In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bigfeets....I Guess They Do Exist!

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
edited December 2012 in General Discussion
BIGFOOT' DNA SEQUENCED IN UPCOMING GENETICS STUDY

Five-Year Genome Study Yields Evidence of same sapiens/Unknown Hominin Hybrid Species in North America

DALLAS, Nov. 24--A team of scientists can verify that their 5-year long DNA study, currently under peer-review, confirms the existence of a novel hominin hybrid species, commonly called "Bigfoot" or "Sasquatch," living in North America. Researchers' extensive DNA sequencing suggests that the legendary Sasquatch is a human relative that arose approximately 15,000 years ago as a hybrid cross of modern same sapiens with an unknown primate species.

The study was conducted by a team of experts in genetics, forensics, imaging and pathology, led by Dr. Melba S. Ketchum of Nacogdoches, TX. In response to recent interest in the study, Dr. Ketchum can confirm that her team has sequenced 3 complete Sasquatch nuclear genomes and determined the species is a human hybrid:

"Our study has sequenced 20 whole mitochondrial genomes and utilized next generation sequencing to obtain 3 whole nuclear genomes from purported Sasquatch samples. The genome sequencing shows that Sasquatch mtDNA is identical to modern same sapiens, but Sasquatch nuDNA is a novel, unknown hominin related to same sapiens and other primate species. Our data indicate that the North American Sasquatch is a hybrid species, the result of males of an unknown hominin species crossing with female same sapiens.

Hominins are members of the taxonomic grouping Hominini, which includes all members of the genus same. Genetic testing has already ruled out same neanderthalis and the Denisova hominin as contributors to Sasquatch mtDNA or nuDNA. "The male progenitor that contributed the unknown sequence to this hybrid is unique as its DNA is more distantly removed from humans than other recently discovered hominins like the Denisovan individual," explains Ketchum.

"Sasquatch nuclear DNA is incredibly novel and not at all what we had expected. While it has human nuclear DNA within its genome, there are also distinctly non-human, non-archaic hominin, and non-ape sequences. We describe it as a mosaic of human and novel non-human sequence. Further study is needed and is ongoing to better characterize and understand Sasquatch nuclear DNA."

Ketchum is a veterinarian whose professional experience includes 27 years of research in genetics, including forensics. Early in her career she also practiced veterinary medicine, and she has previously been published as a participant in mapping the equine genome. She began testing the DNA of purported Sasquatch hair samples 5 years ago.

Ketchum calls on public officials and law enforcement to immediately recognize the Sasquatch as an indigenous people:

"Genetically, the Sasquatch are a human hybrid with unambiguously modern human maternal ancestry. Government at all levels must recognize them as an indigenous people and immediately protect their human and Constitutional rights against those who would see in their physical and cultural differences a `license' to hunt, trap, or kill them."

Full details of the study will be presented in the near future when the study manuscript publishes.

###

Dr. Ketchum is available for interview or to answer further questions about the Sasquatch genome study and associated research on novel contemporary hominins at mediadnadiagnostics.com

c Copyright 2012 DNA Diagnostics

Comments

• Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess you ran into Shaquille O'Neal.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    I guess you ran into Shaquille O'Neal.
    LOL!!! [:D]
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I have a hard time believing it but it sure look like they have proof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcV_yFpHMeE
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told DNA was nothing special. We all are related.
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say bull! Bull, bull bull!
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Her research is tainted. The samples came from Michigan? Id be more than doubtful. She wont let her research be reviewed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    Her research is tainted. The samples came from Michigan? Id be more than doubtful. She wont let her research be reviewed.

Same as taking samples off a used NBA court.
  • Options
    CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll wait for the peer review.

Evidential sustainability.

Epistemic validity.

She stated "we've been able to absolutely prove that"...

To Prove means literally, 'to put to the test'. To test. That is all.

[Think of Ford Motor Company's "PROVING GROUNDS".] It's where they test vehicles for viability and reliability.

There is as yet no scientific predictability, repeatability, peer testing -not to mention consensus on any level- , or epistemic validation to any degree.

Unless it's predictable, repeatable, and testable by experimentation and/or observation, it's not even a theory. It remains a hypothesis. And a failed hypothesis at that.

