In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ventura Wins Lawsuit

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited July 2014 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He "won" but only a paltry $1.8m. His lawyer wanted $5-15m.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    He must feel very proud winning a lawsuit against the widow of a real hero who couldn't defend himself. [:(!]
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    He must feel very proud winning a lawsuit against the widow of a real hero who couldn't defend himself. [:(!]

Agreed. It doesn't get much lower than suing a dead guys wife.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suspected that Kyle lied, if you watch the video on Kyle on the radio show his body language and hesitance to talk about it caused me to believe he had made it up. I think he made it up, told a buddy and that buddy ran his mouth and he was caught off guard by the question on the radio so he lied because he was on the spot and wasn't going to admit he made it up.

Ventura has every right to protect his name from defamation, and it is irrelevant if the defamer is an "American hero" or that his wife is a widow, a rich widow at that from that book deal, that in part came out of the exposure he received for defaming Ventura.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,501 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed with the previous two.

Pursuing the lawsuit, IMO, damaged his character more than did anything Kyle stated.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1

As apposed to a fellow NAVY SEAL accusing you of making comments about NAVY SEALs "deserve to lose a few." I suppose Ventura should have just allowed this man to trash his reputation? Ventura wasn't the cause of Kyle's death, so why should Ventura suffer the brunt of a lie? Ventura sweated, risked his life, and bled for this country too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

As apposed to a fellow NAVY SEAL accusing you of making comments about NAVY SEALs "deserve to lose a few." I suppose Ventura should have just allowed this man to trash his reputation? Ventura wasn't the cause of Kyle's death, so why should Ventura suffer the brunt of a lie? Ventura sweated, risked his life, and bled for this country too.

And he didn't lie about anything. That's what the "Stolen Valor" guys do.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I think I'll petition the game department to have a special season opened for Ventura- I wonder how his fat head would hold up against a varmint round.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did any witnesses testify for Kyle ? I've seen a few on T.V that stated he (Kyle) did slap Ventura [:0]..........Hell, I don't know who/what to believe but believe suing a widow is wrong [:(!], suing an estate is a different matter.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited November -1
    IIRC there were 11 witnesses for the defense.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    Did any witnesses testify for Kyle ? I've seen a few on T.V that stated he (Kyle) did slap Ventura [:0]..........Hell, I don't know who/what to believe but believe suing a widow is wrong [:(!], suing an estate is a different matter.

Legal experts had said Ventura, a former Navy SEAL, had to clear a high legal bar to win, since as a public figure he had to prove actual malice. According to the jury instructions, Ventura had to prove with "clear and convincing evidence" that Kyle either knew or believed what he wrote was untrue, or that he harbored serious doubts about its truth.

Neither Ventura nor Kyle's widow, Taya Kyle, who is the executor of his estate, were on hand for the verdict.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_26235934/jury-again-tries-verdict-ventura-libel-case

It would seem to me that had any believable witness come forward and testified to hearing Ventura make those statements, or saw Kyle and Ventura have a physical altercation then Ventura would not have won his lawsuit. I would expect that if Kyle was such a hell of a guy, that all the SEALs present would have been lining up, begging to testify on Kyle's behalf.

I am not a Ventura fan, but I am a fan of a man being able to defend his reputation, and Ventura took appropriate action. He alleged that Kyle had committed a tort against him, he filed a civil case, brought his evidence before a jury and he proved his case. Kyle had an opportunity before his untimely death to acknowledge and apologize for defaming Ventura, and he didn't, so too his widow had an opportunity to acknowledge her husband's error.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

If there is anything low down here it is lying and saying a man who served his country honorably said such a thing.

It is HARD to win a libel judgment. The standard of proof is very high. Kyle lied and Ventura finally has vindication. Good for him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigcitybill

Still just 11! Don
  • Options
    edited November -1

Apparently they weren't very good witnesses. [;)]
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    You want to take money from the wife and children of a fellow SEAL ...because you got *-slapped?

There are no words.[V]
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apparently they couldn't keep the story straight and fell apart under cross examination............all 11 of them [:(!].

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are talking about a jury in Portland Oregon. Also known as Little Beirut on the Willamette.

Given a chance to find against a Navy Seal, and for someone who made an anti-military comment such as the one Ventura is alleged to have made, and you will get the verdict just announced.

Not surprising for those of us who live near that crap hole city.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    You are talking about a jury in Portland Oregon. Also known as Little Beirut on the Willamette.

Given a chance to find against a Navy Seal, and for someone who made an anti-military comment such as the one Ventura is alleged to have made, and you will get the verdict just announced.

People say the same thing in just about every city.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

As apposed to a fellow NAVY SEAL...

