In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Did you know Myth Busters are wrong sometimes?

Jim88Jim88 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited June 2012 in General Discussion
Anyone who saw the episode that contained a story about TRACER bullets and knows firearms/ammo, would have laughed their AO. These bozos actually said on the show that a bullet will trace, BECAUSE of the painted tip. They said the bullet acceleration through the air resistance, makes the paint on the tip heat up and burn, hence trace.

NOPE! They never mentioned anything about the reality that the tracer compound impregnated in a cavity in the base of the projectile burns after leaving the muzzle and makes the trace effect. I knew this as a teenager. LOL

Sort of makes you wonder what other stories they lied about...

Comments

• Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim88
    Anyone who saw the episode that contained a story about TRACER bullets and knows firearms/ammo, would have laughed their AO. These bozos actually said on the show that a bullet will trace, BECAUSE of the painted tip. They said the bullet acceleration through the air resistance, makes the paint on the tip heat up and burn, hence trace.

NOPE! They never mentioned anything about the reality that the tracer compound impregnated in a cavity in the base of the projectile burns after leaving the muzzle and makes the trace effect. I knew this as a teenager. LOL

Did they actually lie, or were they just misinformed?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sav99

Did they actually lie, or were they just misinformed?

Well, think of it this way... They purport to be "experts" and supposedly research and perform as professionals for a broadcast TV show that is supposed to bust myths. What do you think?
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    There goes their credibility.

Lie to me one time and I will forever doubt what you present as fact.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you know Myth Busters are wrong sometimes?

Yes I did know. [:0] [B)] [;)]
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My question is what was the myth they felt they were busting? Did they believe that the portion of the bullet's base was the part that actually burned was the myth?

And yes, I have seen several episodes where their logic and explanation completely left the tracks of common sense and reality.
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    I think we need to have a reality show about the GB forum. Let the experts here amaze people.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it wouldn't be long before the BS over took the show like all the others. :(
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    My question is what was the myth they felt they were busting? Did they believe that the portion of the bullet's base was the part that actually burned was the myth?

And yes, I have seen several episodes where their logic and explanation completely left the tracks of common sense and reality.

The Myth was the phony explaination they gave on how tracers work. The paint on the tip is only for identification. It has nothing to do with the function of the round. I believe it was in the episode called "car capers" with the exploding gas tank. Not 100% sure though.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    "Sort of makes you wonder what other stories they lied about..."

Not having a clue and lying are 2 totally different things..[B)]
  • Options
    cmancman Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i quit watching it when they booked our community organizer for a show
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41

I wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt. Look at how the alphabet news for example creates false news and masks reality with smoke and lies. IE: CBS, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, TIME, NEWSWEEK, THE NYT, WASHINGTON POST, ETC. They wanted to know GWB's brand of soda and Romney's last 10 years of records. YET 0bama gets a free pass of UNKNOWN. Come on...
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41

I wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt. Look at how the alphabet news for example creates false news and masks reality with smoke and lies. IE: CBS, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, TIME, NEWSWEEK, THE NYT, WASHINGTON POST, ETC. They wanted to know GWB's brand of soda and Romney's last 10 years of records. YET 0bama gets a free pass of UNKNOWN. Come on...

Ahhh,
    Got it.

You're saying that the Mythbuster's lies are Obama's fault?

Clearly, you're onto something. They're based in CA. Pinkos.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes they are wrong sometimes, but i give kuddo's to them for not being anti-gun liberals, and often using firearms in their show {and kari byron}

there is much more misinformation in the press daily
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Their ignorance of firearms and even of some of the basic physics regarding explosives usually shows through clearly. [:0] [:(] [B)]
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,034 ******
    edited November -1

mythbusters_busted_spray.png
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,034 ******
    edited November -1
    Who sent you ????
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like popular mechanics on 9/11 to me.
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the enlightenment.
    You keep fact-checking and we'll keep watching for the entertainment.
    Kari_B4.jpg
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Mythbusters never made any clain that they were experts in any field - hence they're merely "civilians" trying out myths in a showform, which is made out to be viewerfriendly.

Many of us might have tested a given myth in another way - but lets face it, it might not be quite as intesting.

I take MythBusters for a good show, while they're seemingly having a good time while doing so.

Are they wrong sometimes.?

Offcourse - but YOU try to explain/show just 3 myths or even subjects within any given area - can YOU keep all facts straight.?!?

I doubt it.!
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the "shows" are great! Some not! Its a "show"....[:o)]
  • Options
    SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK guys, "It's Television"

BTW, auction hunters , storage wars, Am. pickers, any pawn show, and even antiques roadshow are "seeded" with good stuff.