Try again.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the Onion.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,065 ******
    edited November -1
    ...dam straight they exist,,
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    "Genetically, the Sasquatch are a human hybrid with unambiguously modern human maternal ancestry. Government at all levels must recognize them as an indigenous people and immediately protect their human and Constitutional rights against those who would see in their physical and cultural differences a `license' to hunt, trap, or kill them."

Don't worry your pretty little head, Dr. Ketchum. Ya can't kill what ya can't see.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they existed the Gov would be taxing them or supporting them with welfare.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I'll ask the obvious question....

Where did she obtain samples that she knows for a fact came from a Bigfoot and that she can guarantee weren't contaminated in any way?

Odd that she fails to address this in her press release.
  • Options
    JohnTJohnT Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting, though not yet definitive.

My 2% of a buck.

I'm not convinced that the hominid exists...nor am I convinced that it doesn't. I'm open to the strong suggestion that there's something that is decidedly different or "other" lurking around in the deep woods.

There have a been a lot of sightings of this thing for too many years...centuries even...and by clearly sane and reputable people. Some of them have probably seen bears, I'm sure, while others have likely been overactive imaginations...but statistically, it's not possible that all of them have been cases of mistaken identity or seeing things in the shadows that aren't really there. The "Smoke/Fire" analogy.

The bottom line is that we don't know until we know. After all, it was general knowledge that the Coelacanth had been extinct for over 50 million years...until one made an appearance and rocked the science community.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    I wish there was such a creature, But...

Given the fact that no such creature has actually been identified back into prehistory and given that a fair number of such creatures have to exist to make the population viable, my doubts override my hopes.

Population requirements aside there are other considerations needing to be addressed. Even if I remain open to the idea of Bigfoot, then I have to point out that hominids in the human family do not mature quickly. Usually a matter of several years at minimum and often much longer. This is a huge problem as youngsters are difficult to raise and secrecy over a period of years would be difficult if not entirely out of the question.

Then the matter of climate. Hominids do not hibernate nor do they have that capacity as far as I'm aware. Thus, how would a large hominid survive undetected in snow country? And even if hibernation was possible it seems unlikely a den wouldn't have been discovered somewhere down through thousands of years.

How about our human population and technology? If we were to leave every other thing aside, let's consider trail cams. I find it unbelievable that with the millions of cams out there that Bigfoot has avoided every single one.

Then the hybrid theory. Cross a horse and a donkey and come up with a mule. And mules are sterile as are almost all such crosses. Even our closest genetic cousins in the ape family are too different to produce even a hybrid. And now someone tells us a viable population of hybrid humans existing among us for 15,000 years and not a single verified example? Now that's a good story!

So for the moment I'll call BS. The Onion has again struck.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,185 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod

Dr. Ketchum is available for interview or to answer further questions about the Sasquatch genome study and associated research on novel contemporary hominins at mediadnadiagnostics.com

c Copyright 2012 DNA Diagnostics

Damn right she's available
    for the right price $$$$ and for her 10 minutes of fame [:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited November -1
    The real question is human hybridized with what?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I saw some documentary on bigfoot one time that made more sense to me than anything else I had ever seen.

There was a panel of 'experts' with 10 degrees explaining their thoughts about these sightings.

One guy said something I had never thought of before.
    IIRC, his theory was that these 'creatures' were simply human beings with odd genetic mutations that went wild per se.

Basically they lived in the woods, never bathed and had a lot of body hair. They would try and protect their turf by throwing rocks and jumping around screaming and grunting.

Kind of made sense to me.
    Imagine some freakish looking human, probably wearing a bear skin or the like for warmth, with very long hair, and beard.

What would you think if you saw something like that from a distance tossing stones at you while screaming like a madman.

Made more sense than the other things I have heard.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

That's a long way from proof.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK

That's a long way from proof.

This genius will change your mind James.[;)]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DplHtoEz7kY
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,041 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    big_foot_print1.jpg
    Now that is a BIG FOOT print.[:D][;)]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    This genius will change your mind James.[;)]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DplHtoEz7kY

Yep, that little girl erased all question from my mind. [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That people even imagine Bigfoot exists boggles the mind.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Monkey ,,,,Football Rings a Bell[;)]quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    The real question is human hybridized with what?
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I heard there was one in the White House, why is everybody still searching in the woods?
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Show me a pile of Big feets poop and I'll consider it.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Show me a pile of Big feets poop and I'll consider it.

Bigfoot poop
    can-stock-photo_csp6304625.jpg
  • Options
    SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Patterson had it right, and made money at it.[:D]