In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

UPS screw-up!!

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Or maybe it's just me.
I sold some ammo on the auction side and shipped it by air.
paid the appropriate fees (online) and put a couple ORM-D stickers on it.
everything just like i've done in the past.
today the box comes back to me with a "Hazmat Reject" sticker across the top and a 8x11 form in a plastic window.
the form has everything checked off as correct except it says the box has to have an "ORM-D AIR" sticker on it.
the stupid basturds drove it 6 hours to Kansas City airport, then drove it back here because it had the wrong sticker on it!
wouldn't it had been alot smarter to just slap an ORM-D AIR sticker on it and send it along?
this is the first time I've had problems with UPS, how bout you?
tom

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    take a majic marker and write " air " in on the sticker.[;)]
  • carrie2carrie2 Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The clerks probably cant read their on rules,never heard of this before,in fact the tracker at 9 this morning said is will be deleivered today,I checked after your email, it said returned to sender! I haven't seen an orm-d air sticker,we might as well get use to these things,its not going to be any better in the future!! I will have to wait until next week to "shoot" up the woods[8D]
    Kentucky born and raised!
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always been told when I declare an ammo shipment at UPS it has to go by GROUND...I may have to have another ammo giveaway to have a reason to go there and ask[;)]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ammo goes UPS GROUND ONLY. Is considered a hazardous material and is not to be shipped by air. HAZMAT CHARGES don't kick in until 66 lbs per shipment, but is not supposed to be on a plane.
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Ammo goes UPS GROUND ONLY. Is considered a hazardous material and is not to be shipped by air. HAZMAT CHARGES don't kick in until 66 lbs per shipment, but is not supposed to be on a plane.
    +1
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    UPS= ooops [:o)]
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I've had problems with UPS on each of the last several occasions that I've tried to ship with them. The corker wasn't really a problem for me, but may have been a self-made one for UPS. I had to send a handgun by air, under UPS rules, to a guy who lives 60 miles away from me. I wondered how UPS would really handle it, thinking that they would actually send it by ground. But the recipient told me they flew the gun 300 miles, and then trucked it back 240 miles, to deliver it.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    The rules on shipping ammo seem to have changed, or maybe they just vary by shipper. I ordered 1,000 rounds of .30 M1 Ball on Garand clips from the CMP at Camp Perry, and they flew the whole pile via FedX.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Ammo goes UPS GROUND ONLY

No longer true.
    here's a direct quote from the checklist they sent me;
    "package marked ORM-D. needs ORM-D AIR label and shipping paper to go in the air system..." that was handwritten by an "auditor" after he checked off the previous 14 items on the list! and another signature appears next to "HMSC Rejection authorized by____"
    sorry carrie2, I'll get it back to UPS tomorrow and throw a couple pocket knives in for good measure. (don't get too excited, theyre new, but cheap[:)])
    tom
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never had any problems with UPS, in fact I prefer all my parcels came that route. I have my UPS drivers phone number and he has mine. If I'm not around to sign for a delivery, he knows what to do, and where to take it. If I have something ready to ship, I just give him a call and he stops by and picks it up. It's really handy for me.
  • carrie2carrie2 Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You dont have too apoligize for something out of your control,I thank you for the ammo,dont have to send knifes[8D]
    Kentucky born and raised!
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I use FedEx but I know they only ship ammo ground.
    edited November -1
    quote:I have never had any problems with UPS

sarge,
    I've not had any problems either, until now.
    I'm not posting this to slam them, i wanted to see if anyone else had similar problems (and you usually get some interesting stories on a thread like this![;)])
    like sarge, i know my driver by name and if i'm not home for a package he'll bring it to the office. he's even gone as far as calling the hospital and having me paged!
    so i'll continue to use ups. it just bothers me cause i know if I was the one waiting for the ammo, I'd be pretty dissappointed not getting it on time. Especially on an upcomming holiday weekend!
    anyway, off to UPS now with re-boxed box.
    hey carry, i'll email tracking # to you.
    thanks for your patience!
    tom
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, you CAN ship ammo by UPS Air- IF you have a HAZMAT shipper account. And have the shipping documents, mark package properly, have certificate of HAZMAT training, etc etc. For everyday folks, its UPS GROUND. Regulated by 49 CFR- Fed law. You are welcome to check with the HAZMAT staff at UPS- 1-800-554-9964
  • 44mag44mag Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion usp means Unreliable Poor Service. Otherwise, I refuse to ship or accept anything from them. They are the only deliverly company who penalizes their customers for the thieves that steal guns within their own co.[:(][:(][:(]
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as my normal driver is delivering great. But he had better never take vacation again.[xx(] Took almost a week to find where the replacement driver left my ammo. Left it next to my gate which is open all the time. He left it in the ditch. Which covered up in snow. Wasn't till it started to thaw that I found it.

Check out my last ammo Delivery Started in Ok.

quote:
    05/21/2009 4:45 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    PORTLAND,OR, US

05/20/2009 10:35 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

05/20/2009 5:17 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    HERMISTON,OR, US

05/20/2009 1:30 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

05/20/2009 9:40 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    COMMERCE CITY,CO, US

05/19/2009 2:55 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
    COMMERCE CITY,CO, US

05/18/2009 11:04 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    SALINA,KS, US

05/18/2009 2:26 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

05/18/2009 12:48 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    OKLAHOMA CITY,OK, US

05/18/2009 7:43 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

05/18/2009 12:19 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    AMARILLO,TX, US

05/15/2009 8:00 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    GUYMON,OK, US

05/15/2009 6:23 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

05/15/2009 5:34 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN

05/15/2009 11:20 A.M. PICKUP SCAN
    edited November -1
    quote:You are welcome to check with the HAZMAT staff at UPS- 1-800-554-9964

no need for me to check. I already knew ammo could be shipped air, because I've done it before.
    the point of this thread was that they returned a package because it was missing "AIR" on the ORM-D label. seems like a huge waste of money to me.
    tom