In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Schwarzenegger Looking to Sell LA Coliseum

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Money's tight, might be a good place for a Mosque, though. Your thoughts please.

http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/2009/05/14/schwarzenegger-looking-to-sell-la-coliseum/

Schwarzenegger Looking to Sell LA Coliseum
Posted by Keith Arnold on May 14, 2009, 12:50 p.m. EDT
With the state government looking for ways out of their self-induced budget crisis, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is looking to raise cash by selling state property.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Schwarzenegger is looking to sell properties like the San Quentin State Prison, the Orange County Fairgrounds, and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

"There are thousands of buildings and land parcels throughout California that represent billions of dollars of equity," the revised budget plan says. "California's current fiscal crisis has prompted new ways of thinking about how the state can unlock some of this value."

While I'm not sure who would want to buy a state prison, the Coliseum does have a few logic bidders, mainly the University of Southern California. After heated negotiations almost lead the Trojans to playing in the Rose Bowl, the school would be a good fit for the stadium, especially after it was willing to put $100 million of its own dollars into renovating the aging facility for improvements.

"If that were the only way to ensure the Coliseum would be improved and maintained for its current uses, for the right price the university would have to consider it," said Kristina Raspe, USC's associate senior vice president for real estate and asset management.
What's next?

Comments

• Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about selling California?
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who is gonna buy it when they already gave it back to Mexico? [xx(]
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Schwarzenegger is looking to sell properties like the San Quentin State Prison,

You know if I could get a few financial backers and a few good politicians that would fight for my idea, It would make one hell of a illegal deportation center.[:D] Herd them in, herd them out. Flights and buses leaving 24/7 like federal express.[:D]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    quote:Schwarzenegger is looking to sell properties like the San Quentin State Prison,

You know if I could get a few financial backers and a few good politicians that would fight for my idea, It would make one hell of a illegal deportation center.[:D] Herd them in, herd them out. Flights and buses leaving 24/7 like federal express.[:D]

Now that's a plan![8D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • robbie pennyrobbie penny Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem with selling these properties to ease a deficet is that they can only sell them once. There is no sustainable revenue from these sales so its a terrible short term fix (that wont even be enought anyway)
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

Now that's a plan![8D]

[:D]
    What's next?
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone should buy it and not let USC play ball in it.[}:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid
    Someone should buy it and not let USC play ball in it.[}:)]

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] Let LSU and Alabama thrill their fans, huh? [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] Or better yet, let the USC Gamecocks play their away games there. [:D]
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    11 miles to SFO airport, middle of the state, Then for maximum security issues, Death valley CA would be fitting, 24degrees at night 115 during the day. Opps sorry my bad not PC.[B)] that would fall under torture.[;)][:o)][:D]
    edited November -1
    11 miles to SFO airport, middle of the state, Then for maximum security issues, Death valley CA would be fitting, 24degrees at night 115 during the day. Opps sorry my bad not PC.[B)] that would fall under torture.[;)][:o)][:D]

[:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    [:D]Pigerts will not like this thread at all! [:D][:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    doesn't the thought of selling property like this impact anyone about the total failure of govt to operate correctly????????????????
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Hmmmmmm, indoor shootinggallery..?????
  • Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BS! It's the Northern 1/2 and their gay agenda that has put the state right in the crapper!
    Dean

quote:Originally posted by dano
    Man.....they really do need a south and north California. For the most part, the northeners have a decent head on their shoulders.

It's the nuts and fruits down south that bring it all down. [xx(]
  • Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Coliseum sucks! Have you ever been there? It really should have been destroyed and started a new 30 years ago! Why do you think the Raiders and Rams left?
    Dean
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    We'd better hope that Arnie is successful. Rep Barney Frank has introduced legislation to use federal funds (OUR MONEY) to bail California out. He feels that their economy is "too big to fail." And that "If California's economy fails the entire US economy will follow."
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Umm. Let's see - USC belongs to the state of CA. The stadium belongs to CA. That seems like a typical Governator scheme. Sell your property to yourself and get rich.

Is it any wonder CA is broke? The Governator is missing the gene that forms the frontal lobe.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    Rep Barney Frank has introduced legislation to use federal funds

Need you say more?[:D]
  • 8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by robbie penny
    The problem with selling these properties to ease a deficet is that they can only sell them once. There is no sustainable revenue from these sales so its a terrible short term fix (that wont even be enought anyway)
    Wrong! sell them and tax them, good source of revenue forever. Only problem is the only people that can afford them are Chinks and Sand monkeys.
  • robbie pennyrobbie penny Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RtWngExtrmst
    Umm. Let's see - USC belongs to the state of CA. The stadium belongs to CA. That seems like a typical Governator scheme. Sell your property to yourself and get rich.

Is it any wonder CA is broke? The Governator is missing the gene that forms the frontal lobe.

USC doesnt belong to California. Its a private university.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man.....they really do need a south and north California. For the most part, the northeners have a decent head on their shoulders.

Really ... ever heard of San Fransisco?

Or are you talking further north ... like Oregon?
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I bet CHINA would jump right on it!!!
    They should post it up on GB!![:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    I bet CHINA would jump right on it!!!
    They should post it up on GB!![:D]

Pedro Gonzalez and Cedro Sanchez would have a problem with this scenario.
    What's next?
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    SCREW THE MEX!!!
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    San Quentin State Prison would make a cool bar. Break the bar in to several different sectors "Max" for VIP, "Gen Pop" for the cheapie bar (you know beer and Wolfschmits crowd[:D]). I wonder if it could be zoned for "live" entertainment, 'cos I could have a good use of solitary or the med center. If nothing else get them drunk and lock them in like some drunken motel. It'll keep the streets safe and I will become a pillar of society[:D].
  • redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kick all the illegals out the state would be better off close the border!
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Actually it should be east and west Calif. Get much more than say 30-40 miles from the coast and there are a lot of good folk out there.

Could use I-5 as the boundry till you get down to L.A. then it would be the 15/395.
  • ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    Perhaps the Governator should sell Hollywood, kit and kaboodle, to raise cash. Maybe india would want it. Then all the movies would be scored with that really groovy Indie music. Yeah, music and dancing...I wonder if Brad Pitt can sing?

Maybe the Mormons would be interested. Just think of Hollywood under Mormon control. In ten years we'd all be crime and caffine free due to moviedom's positive moral influence. Ellen Degenerate would like men, Pelosi wouldn't be a bold faced liar, the guy at the white shirt/black tie store would be rich and we'd all spend our spare time in a choir not on a useless gun forum.

...on second thought...

[:D]
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    We'd better hope that Arnie is successful. Rep Barney Frank has introduced legislation to use federal funds (OUR MONEY) to bail California out. He feels that their economy is "too big to fail." And that "If California's economy fails the entire US economy will follow."

What a bunch of BS!
    The California state govt. has passed many assinine Liberal laws that were opposed by the states citizens, and have lead to economic failure.
    And now the REST OF US are supposed to bail them out.
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Laundry-pro said "Who is gonna buy it when they already gave it back to Mexico?"

China! They already tried to buy some of Long beach Ca and if I remember correctly they have their own ways of dealing with illegals. Example the great wall of China.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457

Actually it should be east and west Calif. Get much more than say 30-40 miles from the coast and there are a lot of good folk out there.

Could use I-5 as the boundry till you get down to L.A. then it would be the 15/395.

With just a little luck the San Andreas Fault will do the job for us.
    After a REALLY good earthquake I will have beachfront property & a good state government.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    he should sell the hurst property, san simean (sp?)
    it's currently owned by the state, so no tax revenue.
    of course it does generate alot of tourism $$.
    I'd buy it, if i could get a 300 year mortgage![;)]