In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vet kills self after being carded at movie theater

legionkahnlegionkahn Member Posts: 4,055
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
MUNCIE, Ind. - Police say a 21-year-old military veteran fatally shot himself inside a central Indiana movie theater shortly after he argued with employees over being asked to produce ID to see an R-rated film.

Muncie police say no one else was hurt at the theater, including the man's two brothers, a friend and eight others attending the horror comedy "Zombieland."
Sgt. Mike Engle told The Star Press that officers were called to the theater about 10:30 p.m. Monday, some 20 minutes into the film's run.

Engle says that witnesses said he told theater workers he had killed 18 people while in the military. Engle said the man had been drinking and that one of his companions gave him the handgun just before he shot himself in the head.[V]

Comments

• Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    p.t.s.d.?[V]

what a thing to kill himself over...poor bugger[V]
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tragic yet sadly some will still blame the gun
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Better himself than someone innocent.
  • Options
    BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    Think maybe he was screwing around with the gun in the dark and he accidentally shot himself?

Suppose it could have been suicide, but maybe not.
  • Options
    Dixie ChickDixie Chick Member Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So young!! That is so very sad!!
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    His friend knew what he needed..[xx(]...sad indeed
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    There are a few odd elements here.

The first is that I haven't seen many veterans willing to pop off a body count to total strangers after only a few minutes conversation.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Vet or not, that's a really stupid thing to kill yourself over.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is more to this than being carded to get in the movie. This kid had some serious underlying problems brought on from the war.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    In absence of detailed information I'm not going to make the leap that this was due to the argument or that it was even an intentional act.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    There is more to this than being carded to get in the movie. This kid had some serious underlying problems brought on from the war.

+1 ...looks like he had problems understanding why he could kill folks without an ID, but couldn't get in to watch a R rated film without one.

I can remember being carded (I wasn't 21 yet) when I came back...just shook my head and walked out...most of the time I didn't get carded.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    In absence of detailed information I'm not going to make the leap that this was due to the argument or that it was even an intentional act.

Had a case several years ago down in texas. Young Marine Just back from Iraq. We get the word he had Killed himself.

Had a few Marines on a Web Site who knew him. One was in his reserve Unit. It took a while, but he did not kill himself but was a victim. Someone else did kill him.

So I as always now hold my tounge till the full story comes out. Cause I was not there.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not call the idiots he was with "friends", if they cared about him they would not have provided him a gun in his condition. They should all be locked up!
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why did the friend give the gun to him???
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    No, you need to blame the "friend" who gave a pistol to a drunken angry man. This idiot needs to be penalized for his actions
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    I'm not buying all his war trauma BS. [V]

I think, maybe, that you have never watched your Buddies killed.

Doug
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wipala
    No, you need to blame the "friend" who gave a pistol to a drunken angry man. This idiot needs to be penalized for his actions

That's a slippery slope. Imagine, a close friend of yours grabs your ccw and shoots himself. Should you now be held responsible for his actions?
  • Options
    cactuspete1cactuspete1 Member Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh Yes! PTSD, [xx(], millions of men have seen war and watched their friends die and then moved on with their lives without any excuses.
  • Options
    JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friend? With friends like that who needs enemys.
  • Options
    ikedaikeda Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    I'm not buying all his war trauma BS. [V]

Then you sir are an uneducated idiot. PTSD is a very real problem.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Then you sir are an uneducated idiot. PTSD is a very real problem.

1. Calling names is not allowed. Stop it or be gone.

2. I don't know whether PTSD is a real deal or not. My son, who served in Iraq, and who survived 43 IED incidents and over 10 firefights, says it is not.

When he was home on R&R, and had no "decompression" time, I had to keep my M-16 in his room so he could sleep.

When he came home for good, after being retained at Fort Riley for counseling and re-training, he was the same old Travis, only older and more mature.

3. A friend's son, who served in Iraq, says PTSD is the real deal, and he takes medication for it.

I have no personal experience with it, so I won't call anyone an "idiot" for believing either way.
  • Options
    ikedaikeda Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cactuspete1
    Oh Yes! PTSD, [xx(], millions of men have seen war and watched their friends die and then moved on with their lives without any excuses.

Many thousands have suffered from it and had no idea they had it. PTSD is not an EXCUSE. It is a medical problem, just like heart disease or cancer, and should be treated as such. It comes in many forms and degrees, and believe me no one wants to suffer from it. It is knucklheads like you that make it more difficult to deal with the problem because of the idea that if you suffer from PTSD you are somehow weak or not MAN enough.
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    quote:Originally posted by wipala

That's a slippery slope. Imagine, a close friend of yours grabs your ccw and shoots himself. Should you now be held responsible for his actions?

story says the friend GAVE the gun to him, not that he TOOK it.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the words of Col. David Hackworth, " Some men's cup fill up faster then others..
  • Options
    cactuspete1cactuspete1 Member Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:It is knucklheads like you that make it more difficult to deal with the problem because of the idea that if you suffer from PTSD you are somehow weak or not MAN enough.

That is not what I said. Too many jump on the PTSD bandwagon just to get on the government teat, its too easy to get. too easy to lie your way into getting it. too easy to use it as an excuse to do what you want and get away with it. lots of guys came home and just got on with their lives.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    The amount of combat casualties one has caused is a cold, dark secret. To live within. Forever. No gab. Trust me on this.

There's no cure, only abatement of the recall, and it's horrors. Eventually most can blur the events so they can cross the line into 'normalcy' (if the line was crossed outbound in the first place-didn't happen to me, thank God!).

