In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

They Live Like Sardines

NiccoHelNiccoHel Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in General Discussion
Wow, some of these people make me want to invest in bunk bed companies!

I am renting out a duplex unit and have been filtering through the applications. The home is a simple two-bedroom, one-bath with yard and garage, yet people keep wondering if they can move in with their enormous families. I just turned away a guy that wanted to know if he could rent the place out for eight people. Eight!?

Another person wants to rent the place out for her self, her mother, and five children...

This one, though, I am sure you guys will love the most:

Single mother... four kids... pregnant with number five... Income? Welfare and other social services, and child support from two different guys. Oh, and no form of US ID, just a passport. Not from Mexico though, in case you were wondering.

Luckily I can't be charged with discrimination against any of them based on race, social status, or what have you, as I am rejecting them simply for occupancy reasons.

One family of four that wants to move in has me wondering about different background check companies. The younger couple are US citizens, as is their aunt, but the uncle is a Mexican here on a what I assume is a work visa. He has apparently been employed in the states for a number of years now, but he uses his Mexico-issue Driver's License and his tax ID...

What companies do any of you landlords use to check for foreign tenants? As I have mentioned, I am currently filtering through the applications, but I've never had to check international records before. The service I use doesn't seem to have that feature as far as I can tell.

Any advice?

Comments

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my friends had her two daughters, future son-in-law, the other daughter's girlfriend and 3 or 4 grandkids living in a two bedroom house.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • NiccoHelNiccoHel Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    One of my friends had her two daughters, future son-in-law, the other daughter's girlfriend and 3 or 4 grandkids living in a two bedroom house.

How big were the rooms?! [:0] How long were they living like that?

I've heard stories before about multiple occupants in a small dwelling, but could never figure out how a person could stand to be so crowded. There was a case over in New York a number of years back where 57 illegal immigrants were crammed into two 4-bedroom apartments. Simply crazy. However there was something about them being sweat shop workers or some crap like that...
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a Property Manager of residential apartments, we had a limitation of 2 per bedroom.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Isa 5:8 KJV - Woe unto them that join house to house, [that] lay field to field, till [there be] no place, that they may be placed alone in the midst of the earth!
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    may i suggest the old flip down chained to the wall old fashion jail beds[:D]
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Nicco..a thought:

It saved me tons of grief, if you are willing to gamble a 'tad'..

I advertised my rentals as One Bedroom!

Now, many were turned away, due to the extra size (two bedrooms is what I really had to offer), but the rental price was there up-front.

Bottom line: I got ZERO applicants with children! Now, aint that a kick in the head! Side-stepped the discrimination angle completely! Joe
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only rent to military personel. I live not to far from Fort Dix and Miguire air force base. They always keep my house and property clean. If they miss their date on the rent, I call their CO and he brings me a check within three days. They have no more houseing on base and need a place to keep their personel.I have never had a problem with them paying rent or things getting broken. I just listed a house today at the base and already have five applications to rent. I get 1800 a month for the house and eight hundred a month to rent out my five car garage on the property by a lanscape bussiness.
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Mexican migrant tobacco workers in this area will have 20 or more in a 4 room house! Stack em in like cord wood. That is how they can send so much money back to Mexico. All 20 or more pitch in on the rent. I have "flirted" with buying some of the foreclosure properties around here but we have way too many empty houses now so have passed on buying them.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    I had a coworker that was trying to find a new place. A single mom with a boy and a girl. She got turned down trying to rent a 2 bedroom house because the landlord didn't feel it was right that the boy and girl share a room. They were 8 and 10 respectively.
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I got called once to an apartment complex in rural MN with the complaint that none of the water heaters were working. After checking 2 of the units I determined the water heaters were functioning just fine. After counting the pairs of shoes lined up down the hallway I asked the cute little 9 yr old girl, who spoke English, how many people lived in her apt. She added them up in her head and said 14. I then asked about the unit across the hall and after a pause she replied 18. 32 people in two 2 bedroom apts. I billed the management for my time and wrote too many mexicans per water heater on the bill.
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How else are people going to cope with the unemployment rates that are still getting worse?

• Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz
    How else are people going to cope with the unemployment rates that are still getting worse?

There are a lot of good folks in the world having very real problems, including here in the US.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...A friend of over 30 years is a lifelong farmer, and owns a building with section 8 housing units. He never has to worry about getting the rent. He has a full time "handyman" in one of the units for whatever goes wrong. Not a bad investment at all. Wish that I'd have gotten in on something like that when I had the cash.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    All the poor people that got evicted by the housing bust and foreclosures have had to move SOMEWHERE. Population is still here. They moved in w/family-friends. Rentals are in demand. As long as this DEPRESSION lasts the housing will only get worse [V]