In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AUCTION DISCUSSIONS CLARIFICATION

Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
Although auction issues pertaining to complaints, billing or tech support are not to be discussed in the forums as prescribed by the Posting Guidelines http://forums.gunbroker.com/PostingGuidelines.asp, there are certain auction topics which are allowable. Please read the text below from CaptFun, GB Administration, for clarification of acceptable auction issues. However, please use discretion and common sense when doing so in order to maintain this privilege for the benefit of all concerned.

"We sell upward of 3000 items a day here and I'm not going to pretend that every one of them goes perfectly. The feedback system is there to let both sides have a say and to weed out the "bad apples". Questions and discussions from newer users about listings and protocols are not off limits. Newer users asking for guidance from more experienced buyers/sellers is fine. If it really is a support issue, take it over to the auction side and open a support issue, but asking simple questions about how to do something or for others opinions on an actual situation is certainly apropos for "General Discussion"

Posted - 09/30/2010: CaptFun, Administrator 5:47:45 PM
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=478111

Comments

• Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    Awesome. Another sticky no one is going to read.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    Awesome. Another sticky no one is going to read.....

You did. [:D]
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    Actually I didn't read a word of it. Just popped in to record my disparaging remarks..
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Although auction issues pertaining to complaints, billing or tech support are not to be discussed in the forums as prescribed by the Posting Guidelines http://forums.gunbroker.com/PostingGuidelines.asp, there are certain auction topics which are allowable. Please read the text below from CaptFun, GB Administration, for clarification of acceptable auction issues. However, please use discretion and common sense when doing so in order to maintain this privilege for the benefit of all concerned.

"We sell upward of 3000 items a day here and I'm not going to pretend that every one of them goes perfectly. The feedback system is there to let both sides have a say and to weed out the "bad apples". Questions and discussions from newer users about listings and protocols are not off limits. Newer users asking for guidance from more experienced buyers/sellers is fine. If it really is a support issue, take it over to the auction side and open a support issue, but asking simple questions about how to do something or for others opinions on an actual situation is certainly apropos for "General Discussion"

Key words in bold and underlined above...please think about what you are posting before it's posted. Anything that may reflect negatively on GB will be deleted.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Need to know:

Will warning the forum about a questionable product, or a questionable vendor be off limits?

Yes, feedback is the best way. But it's after the fact.

"Fellas, XYZ product for sale on the auctions..I've had three of them, and they all broke soon after purchase. Use caution!"

"Fellas, I bought several items from seller XYZ over at {elsewhere}, and the vendor never delivered the goods! Use Caution!

You get the idea. Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    Need to know:

Will warning the forum about a questionable product, or a questionable vendor be off limits?

Yes, feedback is the best way. But it's after the fact.

"Fellas, XYZ product for sale on the auctions..I've had three of them, and they all broke soon after purchase. Use caution!"

"Fellas, I bought several items from seller XYZ over at {elsewhere}, and the vendor never delivered the goods! Use Caution!

You get the idea. Joe

Joe, I would recommend against posting a thread criticizing a specific seller such as you mentioned. Although someone may have had one bad experience with a seller, there may have been hundreds of buyers who were well pleased with the same seller. It may be a case of a damaged gun that was actually the fault of the buyer or his receiving FFL and he's trying to pressure the seller into buying it back. It might also be a case of "buyer's remorse" where a buyer found the item cheaper after they bought it on the auction side and the seller wouldn't refund the difference or the item altogether. There are two sides to every coin and it wouldn't be fair to allow just one side to be posted.

Again, I'd have to say no to your scenario.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Thanks for coming back to my 'scenario' in a timely fashion, Spider.

And not to worry 'bout lil' ol' me. I'll be good. Joe
  • Options
    SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did not read this.
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just want to say that those folks who handle support issues do a fantastic job. I've had a few issues in my days, and those issues were handled very professionally and quickly.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

Key words in bold and underlined above...please think about what you are posting before it's posted. Anything that may reflect negatively on GB will be deleted.

