In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Skeet/Trap/Sporting Clays

PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
My buddy is convinced that a 20" double barrel side by side 12 ga is the best shotgun for skeet/trap/Sporting Clays. I told him that my Stoeger stagecoach gun is not suited for speed with the two triggers.

Maybe I'm wrong because I can't shoot them that way. What does everyone else say? Can you recommend a quality sporting shotgun for my friend? He won't listen to me.

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Ask him to accompany you to any Trap, Skeet or SC range and count the number of double barrels he sees,,,,,[;)]

I shoot a 'Ljutic' for trap and a Browning GTI for skeet and SC,,,,,
    he'll see plenty of doubles! just not short barreled doubles!
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was forced to use one of those little coach guns at a Sporting Clays event this summer. (We were provided firearms at every stage, everyone shot the same thing.) I can tell you hands down what I do not want for home defense (or any other application) and that is one of those little sxs. I could not hit squat with them (nor could anyone one our team.)

That said I have an older Stoeger Condor O/U in 12GA that I do shoot clays with on a regular basis, I wish I had the 30" compensated barrels on the Competition Model instead of the 28", but it is what it is.
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a CZ 12 ga O/U 28" barrels with extractors on trap, IC choke

On skeet I use any 12 ga with 26" barrels open cylinder choke.

Sporting Clays....I use my grandpa's Remington model 11 with full choke, and I hit the rabbit shots all the time[:)] I always use a field gun on sporting clays.

Coming with a 20" coach gun on a trap or skeet field will get the fish eye stares[xx(]
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always say its the gun not the shooter- but this is just absurd to say the coach gun platform is "the best"' at well, anything.
  • Options
    swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    I was forced to use one of those little coach guns at a Sporting Clays event this summer. (We were provided firearms at every stage, everyone shot the same thing.) I can tell you hands down what I do not want for home defense (or any other application) and that is one of those little sxs. I could not hit squat with them (nor could anyone one our team.)

That said I have an older Stoeger Condor O/U in 12GA that I do shoot clays with on a regular basis, I wish I had the 30" compensated barrels on the Competition Model instead of the 28", but it is what it is.

Captain! Your stars are green! Are you sick!? [xx(]
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BTDT
    The reason for longer barrels at shotgun games is simple, swing momentum.
    The coach length will start swinging fast, but, it stops just as fast IE: between the brain saying now and the finger responding the gun will stop moving.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i bought a browning 12ga 2-3/4 upland special citori with 24" barrels for birds over dogs, at the patteren board it shot very flat. i tried a round of trap and after shooting at a few birds to see where to hold i shot a 23-25. i will try a few rounds of sporting clays and five stand to get used to the short barrels before hunting season. its quite light compared to my other over-under shotguns in 12ga. according to garp.
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a hammer gun and my wife shoots a $800 CZ double for clays; we do just fine.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a Ruger Red Label over/under for sporting clays. To each his own. What ever your friend feels comfortable with, he should shoot.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    Don't most shoot over/under in those shoots, as opposed to sxs? 20" seems pretty short to me.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain