In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Build an AR with a printer?

djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
It seems that this man used a 3D printer to make an AR lower out of plastic.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/30/3d_printed_assault_rifle/

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some reporters' ignorance is amazing.

"Where this all gets interesting is in the potential legal ramifications of what Have Blue has done. It is legal in most US states to purchase AR-15 style rifles, provided the purchaser is licensed, which involves a background check."

I've never had a license to purchase a firearm.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seen that printer on "Jurassic Park" where dude makes a Raptor call.
  • Options
    swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    "should give regulators some pause."

Damn right they should pause. Stop regulating an un-infringeable right [:(!]

Pretty neat in my opinion.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

"Where this all gets interesting is in the potential legal ramifications of what Have Blue has done. It is legal in most US states to purchase AR-15 style rifles, provided the purchaser is licensed, which involves a background check."

Sure you have... its kept under glass in the national archives...
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

while its inaccurate for you, its totally accurate for me andresidents of other states too; so whos more right?

well, to answer that we'd have to examine the gun laws of every state and see which side(license or no license) has more. maybe someday, but thats too much work for me right now so i'll just say that he's as much right as he is wrong so your complaint is more or less invalid as it pertains to this article. i'll agree with you that reporters nearly always get it wrong though.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    wow what an informed author, guess he forgot you can legally build yourself a firearm, even from a printer

and nice to have thrown in the last part about the Colorado shooter for added drama
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [}:)]I wonder if the same plastic used to make a Glock 17 could be (or is by Glock) used in the printer to make a Glock 17?[}:)]
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    I think those printers use ABS. I wouldn't really want to fire a gun made from one.
  • Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just learned the lowers on AR-15s are made of stamped aluminum. Learn something new every day.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the UK you have to be licensed to own guns. Sounds like what's slowly happening here. [V]
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RustyBones
    I think those printers use ABS. I wouldn't really want to fire a gun made from one.

he did without negative effects....

the lower on an ar is under very little stress. its principal function is to hold all of the parts in proper alignment. it doesnt need to be super strong from a casual shooting standpoint.

now, i would want to take an abs lower into combat or leave it to rattle around in a vehicle mount, or really try to test its limits in any way; but im not afraid to be the second person to shoot one made on a 3d printer.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    If I had one to 3d scan or if I just had a CAD model of one, I could print one out of metal.[:I]

edit: never mind, I see he has one linked! I'm in business!![:p]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain