In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If Martial Law is Declared

JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
What law becomes law of the land?

Does the bill of rights and the constitution become null and void?

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In some parts of the country "the law of the land" will be determined by the range of the rifle in the landowner's hands.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    But do all state and federal laws just disappear?
  • Options
    DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The government kind of does what it wants at this point already.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree, but what about the people?
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    As far as the effects on "the people", It would be similar to how the Japanese Americans were treated in January 1942, except in this case it would be ALL American citizens.
  • Options
    Gunners762Gunners762 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Electrical grid goes down game over for the feds...
  • Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    popgunpopgun Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our military and police are not banana republic dictator wannabees - at least for the most part. Our current government is, but I find it hard to believe that if martial law is declared by 'bama that many of our law officials or soldiers will take part - and most will probably resist.

Also, there are about 100 million guys like us nationwide who will put up a little argument against it.

So I know the Leftists are arrogant and powermad enough to think they can do something like ML and get away with it, but I think they'll quickly be proven wrong.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't care if martial law is declared or not....it does not take away your rights...just because they were written down on paper does not allow them to be stripped. ..they are God given. ...not constitution given.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I don't believe ML will affect the trajectory of velocity of rifle rounds either.An EMP, to my knowledge, also has no affect on the latter'
    ML will be seen in the eyes of the "Black" lives as the time to take out Whitey,once and for all.
    As a whole,I don't think they have even a clue how outclassed and under gunned they actually are.
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gunners762
    Electrical grid goes down game over for the feds...

Yep, you got that right.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, if Martial Law was in effect, the response to the normal day to day law enforcement needs most folks are used to might not be addressed or it might take longer or the response might be a mega foul-up with the wrong folks being targeted by the troops.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big toll of death within 2 week from citizens starving to death in the big cities.
  • Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    Martial law = no Constitution = war for freedom from the state.
    Washington under siege.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember the live scenes on TV of Libya's Omar Kadafi's last day on earth [:D], hopefully that's what Washington politicians will experience for running this country into the ground [;)].

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited November -1
    Im sorry for my density on this.

So if I am on the other side of town and ML is declared, do I go home or go hide? Do I fight my way home killing everything in m
    y way?

Or just avoid military and police?

I am not expecting this to happen. Just dont really understand the order of events up and including ML.

Will people be converting ars to full auto and setting boobie traps?

Will some people riot loot and burn or will curfew be in effect?
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Martial Law could take any number of forms.

It could take the form of the suspension of the Constitution by the Feds, with an attempt to dictate actions upon the States and Individual from D.C.

For this to be effective, State Governments would have to go along with it and suspend their own Constitutions.

The U.S. Military cannot occupy the United States of America. It does not have the power to subdue the citizens of the United States of America.

In all likelihood, a state of Martial Law declared from D.C. would be a list, probably a fairly small one, of dictates to State and Local Governments as to actions that must be taken upon themselves and the citizenry. Failure to act would result in a suspension of funding.

Short of nuking state capitols, there is really no effective means of enforcement from D.C.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

It could take the form of the suspension of the Constitution by the Feds, with an attempt to dictate actions upon the States and Individual from D.C.

For this to be effective, State Governments would have to go along with it and suspend their own Constitutions.

The U.S. Military cannot occupy the United States of America. It does not have the power to subdue the citizens of the United States of America.

In all likelihood, a state of Martial Law declared from D.C. would be a list, probably a fairly small one, of dictates to State and Local Governments as to actions that must be taken upon themselves and the citizenry. Failure to act would result in a suspension of funding.

Short of nuking state capitols, there is really no effective means of enforcement from D.C.

who is gonna stop them?? should they deceide to take orders and do so
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by riflemike

You, me?
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter

You, me?

im in,

i will have to borrow a gun, mine got lost in a You Know....
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

who is gonna stop them??

Its a numbers game. The Army doesn't have enough people to successfully occupy California if there is any resistance what-so-ever.

The U.S. Military could run around the country and kill people at will; no question. It simply does not have the man power to occupy and control even 5% of the territory of the U.S.

Martial law would only be successful with the willing compliance of State Governments, Local Governments, and 95%+ of the people.

I don't think they will get to the 95%. There are a whole lot of us that are entering our sunset years but still capable of a little and would willingly sacrifice the time we have left for the freedom of our children.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Research martial law in Maryland during the Civil War. Here's an interesting discussion: http://www.usnews.com/news/history/articles/2009/02/10/revoking-civil-liberties-lincolns-constitutional-dilemma
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok

good enough.

So the odds on bet is a ML call will not start a race war?
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    The 95% could also reply to the feds threat to suspend state funding by suspending payment of federal income tax.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    The 95% could also reply to the feds threat to suspend state funding by suspending payment of federal income tax.

With the ever increasing "cashless" society, how is that going to happen?

It seems to me, if I write them a check, they take the funds from my account.

If I don't write them a check, what keeps them from taking the funds from my account anyway?

