In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How long to skin a deer...

53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
...with this knife? What, you say, it don't take any time to skin a deer. I said with this knife....

DSC00714.jpg

So, what is the big deal? There in lies the clue...

DSC00716.jpg

It doesn't seem to be as big as you thought....well, what if you used this one? How long to skin using knife 2?

DSC00713.jpg

micro (1 1/4")...mini (4 1/4")...normal (9 1/8")

Comments

• Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    Stop messing with my sense of scale!! I'm confused enough already!!
  • Options
    steveaustinsteveaustin Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice set of blades. 20 minutes (to properly field strip) give or take with your choice of knife.
  • Options
    Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    I start the skin enough to put a rock inside and roll the hide around it.

Tie a rope around the rock and to the bumper,
    then drive off.

Same way here, takes no time at all. I have a buddy who's dad who has been a butcher for over 35 years and his dad was a butcher, I'd be willing to bet money he can skin, quarter, and debone a deer faster than darn near anybody.
  • Options
    speedbuggy16vspeedbuggy16v Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    really the same with either knife, I only use the tip anyway

speed
  • Options
    clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dennis,
    I have heard of skinning deer like you said, but I have never seen it. Would love to see how it is done.
    Clint
  • Options
    GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by clinteasterling
    Dennis,
    I have heard of skinning deer like you said, but I have never seen it. Would love to see how it is done.
    Clint

I hope ya'll aren't yankin' my chain, because I was thinking that that was something I would actually look up on you tube.

EDIT: Sounds kind of like skinning a squirrel. Somebody needs to do
    this and put it on you tube. Dual purpose, I can see it and it
    would pizz off the peta people.
  • Options
    WCIWCI Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would you stop half assing it, you have work to do. What am I talking about ? Well your lazy * did not etch the blades on the two smaller knives.

Back to work.
  • Options
    wild cat manwild cat man Member Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it took longer to skin the deerso he didnt have time to etch the other two
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    quote:I start the skin enough to put a rock inside and roll the hide around it.

Tie a rope around the rock and to the bumper,
    then drive off.

What he said! Also works well for goats. Those suckers are HARD to skin with a knife.
  • Options
    Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gashauler
    quote:Originally posted by clinteasterling
    Dennis,
    Clint

I hope ya'll aren't yankin' my chain, because I was thinking that that was something I would actually look up on you tube.

No you can really do it, we hang them by the head on an old A frame. Start cutting in front of the ears and peel them back a little, cut lengthwise down the all legs to the knee then peel that up a little to get it started. Get a golf ball sized rock and stuff it underneath the skin around the ears and tie the rope around it. Pull slowly with the truck to make sure you don't rip any meat off and have somebody there to catch the deer when it comes free of the skin, you don't want it swinging violently.
  • Options
    GTRiemGTRiem Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do your skinnin in the farm shop like I do its a breeze.
    take a 6" piece of tube (copper/brake line)cut the end off at angle and attach (your choise flare end or silver solder) to aircompressor blowgun.
    Pierce the skin and fill the hide w/ air,it blows up like balloon.Do this in a few places and the skin is seperated from the muscle.Then make cuts at legs around neck ect.
    Its slick,and works great.[:D]
    GTR
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by GTRiem
    take a 6" piece of tube (copper/brake line)cut the end off at angle and attach (your choise flare end or silver solder) to aircompressor blowgun.
    Pierce the skin and fill the hide w/ air,it blows up like balloon.Do this in a few places and the skin is seperated from the muscle.Then make cuts at legs around neck ect.
    GTR

I've seen an old Greek man do this with a lamb and a piece of rubber tubing.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    With a good 6" hunting knife, quarter serated, and a thumb blade, and one of those do dads that hook to back legs to get um up off the ground, I can have him gutted and deskinned in about 20 minutes..

When it is warm out, much longer than that isnt good for the meat, considering it takes some time to drag them home.[:)]
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GTRiem
    GTR
    Just like a limb-rat!!!!
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I bought a AIR SKINNER years ago to do skinning on whatever needs the hide peeled off..
    Works slick as can be, kinda like the above post mentioned.... 20 minutes easy.....