In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How can an auction

moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
edited October 2012 in General Discussion
reflect a 4% discount for cash or check??

Price reflects a 4% cash or check discount, credit cards do not apply for the discount and must add 4

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The search tab is your friend, upper RT next to FAQ.

Credit cards COST the seller a lot of money. Credit card companies are happy to skewer the seller with swipe fees, percentages of the sale and charge backs for fraud. Credit card companies screw the seller and the buyer into a stupor.

How do you think Bank of America and Chase can afford to pay for the huge buildings, salaries of the top brass and all the bad loans they made??? Let me clue you in, they pay for it in charging 38 bucks to bounce a check, 4% "service fees" on accepting credit cards, $39.00 late fees and 29.90% punitive Gotcha interest rates for being one day late on your payment.

Send a Postal Money order and don't worry about it.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Just wait until sales tax has to be collected.

I'm sure someone is going to charge a 'tax collection and disbursement fee'.

Just spent 700 at a local mom and pop. They didn't charge me 4%. I drove 40 miles because I've used them before. They don't bargain. This is the price or this is my offer.

Always better than other dealers first offer and almost always better than their last offer too.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    seems only online sellers do the 3/4% thing never at a brick and morter
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix

Don't kid yourself; that cost is already factored into their price. When my friend Ron and I had out gun shop everything was priced to reflect a 3% CC merchants fee that we would have to pay so if someone walked in and paid cash on a big item we were 3% ahead (and Ron smiled for ten minutes). Big box stores can cut a better deal on fees but even then those fees amount to huge money. The main reason that stores like Target want you to get a credit card from them is because that they don't have to come across with any merchant fee on their own plastic. Up until this year it was technically against the regulations for merchants to charge a different rate for using a credit card (they had to agree to this when they came on board with the card) so the "discount for cash" was the SOP. It is my understanding this has changed and merchants can now openly charge a fee for accepting plastic.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every gun store I have ever worked in charged an added percentage for credit card use.....and I have been in gun stores all my life. (Not that it wasn't an "allowed" practice by the card companies....but everyone did it anyway....because it is just understood that the added charge is something that can be avoided if a customer wants to pay ANY other way.)
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In other words, Moonshine, the price doesn't really reflect a "discount"; it's just a warning that you will be charged a penalty if you don't pay cash.

Nancy Pelosi made a small fortune on the VISA IPO; don't expect Congress to reduce bank fees.

Neal
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix

We have 1 Brick n Mortar that does this, another one calls it non member pricing.

Guns shows are where this nonsense came from. I remember not so long along credit cards were king because they got the money that day unlike checks and they didnt have to keep so much cash on hand

now it's easy way to steal