In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

More Backyard Gators II w/(Pics)

boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
Well if you enjoyed the first batch, I have more!
After I made some tweaks to the game camera, and the temperature rose a bit, they became more active and the camera captured a few good photo's. I whittled 400+ images down to a few.

Below:
This is a picture of the (presumed) female resting, geting some morning sun.
MFDC5705.JPG

Below:
This is the big head (presumed) male displaying courtship to woo the female into the water for some gator "activity". He will raise his head and make a shuddering/growling sound. Notice his tail is partially out of the water on the left. This big dude is easily 12' long and 500+ pounds. (That's real size/weight not Swamp People sizing [:D]) I have seen him many times. Quite a lizard.
MFDC5710.JPG

Below:
This is a better pic of the smaller female, she's on the move.
MFDC5775.JPG

We are never lacking for redneck entertainment here!!!![8D][8D][8D]

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Damn, and I was sniveling about pachyderms in the petunia's.[;)]
    W.D.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a really nice pet you have there. Also, it's nice you let him roam around in the backyard pool.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Keep your dogs fenced with them around [;)]
    Lived in FLA for nine yrs and saw some that big around the bass fishing lake [^]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh no can't have a normal pet like a dog or cat got to have something to eat the evidence

serious very Nice photos thanks for posting ,I never seen one that big in the wild (when visiting our southern states ). pretty rare here in Ohio [:D]

are you going to post photos like Nunn with the turtles ??? having at it [:D]
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot to mention that is in East Central Mississippi.

During severe drought these "holes", as we call them, shrink to next to nothing, that's when the younger males essentially get pushed out or else they will get eaten by the territorial big males. We have had six footers in the front yard looking for a place to be during those times.[8]

We've lived here about 20 years and we do worry about the dogs. We have had one dog and one cat disappear. Now it could have been a long list of bad juju that may have got 'em........coyotes, rattlers & cottonmouths, bobcats (they will kill a domestic cat lickety split), deer hunters, car maybe. So far I haven't caught our dogs on the camera but it is a legitimate worry (especially for my wife who worries about everything)

Here is a drought pic, can you find the big male?
    100_01742.JPG
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gator tail meat is real good, I like to drop by the Miccosukee Indian reservation restaurant to have me a big gator stake.[:p]

Cool photos!!
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,982 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Damn, and I was sniveling about pachyderms in the petunia's.[;)]
    W.D.