Ventura sweated, risked his life, and bled for this country too.
    Ventura was never authorized to wear a SEAL trident.

He was in UDT, which itself is worthy of respect, but left the Navy years before they were dissolved and members received further training in order to be absorbed into the SEALs.

He allows himself to be painted as a VN vet without offering correction, but he in fact never entered a combat zone.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Queen of Swords
    You want to take money from the wife and children of a fellow SEAL ...because you got *-slapped?

There are no words.[V]

Yes.
    There are words.

The incident never happened.

There were two SEALS involved. One said it happened. The other claimed to be out of the country during the time it was claimed to have happened.

Then, the one who lied, died.

In the recent lawsuit, the GOV proved that the liar lied, but also (since the GOV is a public figure) the liar KNEW he was lying when he published the lie. And intended to cause harm to the GOV.

Thats the whole MALICE thing.

Training doesn't make you honest or honorable. Character does.
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over Ventura suing an estate. It is not dishonorable for anyone to make a claim against the money that was made dishonorably and dishonestly, other than to compensate the victim who was harmed in the course of making that money?

I don't know what financial shape this guys widow is in, but she doesn't get to live off of the profits made by trashing someone else's reputation.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,501 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln

If there is anything low down here it is lying and saying a man who served his country honorably said such a thing.

It is HARD to win a libel judgment. The standard of proof is very high. Kyle lied and Ventura finally has vindication. Good for him.

Not to pick, but there was no 'libel' judgment against the defendant. The defendant is dead. This was not a criminal trial for libel, rather a civil suit for damages due to hurt feelers resulting in severe and debilitating boo-boo lip.

The standard of proof in a civil suit is much lower than in a criminal trial.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040

People say the same thing in just about every city.

And in most city's they would be exaggerating. Not here.
  • Options
    PacManPacMan Member Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what does this lawsuit change?...yup. I hope he feels better now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside

There are no words.[V]

Yes.
    There are words.

The incident never happened.

There were two SEALS involved. One said it happened. The other claimed to be out of the country during the time it was claimed to have happened.

Then, the one who lied, died.

In the recent lawsuit, the GOV proved that the liar lied, but also (since the GOV is a public figure) the liar KNEW he was lying when he published the lie. And intended to cause harm to the GOV.

Thats the whole MALICE thing.

Training doesn't make you honest or honorable. Character does.

Well, if it makes Ace, I mean Jesse Ventura feel better about his manhood to exploit a widow and her children, then I guess it's alright.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny how ones great accomplishments went down the crapper on a lawsuit on a make believe story.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are some of you intellectually dishonest or do you normally support a liar?
    It appears some hold a grudge against Ventura out of proportion of this suit. If that's the case, be honest about with at least yourself.
    The man proved his case and was vindicated. Simple as that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, good for him! He is vindicated! Whohoo !
  • Options
    edited November -1

I believe he is buying the drinks tonight also. Don
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Exploit a window?" Really? Isn't it the other way around? Hasn't it been proven that the windows late husband exploited Ventura? Why should the widow profit from someone else's wrongdoing?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

I believe he is buying the drinks tonight also. Don

On Jesse "The Body" Ventura.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jgreen
    "Exploit a window?" Really? Isn't it the other way around? Hasn't it been proven that the windows late husband exploited Ventura? Why should the widow profit from someone else's wrongdoing?

Window? Really? Don
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Ventura claimed to be a Seal. Thats all I need to hear. He lied so anything out of his mouth after that I won't believe.

To me the term "Stolen Valor" comes to mind.

As for this case, well me nor anyone here on this forum know for certain. So Ventura won in court. That doesn't necessary mean his side of the story was the truth. Our court system is so flawed it is pathetic.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Because he's dead. Unless you can prove she was equally at fault.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1

WTH?

Are they friends of yours? Or are you basing this purely upon their gender?

Seriously...

Do you think Bernie Madoff's wife should get to keep the cash as well?
    Sure, he's not dead. But if he killed himself? Then you'd be ok with it? Or if someone else in prison offed him. Then its all ok?

The rationale for your position evades me.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Well, she's a woman! Don
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Plenty of veterans voted for Ventura here in MN.
  • Options
    edited November -1

WTH?

Seriously...

Sure, he's not dead. But if he killed himself? Then you'd be ok with it? Or if someone else in prison offed him. Then its all ok?

That is a ridiculous comparison. Kyle's wife didn't literally steal millions from Ventura.

Prove it.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1

WTH?

Seriously...

That is a ridiculous comparison. Kyle didn't literally steal millions from Ventura. That was a speculative figure.

If someone knowingly damages you with a lie then they have to pay. That is our law.

Uhhh....They just proved the case for the damages in a court of law. Did you miss that?