Of course, this does not even consider "Federal Withholding" from the working guy's paycheck. [}:)] In other words, they are taking payment for my income tax - even if I don't send them the money. They take it - before I get it.
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will look much as it looked in the not so distant past.
    When local, state and federal agents engaged in their "boyhunt" after the Beantown marathon bombing, squads of jack booted "public servants" rolled through peaceful neighborhoods in armored vehicles.
    At gunpoint, they forced their way into the homes of law abiding citizens shoving high powered rifles into the faces of mothers, fathers and children.
    Resistance or civil disobedience would have earned you a bullet and nary a peep was heard from any public official or member of the media as to the constitutional or civil rights being violated.
    When at last, they THOUGHT the suspect was cornered, they fired indiscriminately through the boat where he was believed to be hiding, bullets ranging through fences, yards and God knows where else throughout this otherwise peaceful residential area.
    When the "shelter in place" order was finally lifted and the citizens were "allowed" to leave their homes, they rushed to their attics or the local hardware store for an American flag and waved them in the streets while proudly chanting "USA" "USA"

LEMMINGS!!
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sxsnuf
    When local, state and federal agents engaged in their "boyhunt" after the Beantown marathon bombing, squads of jack booted "public servants" rolled through peaceful neighborhoods in armored vehicles.
    At gunpoint, they forced their way into the homes of law abiding citizens shoving high powered rifles into the faces of mothers, fathers and children.
    Resistance or civil disobedience would have earned you a bullet and nary a peep was heard from any public official or member of the media as to the constitutional or civil rights being violated.
    When at last, they THOUGHT the suspect was cornered, they fired indiscriminately through the boat where he was believed to be hiding, bullets ranging through fences, yards and God knows where else throughout this otherwise peaceful residential area.
    When the "shelter in place" order was finally lifted and the citizens were "allowed" to leave their homes, they rushed to their attics or the local hardware store for an American flag and waved them in the streets while proudly chanting "USA" "USA"

LEMMINGS!!

Well, that was also Massachusetts, a state full of people who have curled up and licked their own nuts for a century or so. Somehow I don't see that sort or police behavior getting as much mileage south or the Mason-Dixon or in any non-leftist state. If ML is declared, most of the lemmings in CA, MA, CT, and other liberal utopias would probably go French within 24 hours anyways. We're talking about in Free America where men don't have "gender identity disorders" or "gluten allergies" and a Prius is used solely for transporting tourists [;)]
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall

The word 'martial' is a really big clue'. [:D]

Under martial law the highest ranking military member in an area would be the local law of the land.

To the second part, yes. Habeas corpus may be suspended, civilian courts may be suspended and replaced by military tibunal, elected officials may be removed and replaced with appointees, etc.

Look at our post-civil war era for examples.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck we can "see a license plate from space" but we can't catch a couple of escaped cons for three weeks. If we were "all that" we would have found Bin Laden and Saddam a lot quicker and all the leaders of ISIS and killed them.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I brought up martial law here a couple of years ago I was practically booed off the forum and ridiculed for being a tinfoil hat wearer. Funny how things change ain't it? We've not seen anything yet!
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When sodomy is ruled legal in the land without an uprising, pretty much anything else can happen.
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall

Possibly the law of the jungle .... only the strong survive.

[?]

Yes, Laws of the Jungle, you better be ready and prepared.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if something goes down..the grocery stores will be empty in 2-3 hours and gas stations will be emptied then roving groups will take what they want so you will need to defend yourself as best possible.....but i have never seen a defensible house yet
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster

With the ever increasing "cashless" society, how is that going to happen?

It seems to me, if I write them a check, they take the funds from my account.

If I don't write them a check, what keeps them from taking the funds from my account anyway?

Of course, this does not even consider "Federal Withholding" from the working guy's paycheck. [}:)] In other words, they are taking payment for my income tax - even if I don't send them the money. They take it - before I get it.
    Good points, but none of them are yet mandatory.
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KAMsales
    quote:Originally posted by sxsnuf

LEMMINGS!!

Well, that was also Massachusetts, a state full of people who have curled up and licked their own nuts for a century or so. Somehow I don't see that sort or police behavior getting as much mileage south or the Mason-Dixon or in any non-leftist state. If ML is declared, most of the lemmings in CA, MA, CT, and other liberal utopias would probably go French within 24 hours anyways. We're talking about in Free America where men don't have "gender identity disorders" or "gluten allergies" and a Prius is used solely for transporting tourists [;)]

Things went bad quickly with Hurricane Katrina. Citizens will roll over in all states, not just the ones we make fun of.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    Gunners762Gunners762 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    When I brought up martial law here a couple of years ago I was practically booed off the forum and ridiculed for being a tinfoil hat wearer. Funny how things change ain't it? We've not seen anything yet!

[;)]Been a member since GB early days and before had another account forgot password started this account back in 2006 and since then only a few hundred post ..watched many folks come and go over the years and not much has changed.