In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bug out kit hardware

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in General Discussion
First off, let me be clear: bugging out is stupid. However, I can conceive of instances where it might be the least bad option available.

To that end, let me offer my humble suggestions as to the solid state analog devices you'll need for your travels:

Rifle: Choices here are plentiful, but all else being equal, I'd take the AK47. Your hunting rifles are powerful and accurate, but lack rapid fire ability, are slow to reload, are typically heavy and your particular choice might be in a relatively rare chambering. The AK has none of these drawbacks. In addition, it is relatively lightweight, handy, and powerful enough for social use. The other choices (AR clones, full size 308 battle rifles, surplus bolt actions, shotguns) have one or more of the drawbacks explored above, with the exception of AR in 223. Although 223 is widely available, the extra punch of a 30 caliber round is definitely worth the trade offs.

Handgun: Glocks, 1911s, Springfields, S&Ws, Berettas, the list of autoloading pistols is long and distinguished. Again, I break with the pack and nominate the humble 357 revolver. Reliable, powerful, accurate, and simple, it has the added benefit of being able to use 38 special ammo, thus doubling (or better) your resupply ability on the road. What it lacks in capacity, it makes up for with its stopping power and proven track record as a man stopper. It's your backup gun anyway, as most of any fighting or shooting will be done with your long gun.

Tools: 2-3 strong knives, crowbar, sturdy hatchet, multitools, small binocs, flashlight, batteries

Clothing: gloves, cold/severe weather jacket, cool-warm weather socks and footwear, sunglasses, head protection, scarf, sleeping bag/pad

Miscellaneous: matches/lighters, lightsticks, first aid kit, duct tape, superglue

Comments

• Options
    barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
    edited November -1
    I really had not given the bug out thing a second thought until a few weeks ago. I've started one just to keep in my vehical in case of some kind of emergency so I don't know if it really is a bug out bag or not but I guess it would serve that purpose if needed.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    I think a semi-auto 22 is a great thing to include since you can carry a large amount of ammo with a relatively small weight.

But of course, a lot depends on where you are bugging out to, how long you'll be out, what your surroundings and needs are, as well as a lot of other factors.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    thank goodness the wife is stout,,she will be able to carry that and extra underwear for me
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bug out is what my exterminator does to my basement, where I would bug out to
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give me a Ruger 1022 with an 18" GM SS Fluted/Fire Sight barrel. Scope would be a 2.5-8 VXIII paralex set at 60 QR rings. Knife would be a Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter. Handgun would be Glock or FN .45 flavor.
    Bag would contain all the good fantasy Bug Out Items.
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your weapons logic is well thought out. As with all response gear, the choices are many and dictated by conditions, availability, ability to hump all the stuff we think we need (many get crossed off that list after that first long walk on the woods) as well as personal needs-meds, etc. I carry a semi auto daily but always have a .357 in my response bag. Having had the pleasure of being hit with a 9mm and a .357 (separate incidents) I can personally attest to the superior effectiveness of the latter. (They both hurt like he** though!)
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:bugging out is stupid.

absolutely !!

end of discussion !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale

absolutely !!

end of discussion !!

How about if your hide has been compromised with tear gas and zombies?
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale

absolutely !!

end of discussion !!

How about if your hide has been compromised with tear gas and zombies?

laff my * off !! [:D] [;)]
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...ah those pesky zombies!!
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I raise the question of "holding the fort" versus guerrilla warfare over the many years. We won the Revolutionary War based on non-conventional fighting methods (aka guerrilla warfare). We won WWII based on continued movement forward, not just holding the fort. We tried to "hold the fort" in Vietnam but had more luck applying our own guerrilla tactics.

How many people live in a rock, brick or log home? Bullets go right through the stucco or drywall houses so those places are not really very "safe". Who lives in the city versus living in a rural area? Location, location location as they say in real estate.

So, bugging out IMHO may not be such a dumb option. Even the best laid plans for war changed with the first shot. Each will have to weigh the options, the demands, the problems to overcome and of course the hazards of each option.

COB
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always thought that if you were to bug-out ... you needed a place to bug-out to ... and that place should already be fairly well stocked.

Otherwise you are just one of the people in the masses out wandering around with stuff but wondering where to go now.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Only way I'm bugging out is if I got a backpack full of gold. Gold will be the standard, cash will be worthless. Being that I have no gold I would definitely need to Bug Out if I had a backpack full of it.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good reason for the bag is likely not to 'Bug Out'. but to bug in.

I have a bag in each of the rigs that will offer supplies and 'necessities' to enable my family to get back home if they are not here when the Zombie Apocalypse commences.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I'm currenty testing a solar charged flashlight that was given to me. I like the idea as it eliminates the need to carry extra batteries. The downside is once it is dead it is not servicable until it recharges. I am also starting to salvage solar yard/garden lights. Stripped down to just the solar panel,battery and LED one or two can easily be slipped into or attached to a pack and used for emergecy lighting if needed.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    survival-kit-dr-strangelove-part-1-demotivational-poster-1268243110.jpg

[;)][^][:D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    I prefer a headlamp to a regular flashlight, but can not disagree with the rest of your list.

I might also be inclined to substitute an SKS for that AK. Stripper clips are lighter than mags and far less bulky. And the SKS has better accuracy than the AK.

Another personal preference is for 44mag over 357 but it's almost a toss up.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain