In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

need a sugestion for load data

hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I have alot of 168gr FMJBT .30 cal that i want to load for the 300 win mag. I'll be using hodgon H4831 powder. I also posted this on the reloading forum but i know there are alot of people that dont vistit that forum so i'm posting it here also.

Comments

• Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    I load the same powder and projectile in my 7.5 x 55, but cannot offer any suggestions on the 300 WM. Did you check your loading manual? If not I can pull the data out of my hornady book.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I only have one manual right now. I just started reloading and only load for the 300 right now. I just wanted some reference besides my manual. I here that they very alot between manuals. mine is a lee manual
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Take a look at this site and see if you find what you want.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91
    I only have one manual right now. I just started reloading and only load for the 300 right now. I just wanted some reference besides my manual. I here that they very alot between manuals. mine is a lee manual

Let me get my manual and I will post the info for you.
    edited November -1
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    My Speer #10 reloading manual lists a starting load of 72 gr with a max of 76 for a 165 gr bullet. I'd think 72 gr would be a good startng point.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Start at 72 grains and you should max out arounf 75-76 grains. Thats with a COL of 3.340.
  • xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    accurate powder 2700 grain 67.0 vel 2959 for 165/168 bullet...
    powder 4350 grain 72.0 vel 3060 for 165/168 bullet...
    powder 3100 grain 73.5 vel 2945 for 165/168 bullet...
    24inch barrel,cci primer... 300 win mag
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Doesn't matter if it's the regular or the SC version, they have the same burn rate. The SC version was created just to make 4831 meter better through the measure.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,859 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Doesn't matter if it's the regular or the SC version, they have the same burn rate. The SC version was created just to make 4831 meter better through the measure.

This is true , just checked with Hodgdon on this topic, I'm loading some 7mm mags and wanted to be sure the data for H4831 is the SAME as H4831 SC . They claim it is identical powder.
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be very careful when using internet advice when reloading! I had some Hawk bonded bullets and used an internet site for 'favorite loads' for this bullet used in my 300 WM. I should have compared the advice to my books but the recommended load came from a powder company web site. I dropped their recommended load by 2 grains and loaded 3 at my starting load (2 grains less than their recommended load), 3 rounds 1 grain higher, and 3 at their recommended load. The first shot had a lot of recoil but it had been quite some time since I shot this rifle and yes, I did clean it good before shooting it! The second round shot at the lowest load level also kicked hard and was enough to cause me to inpect the round after ejection. The last round I shot at the lowest load level caused obvious pressure problems; stiff bolt opening, punctured and flattened primer. I took the remaining loads home, pulled the bullets, and checked the powder weights. They were all right on. I used the same powder in other loads to rule out powder problems. I emailed the powder company to let them know something was not right but got absolutely no response.
    edited November -1
    ok thanks for all the help. seams like everyone or most everyone agree's on 72gr for a starting load including the powder company. I'll start from there and see how it goes.
    edited November -1
    here is what i got from the powder site i'm using for the grain bullet. starting load 72gr and max 75.5

168 GR. HDY BTHP Hodgdon H4831 .308" 3.340" 72.0 2876 45,100 CUP 75.5 3023 51,400 CUP