me of the time when I got nailed by Pigeon Crap [xx(] Luckily my face shield was down, but it covered the whole left side of the shield!

I found a long time ago that when you come up on a gravel truck, you hang back a ways until they come up on a smooth part in the road...and punch it past them!

That gravel plays Hell on your knuckles and fingers!
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1

You know, you can wear a full face helmet and you wouldnt have these troubles....ohh, I almost forgot, you are a Harley guy....all looks, no brains....nevermind..[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by the middle

You know, you can wear a full face helmet and you wouldnt have these troubles....ohh, I almost forgot, you are a Harley guy....all looks, no brains....nevermind..[:D]

Beats looking like a NERD!! [:D][8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by the middle

Beats looking like a NERD!! [:D][8D]

My Nerd Helmet!

brainbucket.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    I have a full face that lifts up.

When you need a sun visor it is awesome
    besides a one button lift for the gas stations
    or showing some girl your handlebars.[:D][;)]

I have a picture of my brothers face after AirLife flew him in.

No full face helmet and I found his chin strap stuck in the rear fender of his Harley that teebagged him.

full face might save your mug

That one sure saved my face! The rest of the Helmet looks the same as the front!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave with a well preserved body
    But to slide in sideways, completely used up, screaming,
    WHAT A bleenIN RIDE!

Why tiptoe through life
    Only to arrive safely at death?

WHEN I DIE, MAY I BE SURROUNDED BY SCATTERED CHROME AND BURNING GASOLINE!!!! [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never been shot but I have had a few bugs hit me that made me feel like I had been shot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

I always got a charge out of those who wore full leathers, gloves, boots and a helmet when going on a trip.

BUT.............

When just cruising around town, thought nothing of wearing a thin T shirt, shorts and flip flops.

[:D][:D][:(]

I get a charge out of the yuppie bikers that wear full blown gear, head to toe covered up. Harley yuppies in full on black leather and helmets, euro bikers in full on neon colored matching crash suits, Goldwingers wearing the latest greatest techy stuff with all the fancy electronic gadgets, rice rockets with full on race gear all riding in 90 degree heat then when they stop they all wear their gear into the bar or restaurant like they want everyone to see they are bikers. Then those of us who ride with t-shirts and no helmet are looked down upon or given the "speech" about safety, FU.

I always thought riding was about freedom, enjoying the ride, having fun and enjoying the breeze. I cannot enjoy a ride when dressed like an astronaut, how in the hell can you be comfortable with all that crap on? That's not enjoying the ride! That's going from point A to point B all the while dressed up in a super paranoid state thinking you are going to die a miserable ugly death around every corner, I can't ride like that. If I was that scared of riding a bike that I had to dress up like that I would just quit riding and drive my pickup!!

And for the record, I do own safety gear. I have a halfshell helmet for when I'm in a state that forces helmet wear. I have a full face for when the temps are below freezing (I'm not stupid) plus I carry leather coat and chaps in my saddle bags for getting caught in the rain, I also have a novelty half shell German style helmet in the bags for wearing in the rain.

That's just me, old school biker.

067CCB25-0F53-452D-B8D5-542A42031B9E-3146-000001B53978CD3C_zps63812fec.jpg

How I ride.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx1FaNlQmlc