In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

In your opinion

coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
Who is the best actor
The worst
The most overrated
Most underrated

york.bmp"No taxation without representation, Join the NRA"

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What is the most underrated firearm?

I think the Stevens .410 bolt action shotguns are often overlooked, yet are great guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is humankind's destiny?

Where is humanity headed?

What is a human's innate purpose in life?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the most accurate long distance gun and caliber using a scope?
    I'm not interested in what make or model of optics, just gun and caliber. Just pretend you can have the best scope on the market.
    I think the Springfield M1A in 308 would be my choice, but I would like to hear from all others on this board.
    Also thinking of Remington 700ADL. Can the two be compared at all?

The scenario would be you are holding your own and want to pick off as many as possible before switching to your short range guns, such as a Shotgun, 30-30 or a handgun.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
  • Options
    7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by coltpax

I think the Stevens .410 bolt action shotguns are often overlooked, yet are great guns.

+1
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to add the savage 340 their not pretty but the 2 I have are very accurate
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Black painted Jennings 22.

On a more serious note, I would have to go with the Ruger GP-100.
  • Options
    swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    underrated? almost all of them. when every American is issued a firearm and taught to shoot straight and shoot safe at the age of 8, i will select some more specific guns. I should have plenty of time to try a whole bunch more before then... [:D]

overrated is easier. AR-15's (a grand for even the crappiest ones? you're out of your mind) and anything with a thumbhole or folding stock.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swopjan
    underrated? almost all of them. when every American is issued a firearm and taught to shoot straight and shoot safe at the age of 8, i will select some more specific guns. I should have plenty of time to try a whole bunch more before then... [:D]

overrated is easier. AR-15's (a grand for even the crappiest ones? you're out of your mind) and anything with a thumbhole or folding stock.

Really? I put mine together for $600. It is very accurate and reliable. How can that be overrated? You can buy them, already assembled, for just a little more.

Underrated? Anything from Marlin.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    edited November -1
    I still don't understand why the Sig 220 is not the main sidearm of our country's military and police.
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    My parents had two of them, they hunted skunks with them[;)] I loved them when I was growing up, dont know what ever happened to them.
    I also think the .22 is underrated, can be very leathl.
    quote:Originally posted by coltpax

• Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    I still don't understand why the Sig 220 is not the main sidearm of our country's military and police.
    If we weren't clinging to NATO handgun caliber guidelines it probably would be.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    I think most old age utility guns fit the bill of being under reated and over looked.

Things that say Sears and Robuck or Western Field some real jems among them.

I couldn't pick a single firearm, but mossberg 22's hold the line of under appreciated by those who don't know them. They sold cheap and many of them exist today in poor condition but all were built to target specs.
  • Options
    7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that .22LR in general is under rated.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7.62x39Lover
    I agree that .22LR in general is under rated.

+1. with a .22 and enough skill, you can go from shooting rabbits to shooting deer. It may be illegal, but completely possible.
  • Options
    mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe the SKS is under rated as well. I mean, its basically a semi 30-30. There are many bad examples out there from abuse and neglect, by my norinco is hunting accurate. About 2" groups at 100 yards using wolf hollow point from prone.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan Wesson revolvers, back in the day late 70's early 80's few people wanted them. Colt, Smith& Wesson and Ruger were the only guns to buy.
    Not me I always had a few of them lying around and still do. Now that their not made any more every one wants them. Here's my matched set.

[img][/img]MVC-DWASET.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Armilite, Dan wessons are expensive! I like them though, I want a stainless .44 pistol pack myself, but that's some big money right there.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Mossberg 22s from the 40s and 50s.
    2. Savage/Stevens/Springfield 22s.
    3. Mossberg bolt action shotguns

All were looked down on as "utility grade" guns. You can find all of them used in good shape for under $100 (altho some of the scarcer Mossy 22s are getting pricy) All 3 of the above were accurate, durable, reliable, inexpensive- and were the guns of the working man, and of the first time gun owner.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:coltpax
    Advanced Member

USA
    5726 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 : 2:42:35 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
    Armilite, Dan wessons are expensive! I like them though, I want a stainless .44 pistol pack myself, but that's some big money right there.

Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms....Who's bringing the chips?

Back in the day they weren't that expensive. They were priced less then comparable Colt's and Smiths. How ever the Colt & Smith & Wesson mentality were pounded in every ones head that those were the guns to buy. Had they sold more of them there may have been a different out come. People are only realizing in the last few years of how good those guns actually were and with their popularity rising have driven the prices up substantially. Many people missed the boat on this one. Back when I had my FFL I sold a ton of these.
  • Options
    mjbmxzmjbmxz Member Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlin's! I do need more of them too.