In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 597 opinions likes dislikes

JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
Okie, I found a Remington 597 new in box for $195+tax, I can probably get them to knock a little off. It has the threaded barrel and the only reason I want this is because of the threaded barrel. I don't have a .22 rifle that is threaded.

So what say ye? Worth it, waste of money? Be honest, I need to know because I would like to get this gun.

Thx.

Comments

• Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother has one and he likes it. I like my 10/22s better.

It would be cheaper to thread a .22 you already have, but I think that's about the cheapest you can buy a threaded .22 rifle.

The accuracy of the 597 from the factory is fairly mediocre and there is comparatively little aftermarket if you want to personalize/improve accuracy.

What do you want it to do?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well threading an existing gun will cost in the $100-$150 range depending on shipping and who does the work. I have spent the past 2 years looking for someone in Dallas to thread one of my guns and they are either 6-12 months back logged or in some cases they have stop taking orders altogether.

So for $200 having gun with a the barrel done isn't a problem. I am interested in accuracy and feeding. I don't want it if its going to wimp out if I use bulk ammo time to time.

I want to put a can and an illuminated sight on it and zero it in for about 125 ft. It's my turtle killer, maybe a squirrel killer if they become a nuisance. basically I got this can with the intentions of eventually putting it on a rifle and buying a oasis p unit for the pistol.
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    +1 on being cheaper to thread the barrel of a 22 you already have

and

+1 on I prefer the 10/22, especially now that Ruger has a 25rd factory mag that really works (although expensive for a plinker)

The 597 is a fine plinker, I just like the plethera of upgrade and customization options available to the 10/22
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Upgrading isnt that big a deal to me, never was into customizing the guns. just not me no big deal.

The 597 has a factory 30 rnd mag available for $18 and I forgot to mention the gun has the picanny rail included so the illuminated scope in thegarage doing nothing will snap right on ready to go.

If I had my choice I'd rather have a bolt action rifle, but this is not hurting my feeling as of right now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i take it this is not a popular gun by the lack of response
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    i take it this is not a popular gun by the lack of response

There were a lot of issues early on. Not sure if they fixed them.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can improve the accuracy of your .22 dramatically by polishing the bore.

Get some JB Bore Paste, or equivalent, from Brownells or a good gun shop and use that. Clean the bore well with a good powder solvent and a brass brush. Then, scrub the bore in 3-inch sections with the bore paste, using generious amounts of the paste on either a brass brush or a bore mop. Scrub back and forth about ten or fifteen times, over each of the 3-inch sections of the bore, then advance to the next section, overlapping the last. When done, clean the bore well again with a good powder solvent and a clean brass brush to remove every bit of the bore paste. Finish off with a patch soaked in solvent.

The difference in accuracy is immediately noticable. You can keep that accuracy high by cleaning the bore frequently.
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 597 about 7 years ago. Finnicky on ammo is putting it nicely.

The bolt rails have to be snugged just right or it binds on cycling or doesnt cycle at all.

If you are willing to go around $200, then look at the new 10/22 FS. It comes slick (no sights) but is factory threaded with a flash hider that comes right off for whatever you want to put on there.

There new BX25 mag functions perfectly with both of my 10/22s.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thx, I think you have sold me. I never have been a fan of the 10/22 but it looks like I now have a reason to buy one.