In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Eotech scope for handgun. (Opinions)

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in General Discussion
I am going to get an eotech for my S&W 41 mag with the 8 3/8 barrel. I had a Bushnell holosight on it, but it wouldn't work well in cold weather. I just don't know anything about them or what model to look at for a handgun. What model should I get or are there other/better options[?] I want to keep the price around 500. I can get dealers pricing on them through a good friend. He quoted me 328.00 for a 512 model. I have never own one, but shot an ar 15 with one mounted on it. Not worried about the extra weight, the holosight was pretty heavy. Going to use it to deer hunt. I don't want a regular pistol scope, but something with an electronic sight/red dot. I cannot see the crosshairs real good and won't wear my glasses while hunting. Oakie

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello What distance are you planning on shooting at deer size game[?]. What weather conditions[?] ever hunting in rain[?] I like the red dot scope better that an reflex sight Its like a scope but better no Parallax and always full field of view with eye 2inches or 2 feet away. some rain protection with lens shades. you can get them with adjustable dot size.
    EDIT OK OAKIE Terminology is key in some ways REFLEX sights fall into many different designs . but the two basic differences are Where is the lens that the dot is reflecting off of. It is my understanding that no matter if the dot is Red Green or any other color that there is a Special lens that reflexes this dot but lets you see straight through the lens with no apparent blockage of anything else.I don't like the type that has the lens just setting out in the open The unit might be water proof "meaning it will not suffer any damage if put completely under water but it will limit you seeing clearly through it sort of like looking out the windshield of your car when driving in the rain. The other type OF RED dot and the kind I like is a TUBE that looks like a short conventional Scope BUT without magnification. However the rear and front lens are recessed within the body of the tube and many of these units have a SUN SHADE both on front and rear. to block out sun shining directly on the lens But more importantly it also keeps the rain off both lens unless you point the gun it is mounted on straight up. In shooting Pistol matches most ranges have covered firing points so both reflex sights work well However out doors like Hunting or Camp Perry rain will ruin your day [V][:(]
    with a unit that does not protect against rain getting on the reflecting lens itself. even if it does no damage. it screws up being able to see the dot or the target.I have a number of extra red dot units . I will not give away but will loan to let you see what you like.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am shooting at 100 yards or less. More on the less side, probably no more then 50 to 60 yards in cold weather. Some rain or snow. I love to hunt in the rain. Kill most of my big bucks in the rain. I was looking at the Eotech XPS2-0. It is fog proof and water proof up to 33' under water. I has something similar, but it quit on me. I tried a few others like the Tasco pro point PDP CMP 5, which I have on my S&W model 41 22LR. I also tried a regular handgun scope and it was hard for me to see. I want something that will have a quick target acquisition and great eye relief. Eotech offers some of the better scopes and seem to be built for what I want, extreme weather. I just wanted opinions on this brand from someone that owns one or has a red dot scope on their handgun. What is the difference between the red dot and a Parallax scope Karl?? One reflex light and one doesn't[?] Not sure. Oakie
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    The only issue against the EOTech for handgun usage is the size and weight of the unit, but if that is no bother then it should work well for you. The basic 512 would work great for that application and for the ranges you'll be working in. Another choice that many have moved to is the Leupold Delta point, much smaller and lighter but with a large view screen, however it is a bit more expensive then a EOTech.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465777443
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the Burris Fastfire III, a small light reflex sight. I've got one on a Glock 20 I use for hunting and am well satisfied with it after a year of use. The price with mount runs about half the price of an Eotech. Suggest you call Burris and ask them about cold weather use and a mounting plate for your gun
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with MK19 and posh. I would go with a smaller unit.

On a side note Oakie, I hunt almost exclusively with a handgun. I shoot either a S&W 629 Classic with a 6.5" barrel or a TC super 14 in 30-30. I have tried red dot sights on the S&W Like the Tasco and the Aimpoint and did not like them or they fell apart, so I went back to a 2x scope. I am really considering a Fast fire now that I seen them work on a few guns and shot a pistol with one.
    RLTW

• Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    My only EOTech is a model 511, and it's on an AR not a handgun.

I like the speed of the sight and the special abilities it offers. The angle you look through a holographic sight does not matter. If you can see the reticle, it is at the point of impact. If the glass should be damaged and the reticle is still visible in a portion of it, it is at the point of impact.

The size and weight are certainly a factor. But so too is a more traditional long eye relief pistol scope.

EOTech also has their Mini Red Dot Sight. Not a holographic sight, but small for handguns.

Looked for auctions showing EOTech's on big revolvers. Found just this one.

Smith and Wesson 629 Classic .44 magnum $850 BIN
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465270187

pix228327542.jpg

pix414021472.jpg

pix731278509.jpg

pix468419185.jpg

pix959453008.jpg
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had two Eotechs and sold them both. I'd go with something smaller and with a green dot instead of the red.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    I had two Eotechs and sold them both. I'd go with something smaller and with a green dot instead of the red.

Agree I shot a S&W 629 with an Eotech sight and found it to be clumsy to handle. Also on board with the green dot, I find the red unpleasant to my eyes.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie, I can't comment on an EOTech on a handgun but have run one on my M4 for years. It's taken incredible abuse and keeps going. I can see where weight/size may be an issue. There are some good suggestions above.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Karl, Perry shooter, sent me a lot of pictures and info. Karl is a great guy and has a lot of experience and some awesome handguns. I cannot thank him and others for their advice. You guys have now gave me some food for thought. Oakie.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    OAKIE a few things I left out The Gilmore & Ultra dot will both stand up to recoil The one with the 3 rings Has over 250,000 rounds on it slide mounted only minor repair I did myself one time less that $1.00 part. Never had problem with the other two or the Ultradot or Weaver of course these most likely have had less than 5,000 rounds through them I slide mount all my semi auto except Rimfire are barrel mounted.
    rimfire pistols High Standards AND Kart conversion units have tons of rounds at least 100 rounds a week X 45 years not counting matches
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Have you checked out the Trijicon RMR? I see a lot of people putting them on semi auto's these days, they make a mount for large frame S&W revolvers.

The Vortex Razor red dot also looks nice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid
    Have you checked out the Trijicon RMR? I see a lot of people putting them on semi auto's these days, they make a mount for large frame S&W revolvers.

The Vortex Razor red dot also looks nice.

The Trijicon RMR is on the short list. I was reading about them an hour ago. They look awesome too. The short of it, I will be carrying the handgun in a shoulder holster to accommodate the handgun, to hunt at my cabin in PA. I will only be taking one or two at the most shots at a deer. Not using it to shoot a lot of rounds. Want something waterproof and shock proof. I hunt a lot in the rain.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_785507_-1_775655_757896_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

0akie-- l bought one of these off GB in 2013. lt was my first gun with a red dot and a brake... As a pkg this 629 Magnum Hunter has been a reasl fun gun for me..l have put 1100 thru it so far. Not a bit of trouble with this UTG Leapers red dot..You can get the silly site by itself for $31 from MidwayUSA... Kinda CHEAP of Smith n Wesson to put a $31 site on a $1400 gun , but they did it..try one of these.. l liked it so much l put one on my 657PC 41mag using a Wigatinney base..lf you don't like it you aren't out a bundle.. l like it just as much as an UltraDot l have on another 629...[^]

l have used THIS practicing for IHMSA in 2015...l just wonder which is gonna crap out first behind a diet of 300gr Sierras and LilGun powder[?] The gun or the site [?] 0r my hand [:0]