In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Picked up some Chrome wheels for the TA

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Anodized blue wheels are discontinued. They are coming off of car to reinstall the day it is sold.

DSCN0315.jpg

Comments

• cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    MUCH BETTER!

Needed to take the "hood" out of the car.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last list at dealers for the anodized wheels were $875 each. Screw one up with curb rash or if they get nicked up say goodbye to your investment come auction day. Can't risk injury to one of them.
  • garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    $875.00 for one wheel? That is more than my whole set of tires cost, and I drive a dually.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HobbyGuy
    quote:Originally posted by garanch
    $875.00 for one wheel? That is more than my whole set of tires cost, and I drive a dually.

I see you are impressed too. [;)]

Jim

LOL, well stunned into silence might be the description.
    edited November -1
    It's always entertaining to hear about your latest trust fund expense. [:)]

Jim

Your Welcome
  • EZRyderEZRyder Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A garage I used to deal with told me about a customer they had who owned a Harley Davidson edition F150. The customer somehow managed to trash all four wheels (exclusive to that model) If I recall correctly, they told me the wheels were something like $1,500 apiece!
    edited November -1
    This is gonna' sound real stupid but, what is a TA?
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is gonna' sound real stupid but, what is a TA?

Trans Am.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for clearing that up. I have another question. I am not a car person myself, but, how do you get the tires mounted without them scratching the rims? Or taking the chance of scratching them. If my wheels cost that much I could not stand the thought of taking the chance of a tire man scratching one.
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    What would it cost to have the chrome stripped, and then anodize the replacement wheels?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aspen79se
    What would it cost to have the chrome stripped, and then anodize the replacement wheels?

Chrome wheels are 16". Anodized are 17" which came on the 30th anniversary package. I highly doubt if you stripped the 16" the anodize would match. Problem if one wheel is screwed up. Getting a matching wheel would be hard. IN fact some early cars had darker wheels. Not much leadway on only 500 cars to find a matching wheel.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Thanks for clearing that up. I have another question. I am not a car person myself, but, how do you get the tires mounted without them scratching the rims? Or taking the chance of scratching them. If my wheels cost that much I could not stand the thought of taking the chance of a tire man scratching one.

That's easy. Just use $100 bills as spacers between the bar and the rim. [;)]

Jim

Will a stack of 20, $100 bills be sufficient? or am I thinking like a lowly renter again? [:D]
    edited November -1

Not nearly enough, I assure you.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind

Jim

Will a stack of 20, $100 bills be sufficient? or am I thinking like a lowly renter again? [:D]

I will use a Mexican to change the wheels. A few taco shells should be sufficient.
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire

Chrome wheels are 16". Anodized are 17" which came on the 30th anniversary package. I highly doubt if you stripped the 16" the anodize would match. Problem if one wheel is screwed up. Getting a matching wheel would be hard. IN fact some early cars had darker wheels. Not much leadway on only 500 cars to find a matching wheel.

Just trying to find an alternate way of putting wheels on it, yet keeping the look. Powder coating, maybe? You could always pick up some used/inexpensive 17" wheels and find out.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    that's the best idea yet, the car has to have those pretty blue wheels to retain it's true collector value and it would be a shame to curb them showing off your parallel parking skills.
    As a matter of personal taste, I like the chrome wheels better, they are simple and look factory enough that people who don't know the difference, won't know the difference.
    If you take the TA to a show, you can always swap the correct wheels back on for those few extra points we all know makes the difference between a trophy and a quite ride home empty handed. and of course having those wheels to put back on the car when you sell it will help it achieve maximum value.
  • btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definately better.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah,..but they are still ugly[:p] why not pick up a set of weld wheels or centerlines or something and throw the tires on them instead??

I just never really liked factory wheels of any kind,...it's just my hangup I guess. I like kickazz aftermarket wheels,..and in todays world, they cost the same. I never would have thought that would happen growing up,..we could give factory wheels away.
    edited November -1
    I think these would look better. More authentic. [:)]

WebPic%20Wagon%20Wheel.jpg

Jim

You need some mortar work on the wall..[:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    quote:Originally posted by freemind

Jim

I will use a Mexican to change the wheels. A few taco shells should be sufficient.

Just make sure they are illegals. That is your speciality correct?

And pay them with a CC so you can cancel the charges. Don't want to see your trust fund dwindle needlessly.

Maybe you could rent to them to boot.

[}:)]
    edited November -1
    Who do you think polishes the car and the wheels for the car shows? [:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    s-f THE FAStest car I ever rode in was an Anniversary Trans Am. I saw 162 on that speedometer. As far I know it WAS stock. That was pretty well confirmed when I saw a road test on one is ROAD & TRACK. Theirs went 163. Twas NOT a v8. But a lowly v6 87 model 20th anni one[:0]
    edited November -1
    Pontiac made some really great cars. Sadly thay are no more[:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    s-f THE FAStest car I ever rode in was an Anniversary Trans Am. I saw 162 on that speedometer. As far I know it WAS stock. That was pretty well confirmed when I saw a road test on one is ROAD & TRACK. Theirs went 163. Twas NOT a v8. But a lowly v6 87 model 20th anni one[:0]

Fuel shutoff on the LS-1's is at 168 MPH.
    edited November -1
    The only LT I am familiar would only do 130+. 1971 LT1 350 cid 330hp.
    6200rpm in 4th 3.70 posi Solid lifter motor 4bbl Holley 9.1-1 cr[:0]
    edited November -1
    My bad.. I meant LS-1
    edited November -1
    ALMOST bought a 69 "L88" from Nalley Chevrolet in Atlanta Turbo 400 3.36 posi for $4200 during the 73 Oil Embargo. 17K miles[:(]