In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Maybe I am wrong...

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in General Discussion
But I refuse to slobber over the man who tried to put all American gun companies out of business.

On another forum a photo was posted of Sid McMath. He had a great military career, retiring as a Brig. Gen. with many combat awards. For his service and military accomplishments I salute him. But he was a raging liberal who went into politics after leaving the Marines. He was the attorney who started the practice of suing gun companies when criminals misused their products. When I mentioned that maybe we shouldn't be worshiping at the feet of the man who tried to destroy the firearms industry I was savaged, insulted, and told that I was less than a pimple on the general's *.

I'm just calling it as it is. As a marine officer, he is worthy of praise and admiration. But considering his actions after his military service ended, folks on a gun discussion forum should not be treating him like a hero.

Or am I wrong? Does exemplary military service excuse trying to destroy the firearms industry and by proxy the Second Amendment?
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Options
    poppaleepoppalee Member Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are right.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,992 ******
    edited November -1
    I agree with you Doc.
    As a Marine,wonderful.
    After that it went to hell.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    John McCain exemplifies the conundrum upon which we are faced.

Honor is never permanent.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    IMO- none of it matters much if you don't finish well.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorta like the prodigal son, don't matter how you start, its how you finish.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't care how many ata-boys. One Oh poop wipes the slate clean.
  • Options
    poppaleepoppalee Member Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The majority of officers in the marines, probably all services, were crap. They could care less about the marines, just their careers. Does the words, Cannon Fodder bring up any images? I had some good officers, but very few.
  • Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    I agree with you Doc.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Benedict Arnold was a good General, too. Anybody who slobbers over McMath, would also slobber over him, and for the same reasons.

I thought only Liberals were prone to knee-jerk slobbering.

Taking a dive in the 10th round taints the man not just for the fight, but probably from childhood.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sooeyman2035
    I agree with you Doc.
    +1
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sooeyman2035
    I agree with you Doc.
    +2
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't know anything about General McMath, so I read his Bio on Encyclopedia of Arkansas online. It appears his Marine Corps career was mostly as an administrator and his civilian career was lawyer and politician.

I have to agree with your assessment of his later accomplishments or attempted accomplishments. Assuming he was a genuine World War Two hero, that buys him nothing when he tries to destroy our way of life. Much like Captain John McCain, he burned all his ataboys.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One can do great things and still ultimately be an azzhat. I'm an authority on this. [:D]
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I didn't know anything about General McMath, so I read his Bio on Encyclopedia of Arkansas online. It appears his Marine Corps career was mostly as an administrator and his civilian career was lawyer and politician.

I have to agree with your assessment of his later accomplishments or attempted accomplishments. Assuming he was a genuine World War Two hero, that buys him nothing when he tries to destroy our way of life. Much like Captain John McCain, he burned all his ataboys.

+1 James
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

I have to agree with your assessment of his later accomplishments or attempted accomplishments. Assuming he was a genuine World War Two hero, that buys him nothing when he tries to destroy our way of life. Much like Captain John McCain, he burned all his ataboys.+1 JamesYep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And it is not an anomaly, many generals are liberals. It is not a requirement, certainly, but it sure does not impede advancement in the armed forces.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

+1 James

I'm with ya'll on this part too!
    What's next?
  • Options
    Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure my mother voted for him. I was 9 or 10 at the time, and I remember an anecdote of a good looking war hero saying " The women and damn fools will elect me." She was a sucker for good looking men. Could this be the same?

We lived on Wye mountain, and the REA was putting in power at about that time. It appears he was instrumental in that, anyway. My dad wired most of the houses in the area. We must have had power when he was running, as I remember listening to news of the campaign on the radio.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    You need to stay away from those other forums.