In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

2008 mustang Convertible

tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
my work car is on its last leg so im looking at a 2008 mustang Convertible and had a few [?] about how well the tops hold up
to the weather and such.
I am looking at a 08 with 12000 miles on it and think Im getting a good deal just wanted to see some input from some other folks that have had one.

thanks
taz

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This reminds me of the time I sold a new Dodge Daytona to a customer who had an aftermarket sunroof installed. When he came in for service, I asked him how his car was running. He said "Great, but my sunroof leaks when it rains". I replied, "Well, now you know why they don't call it a rainroof!" [:D]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vert tops lifetime pends on how the car is stored. Direct sunlight will fade them out along with the weather. My 35 yr. old vette had the original top on it when I changed it out 2 yrs. ago. It needed top pads but was still serviceable. Top on trans am which is 10 yr old. looks 100 %. It hasn't seen the outside much with only 13k mile on it.
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    This reminds me of the time I sold a new Dodge Daytona to a customer who had an aftermarket sunroof installed. When he came in for service, I asked him how his car was running. He said "Great, but my sunroof leaks when it rains". I replied, "Well, now you know why they don't call it a rainroof!" [:D]

hmmm well this is not a aftermarket one so I hope it dont leak [B)][:D][:D]
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd only own a convertible if you have a garage or some place to keep it out of the weather otherwise it will not last as long. Also be prepared that some idjit will come along and cut the top-many times just for fun and not just to steal something. The ONE TIME I left my '05 Wrangler out in front of my house instead of putting it in the back yard a jerk cut the top and stole my stereo and some other items--and boy did he STINK[xx(] Not that hardtop cars don't get broken into, but softtops are just easier.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    I'd only own a convertible if you have a garage or some place to keep it out of the weather otherwise it will not last as long. Also be prepared that some idjit will come along and cut the top-many times just for fun and not just to steal something. The ONE TIME I left my '05 Wrangler out in front of my house instead of putting it in the back yard a jerk cut the top and stole my stereo and some other items--and boy did he STINK[xx(] Not that hardtop cars don't get broken into, but softtops are just easier.

good point that never crossed my mind
    edited November -1
    Resale... Verts bring way more money[:)]
  • PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recently sold a '94 Mustang 'vert with 100,000+ miles. Top was fine. Went thru two kids in high school and college. Spent about half it's life parked outside. Replaced with '08 Sebring 'vert which is also red and now our only car.
    Pete
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tazzer
    my work car is on its last leg so im looking at a 2008 mustang Convertible and had a few [?] about how well the tops hold up
    to the weather and such.
    I am looking at a 08 with 12000 miles on it and think Im getting a good deal just wanted to see some input from some other folks that have had one.

thanks
    taz

I LOVE the newer Mustangs, what an awesome car! I have a 2006 GT with 5,000 miles!

I've never owned a convertible, but i worked on cars for years and have come in contact with many. If you can protect it somewhat from the extreme heat and extreme cold, you shouldn't have any problems. Garage would be better than leaving it outside.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Tip: Car Cover.

Worth every cent.

Ask select-fire...I bet he knows.

Doug
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mango tango
    quote:Originally posted by tazzer
    to the weather and such.

thanks
    taz

I LOVE the newer Mustangs, what an awesome car! I have a 2006 GT with 5,000 miles!

I've never owned a convertible, but i worked on cars for years and have come in contact with many. If you can protect it somewhat from the extreme heat and extreme cold, you shouldn't have any problems. Garage would be better than leaving it outside.
    you love it so much you never drive it?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    Tip: Car Cover.

Worth every cent.

Ask select-fire...I bet he knows.

Doug

You got that right. All my cars stay covered up. Sunlight will fade paint and tops. Convertible cars are actually heavier than a hardtop/coupe car.
    edited November -1
    thanks for all teh input

taz
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I, correction my wife has a 2008 mustang convertible its pretty good the only problem we ever had was with the window. When you open the door the window drops down automatically when my wife was at work she could not open the door to get in and leave it was sleeting most of the day and it was frozen shut. She has remote start and after about 20 minuets it thawed out enough to open. I hope you get the fog lights on it. They look nice. Also they make something called ragtop cleaner and conditioner. You can get it off the internet. Its fairly expensive. I dont know how much its been a while since i bought any. Guessing about 50 dollars. Good Luck.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a Corvette guy, but I will say this. I really like the appearence of the new Mustangs...

Go back and look at the first generation of convertibles and see how they look.