Thank you! I always believed that newbies should be able to ask quesions about how to list an item or a photo, or what the proper protocal would be for an auction.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,346 ******
    edited November -1

why not just have a forum specifically for auction help?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    RWLRWL Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, you say the feedback system "weeds out the bad apples" and lets everyone have their say, but really, if you know the system you can wait out the 90 days before lockup are almost over, post a load of hideous rubbish about somebody, and chances are, if you're a casual buyer or seller who doesn't check in every minute of every day, the offending party can say anything they want about you, the clock runs out and by the time you notice what's gone on here, and in the end, you are without any chance of rebuttal.

While the Feedback guidelines specifically state that personal vendettas or harsh and unreasonable commentaries are particularly prohibited, and likewise, that Gunbroker.com prohibits any systematic attempt to co-fake mutual positive feedback, and again, that efforts of one party to extort or coax the other into giving false good feedback are serious infractions and abuses of the system, these practices in truth seem to be pretty standard parts of the program here. I doubt anyone has ever been disciplined for leaving inflammatory feedback of any sort however obviously personal, unreasonable or valid--particularly if left by a major seller. And in fact, the one holy cow nobody can complain about to management is anything to do with the feedback system.

Ebay for instance, a year or so back just dropped seller input to their feedback program and 90% of the coerced positive feedback vanished because the fact is, the money is always right and previous Ebay regimes had surrendered the integrity of the Feedback system almost entirely to Power Sellers (which I was briefly) who routinely threatened buyers with negative feedback if they didn't first post positive feedback about the transaction--then of course promising to work things out under the table as far as any complaints went.

I've read another couple of forums in which they complained about Gunbroker.com and they left me with a lot of negative input concerning this and other issues about non-support from management especially in light of the generally nebulous nature of sending off money to the great big ether and hoping a gun comes back in return, and vice-versa. To be fair though, I've only had one negative experience here, it concerned the purchase of a 6 buck sight spring and five bucks worth of postage I reluctantly paid on the assertion that it would be here in two or three days. It ended up a bit of a 30-40 day hangup and a PayPal (yes they're evil I know) dispute and it all worked out in the end, which I posted in my feedback along with a B rating for the hassle. At first the seller made an impassioned defense within reason, to which I made a reasonable rebuttal. That was four months ago, and for four months this guy has repeatedly emailed me threatening to sue me, to get me kicked off here, claimed I was breaking federal laws, then bargained a trade for better feedback, and then, as I alluded to, at the end of the 90 days rewrote his original feedback, dropped the grade to an F, called me a scam artists etc, and after the deadline expired emailed me yet again inviting me to delete my B grade and comments because now that's all the power I had, and in exchange he'd remove his F rating and the libelous fairy tale he'd rewritten into his feedback comments, in which even suggested I was kicked off of Gunbroker.com and apparently Ebay as well. In fact, he just wrote me again, having surfed Google on me, made fun of my hobbies and lifestyle, and had a good gloat that since I hadn't complied with his demands, he was happy to leave his F rating and nasty commentary, and told me just where to stick it.

Now, I don't care if this idiot wants to leave asinine feedback, I don't make a living here. He was paid immediately, he was 30 days late in getting a dime-sized part to me for five bucks, and if he thinks giving him a B rating makes me a fraud and scam artist, that just says more about him than me. I didn't change my feedback to match his stupidity, though I should have for all his whining and threatening. As I told him, take the hit and move on. But if you think this feedback system insures any sort of dependable indication of who's honest and reliable and who isn't, you're deliberately naive. If you think Gunbroker.com is going to do anything about this guy who makes his living here for beating up on one casual buyer, you're just crazy. That's exactly why he knows he can get away with anything he wants to pull on me in these private emails, and feels so enraged over a B rating. He expects, no demands an A+. That's what everyone gives. He openly admits by email and in his original feedback that he screwed the order up and even then expects perfect feedback from me now, because he apologized and because I eventually got the item I paid for. The reason for this sort of arrogance is that the Feedback system is fatally flawed. It's full of holes, and like Ebay used to be, everyone is forced to play the game with sellers like this or be the only one who gets crapped on in the process if you don't give everyone an A+.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Here's one I am wondering about -

"Shameless Plugs" in the General Discussion area advertising a user's auctions? Are these acceptable? They wouldn't seem to be, and I while really don't mind them I wouldn't want to do it myself without being sure.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,346 ******
    edited November -1
    stickied again![:D]
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain