In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ejector on 1911

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in General Discussion
Well, after 7 years and thousands of rounds I noticed during cleaning that my ejector is kinda lose in my pistol...didn't seem to affect the function of the pistol as it ate the fifty rounds I feed it yesterday without any issues (no failures of any kind). Will it being lose like this cause any issues down the road? I'm loath to have it worked on by anyone as it seems like 1911s only have problems after people have them worked on and mine has always ran like a champ. Thousands of rounds with no malfunction. ...I'd like to keep it this way....thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Guess I forgot to add....mine is of the pinned variety....I don't know if that makes a difference but I thought I would mention it as all the research I do it seems it matters? I don't know but it seems like some people say it's OK and others say it's not ok.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leave it alone If you look at the profile of the ejector...

The ejector has a cut for the pin to secure it. You will notice from its design it in not required to be tight.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Loose parts are never good Forgemonkey is 100% CORRECT . SHORT TERM YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH IT BEING LOOSE . I had one pistol with all kinds of top Ends and weird Calibers . 3 different Ejectors and loads of different recoil springs . This was going to be my SHTF go to pistol . You don't even need the cross pin as the installed slide will keep the ejector captive. However it will wear both slide and frame with this loose condition over large number of round count.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Seems the schools of thought are also split here as well....to bad JMB. Never wrote a book on. These things...If it being lose is bad it seems odd that the gun would keep working just fine. [?]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    It will continue to work just fine.

Until it doesn't.

And then the hole in your frame is oblong, your slide has excessive wear, and you can't reassemble after a field strip.

Then you'll be left with using loctite to glue one in place. And that's no fun for anyone.

It's a disposable/sacrificial piece. Replace it when convenient.