In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

$600! WOW!

hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Now guys i know times are kinda rough but $600 for 8 pounds of powder? I dont care how much i liked a certian powder, i would find some kind of substitute if it came down to paying that much. Would any of you pay that much?

Correction, $680 for 8 pounds. Thats insane.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128745098

Comments

• wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not no, but hell no.

What kind of powder and who was selling it for that. Name names, please.
  • hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Theres another 8 pound keg of varget going for $600
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only if it was 8 pounds of GOLD powder....[xx(]...$75.00 a pound?..damn I'm gonna enter my own 22lr giveaway...and if I win ship it free to myself...[xx(]
    edited November -1
    Thats a win win situation for you 44.[:D]
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's Tony Montana's kind of prices for his powder.
    edited November -1
    Bid is up to $680.[:0]

There's a sucker born every minute.[B)]
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    Only if it was 8 pounds of GOLD powder....[xx(]...$75.00 a pound?..damn I'm gonna enter my own 22lr giveaway...and if I win ship it free to myself...[xx(]

After tonight reloader, pigs should stand good for your shipping fees.
    What's next?
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag

After tonight reloader, pigs should stand good for your shipping fees.
    Hell kimi...I'm gettin out of crack and into Varget[:D]
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the 175.00 for the 8lb of powder is crazy to begin with.
    Then the waterheads run it up to the ubsurd price it is at now.
    edited November -1
    $175 for 8 lbs is ONLY $22 a pound. $680 is only triple retail. $167 for those primers is 5 TIMES retail[:0]
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats crazy, people need to calm down
  • glynglyn Member Posts: 5,698 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There certainly some very silly people here and some greedy ones.
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    powder is one thing that has not gone sky high here.
    still $17-23 a pound
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by glyn
    There certainly some very silly people here and some greedy ones.

are you implying that THIS seller is greedy?

not putting words in your particular mouth but this seller started his auction at 175, it was idiots who bid it up to that amount.
    edited November -1
    The seller was not greedy. He started it at about what he paid for it with no reserve. The bidder set the price. Thats the way an auction works
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Just for perspective that changes the powder cost in a 50 gr load from .16 to .61. Add bullet and primer and your over .90 without the brass. Thats putting the cost to reload , lets say a 308 round, easily over a buck each. [:0] OUCH
    edited November -1
    Shootuadeal, i agree with you on that. People paying this much for powder and primers is only going to hurt the prices we pay in the future.
  • glynglyn Member Posts: 5,698 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No Im not saying he is greedy but there are some on here who put rediculously high reserves reserves onthings like primers etc.But there again I am not a retail person.Dont suppose I would make a living in that industry.I know that I charge a lot less than I should for my services,but I make a fair living.
    edited November -1
    Well,

I agree it's not the seller's fault that the bids have reached $680. He started it at $175, which is what I have seen it sell for around here. It's panic, and the irony is so thick you could cut it.

For years now, there are a few individuals out there who have suggested that folks should be stocking up on ammo, primers, powder, brass, and bullets. Those suggestions were met with, "Run chicken little; the sky is falling" or "Take off the tin foil hat, lunatic."

Many of the same detractors who heckled folks that stated, "Prepare", are the same ones who are now in a state of panic, and willing to pay $700 for an 8# keg of powder.
    'Tough schit', says I.

I have 3 unopened 8# kegs of Varget that I purchased years ago, and have no doubt I could list it and make a substantial profit on it, but I'll be damned if I'll put it up for auction and contribute to the preparedness level of the same folks who 'laughed' years ago; you should have stocked up then.

Good friggon riddance.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I'm going to have to start selling my powder on GB! As always, I'll start it off with a reasonable bid and let it run from there...which is exactly what this seller did.
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who does position rifle shooting in NRA competition. To practice and go to competitions he shoots at least 500 rds a month minimum. He buys his supplies from the same source as always. He keeps a couple thou bullets and primers on hand for his hobby and prolly 2 kegs of Varget the same way he has done for the last 15 years. Now the supply line has been interrupted. He likes to shoot. So to continue to do this he has to pay more. Just like a GOOD drunk he AINT gonna stop shooting. He works a full time job and does not have time to chase all over looking for bullets/primers/powder. He now buys them off GB/AA. 8lbs times 7000grns gives him enough powder to load around 1100 rounds of 308. High prices yea but like he said. "IM still shooting"[;)]