In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Camping/Survival Tips (With Recipe)

MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Did you know you can start a fire w/ only about a pint of Charcoal Starter?

Camp Hamburgers:
. take a big handful of hamburger meat out of container, shape, form, press,
mash, knead into patties. (Be sure that each one has about the same amount
of gnats, and mixed throughout the pattie)

. when cooking over an open fire of whatever wood your children gathered
(deadwood, vines, God only knows what kind), be certain to get several pcs
of ash on each side, and some dirt, to mask the crunchy gnats.

.........Although it is typical that we leave our cell phones, watches, puters, and all other electronic equipment behind when we go camping, if you attempt to cook biscuits
in a dutch oven on the open fire, it would be a good idea to pay close attention to the amount of time they are in there.

after hiking w/ your family for a while and pointing out all the different native plants that can be eaten (or drank), all of you will be hungry for a snack when you get back to camp. Be sure to take plenty of oatmeal creme pies, star crunches, and, my favorite, nutty bars.

Some day soon, our very survival may cause to resort to some very uncomfortable choices.
Meanwhile, I will enjoy my nutty bars.

----

Please share any C/S tips that come to mind.

Anyone have a good recipe for possum?
squirrel?
Armadillo?

Seriously, what have you learned about survival on a campout?

Comments

• hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cream of mushroom on squrrile backed is very good.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Always have a few gallon size ziplocks and keep one or two full with dry underwear and socks...
  • MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
    edited November -1
    Pitch your tent on high ground.

NO food inside your tent.

Hang your cooler or food sack from a jin pole.

Ron
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    don't smoke craclk!
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    don't smoke craclk!
    I've heard that craclk is some nasty new stuff...I would never take it camping....you could never bring enuf munchies
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    squirrel,rabbit, possum, *, fowl, and venison steaks.

dig a 2-3 foot deep pit. line it with stones. you can cook or smoke meat with this cooking method.

place stout sticks into the walls about mid way after you have stoked the bottom with wood.

place a flat stone on top with open slits on either side

let the fire burn down to coals and restoke it,

place the meat "firmly" attached to a spit on onto the frame. Dont let legs hang down.

Close off the top except for drawing holes on either side with the rock again.

When you look down into it it should look like this(I) The top and botom arms of the I being the frame, the vetical line being the spit.

If you like you can dig a shallow pit to one side and run the stick trough it turn it into a rotisory. getting the meat can be tricky when its done cooking tho. Also a few short ties of wire or string keeps the animal carcas attacked to the spit better.
    Works many times and reduces the risk of fires.

I like to rub down the meat with red pepper.

I like to cook meat 1 hour per pound.
  • SG_NinerSG_Niner Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the only thing i take camping and it works every time!!

carolyncamping.jpg
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just have to make sure that my wife has her satellite dish and her air conditioning working!
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Camping/Survival Tips..

Yea I have one. Do not relay on people such as Les Stroud (Survivorman) to get information. Forced myself to watch three of his shows one after the other and it hit me as to why he only does 7 days "in the wild". The stupid stuff he does to attempt to get food, build a shelter and his boy scout fire building ability would have his crew carrying out a corpse on day eight.

quote:Did you know you can start a fire w/ only about a pint of Charcoal Starter?

Why do you need a pint of charcoal lighter fluid to start a fire?

Take a small cake pan about the size of a charcoal lighter fluid can. Pack it with lint from the dryer. Melt and pour candle wax over it. Let it harden. Break off a piece and you have a good fire starter.

Better yet. Find an old Magnesium Suzuki motorcycle or VW engine block. Shave some off. Place in a plastic bag. Take a propane flint striker and build a good hot fire in just about any weather.

Saying around here for meat. "If it can move under it's own power. It's edible."

Plants. Locally thousands are edible. From Cattail roots to Stinging Needle. You just got to know how to prepare them.
  • crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
    edited November -1
    Rain gear, rain gear, rain gear.... Or spare bullets for the weatherman... Pemmican?? Don't know how to make it but familiar with the concept... Thermarest sleeping pads-why? because we are not as young as we used to be, and we don't want our children to know that... Cottonballs with vaseline and magnesium firestarter- To impress your loved ones with your mad pyro skilz... some little bits of copper to throw in the fire- change the channel on "survival TV". Working knowledge of nearby hotels for when the Mrs decides enough is enough.. An extra tent in case the first one "talks back".. Separate sleeping quarters for kids and adults <--I remember what I was like as a kid... Rehearse the phrase "kids need more firewood" <-- gets them out of camp and there is never enough firewood..

Wrap bacon around water chesnuts and cook over fire yum

When more comes I will post..
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to get some of the books by Patrick MacManus. Start with "A Fine and Pleasant Misery" or "They Shoot canoes, don't They?" or "The Night The Bear Ate Goombaw". (Caution- do not read in presence of other people, who will wonder why you are rolling on ground laughing) Some of his recipes are classics, including Whatchagot Stew, Bacon Flambe, and the favorite- scrambled eggs (squeezed out from the sox and underwear in the bottom of your pack).

Our youngsters always liked anything in the way of baked goods- corn bread, muffins, biscuits. Amazing what you can bake with some aluminum foil, an empty beef stew can, and 4 charcoal bricquets. But practice in the backyard so screwing up does not equal going hungry.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A big blue tarp saved my last rainy camping trip. Jury rigged it next to the tent for a rain shelter. Sat out in the rain watching frogs drinking a couple nights.

I think I will buy me a camo tarp next time.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    A big blue tarp saved my last rainy camping trip. Jury rigged it next to the tent for a rain shelter. Sat out in the rain watching frogs drinking a couple nights.

+1 on the tarp, one of those huge ones, like roofers use, or the ones people use to cover their RV's with. Ideally, the tent can go under the tarp as well.
    I also lay an old shower curtain under the tent. The bottom of the tent is supposed to be water-proof, but in really rainy weather, I find seldom is.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    quote:Originally posted by drobs

+1 on the tarp, one of those huge ones, like roofers use, or the ones people use to cover their RV's with. Ideally, the tent can go under the tarp as well.
    I also lay an old shower curtain under the tent. The bottom of the tent is supposed to be water-proof, but in really rainy weather, I find seldom is.

When we tented I uses "salvaged" tent poles and a big blue tarp to put up a rain fly, saved more than 1 trip with it..
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    15-20lb shovelhead catfish cleaned, line with wild onions, wrap in aluminum foil. Dig up your fire pit and lay this in there then cover back over with hot coals and ashes. 5 or 6 hours yum yum

If you happen to be surviving with these along they are great additions to the fish.
    salt, pepper, 2 lemons, garlic powder, butter
  • lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by drobs

What were the frogs drinking?[:D][:D][:D]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I love camping in the rain, and also in the snow.

Essentials: tarp and Crown Royal.

Doug
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    you guys are forgetting THE essential needed for camping and/or survival..

TOILET PAPER!!!![:D]
  • 1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    PBJ - my friends and I call it "Mountain Money" -- it can be worth more than gold after a few days in the woods![:D]
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SG, I can see why you have such a hot" fire[8D]. Make sure you keep enough "hard wood" available to keep it going.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PBJloaf
    you guys are forgetting THE essential needed for camping and/or survival..

TOILET PAPER!!!![:D]

You ever heard of moss?[:)]
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SG, I have only one word - "splinters"!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are stuck in your tent on a rainy day, avoid the temptation to draw pretty pictures on the inside of the tent fabric. Don't touch it at all. It will leak if you do.