In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How do I take the sights off a XD 45

War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I just got my night glow sights.

Comments

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brass punch and hammer.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by War Pig Actual
    I just got my night glow sights.
    oxy-acetelyne torch.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    4 1/2" DeWalt side grinder[:D]
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I can't. I was going to, but everyone else already beat me to it.
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    Gunsmith for sure, unless you know how to use a blow torch.[;)]
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All these high tech specialized tools being suggested to the same job an old fashioned tried and trued American rock can accomplish.
  • rdc5rdc5 Member Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    I can't. I was going to, but everyone else already beat me to it.

me either[B)]
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    What, you can't buy an XD with night sights already installed or are you trying to pimp your gun?
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sight pusher! I changed some today and the front post broke off the base. XD has the tightest installed sights there is.

Lance
  • Lonestar86Lonestar86 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zink
    Sight pusher! I changed some today and the front post broke off the base. XD has the tightest installed sights there is.

Lance

That's advice I could have used three month's ago Lance. I have the prettiest XD 45 ever with a brass punch scar going a quarter way down the slide top. I could have cried.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lonestar86

Lance

That's advice I could have used three month's ago Lance. I have the prettiest XD 45 ever with a brass punch scar going a quarter way down the slide top. I could have cried.

If you put Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner on it, let it set for 10 min and brush the brass will come off.

Lance
  • SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The XD's are as bad a Sig with the sights. A good heavy vise, good padding for the drift and brass drift punch.
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is only two ways!

1. side grinder

2. is a 12 pound hammer
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sights on an XD are installed at the factory the same way a freeze plug is used.

The sight is made over size and then frozen before installing into the slide. Once it reaches the temperature of the slide it has returned to its original size and is a hard one to budge.
  • Lonestar86Lonestar86 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Lance

If you put Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner on it, let it set for 10 min and brush the brass will come off.

Lance

Thanks for the advice, I haven't even picked her up since I committed "Gun abuse" to her. My shooting buddy threatened me with a restraining order over the whole ordeal......Wouldn't happen to know agood gun smith in Fargo who could change those sites out for me would ya????? I will be up there in three weeks once school is out.
    edited November -1

Lance

Lance

Thanks for the advice, I haven't even picked her up since I committed "Gun abuse" to her. My shooting buddy threatened me with a restraining order over the whole ordeal......Wouldn't happen to know agood gun smith in Fargo who could change those sites out for me would ya????? I will be up there in three weeks once school is out.

Come on by Gander and I'll change them for you.[;)]

Lance
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Lonestar, Why not Call Springfield and ask if you can send them the slide and make it good as new[;)]