What this entire string is about, is that some can do the 'push-back' more quickly/efficiently than others. Some may be so slow in improvement, that their lifetime is gone prior to re-crossing the line. Best, Joe
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Impulsivity is common amongst suicidal people...he didn't off himself because of the movie theater it was simply that "straw" that broke the camels back..if not the theatre something else would have tr4iggered it...why feel sorry for him?

Honestly? suicide is the ultimate sign of self determination, he got EXACTLY what he wanted...otherwise he wouldn't have done it...I feel sorry for his family and the rest of the people that were exposed to it.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

2. I don't know whether PTSD is a real deal or not. My son, who served in Iraq, and who survived 43 IED incidents and over 10 firefights, says it is not.

When he was home on R&R, and had no "decompression" time, I had to keep my M-16 in his room so he could sleep.

When he came home for good, after being retained at Fort Riley for counseling and re-training, he was the same old Travis, only older and more mature.

3. A friend's son, who served in Iraq, says PTSD is the real deal, and he takes medication for it.

I have no personal experience with it, so I won't call anyone an "idiot" for believing either way.

1. Calling names IS allowed, as long as you are one of the mods favored posters.

2. I've seen both with vet friends: ones affected and ones not affected. The behavior of some who claim they have it is just too extreme and bizarre for it to be anything else IMO. There is a definite pattern and identifiable symptoms to those who have been diagnosed with it, so I tend to think it's real. It was called shell shock in WWI, battle fatigue in WWII, and PTSD since Vietnam, so the fact that we have different names for the same thing, used by different armies going back almost 100 years lends credence to it being a real phenomenon, however misunderstood it is.

A professor friend of mine who forgot more about military history and strategy than everyone on this board combined will ever know, told me that how we bring men back from the combat zone significantly affects how they deal with their experiences.

Until Vietnam, a whole unit would be demobilized or sent for R&R in the rear. This allowed them to decompress and debrief with their comrades, their battle buddies. With Vietnam, we would send back and replace individual soldiers; they had no one to "blow off steam with" from their own units who knew what they were going through or talking about specifically. While seemingly more "efficient" from the bean counter perspective, this approach seemingly brought an unintended consequence: the increase of PTSD (or whatever you want to call it) and more serious symptoms in those suffering from it.

The fact that there are plenty of vets who DON'T suffer from just goes to show that one can never predict the outcome of various stimuli and inputs into any human with any degree of certainty. Some people are affected by trauma (in whatever form it takes) in different and more intense ways than others. We just never know.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THis happened a few weeks ago. I haven't seen any updates to it. I don't know what the deal is.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:It is knucklheads like you that make it more difficult to deal with

Mr. ikeda, please knock it off.

quote:Calling names IS allowed, as long as you are one of the mods favored posters.

Mr. nemesisenforcer, we have gone over this ground before. You lie. I would just say you are wrong, but you know better.

Maybe you would like to volunteer to read every word of every post and take necessary corrective action? Probably not, since that would be more than a full time job.

For the UMP-TEENTH time, moderators have to depend on the membership to point out problem posts. The choice is yours, whether to curse the darkness or light a candle.
  • Options
    wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    There is a finite amount of crap someone can deal with before they go off the deep end. That magical number is different for everyone. In war some people can be totally unaffected by killing the enemy, but lose their mind when a friend gets killed. Others can be very much affected by just seeing someone die, enemy or not. Some get PTSD, some don't, some get it later. Some people get better by talking about it, and talking makes it worse for others. PTSD can range from nightmares, cold sweats, checking behind doors, remembering things triggered by a sound, a smell, or a sight. It can manifest itself as anger, aggressiveness, laziness, being aloof, sleep disorders, and in this guy's case obvious mental illness and suicide.

The military makes a halfassed effort to diagnose and treat PTSD. The VA does the same but for different reasons. The VA doesn't want to pay for the disability it causes. The military doesn't care as long as they get what they want out of the person, they care less what happens to them after their service.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wittynbear
    There is a finite amount of crap someone can deal with before they go off the deep end. That magical number is different for everyone. In war some people can be totally unaffected by killing the enemy, but lose their mind when a friend gets killed. Others can be very much affected by just seeing someone die, enemy or not. Some get PTSD, some don't, some get it later. Some people get better by talking about it, and talking makes it worse for others. PTSD can range from nightmares, cold sweats, checking behind doors, remembering things triggered by a sound, a smell, or a sight. It can manifest itself as anger, aggressiveness, laziness, being aloof, sleep disorders, and in this guy's case obvious mental illness and suicide.

The military makes a halfassed effort to diagnose and treat PTSD. The VA does the same but for different reasons. The VA doesn't want to pay for the disability it causes. The military doesn't care as long as they get what they want out of the person, they care less what happens to them after their service.

+1...and well said.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...and in this guy's case obvious mental illness and suicide.I wouldn't say either of these are obvious based upon the information given.

All we really know is that he appeared to be intoxicated, he came into possession of a gun, it ended up discharging and he died. Everything else is supposition.

There's an awful lot of wandering around out in left field going on with this thread. Not only are people deeming this is a suicide with very little to back it up, now thet're even claiming to know what led him to it. Jeez.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...and in this guy's case obvious mental illness and suicide.I wouldn't say either of these are obvious based upon the information given.

All we really know is that he appeared to be intoxicated, he came into possession of a gun, it ended up discharging and he died. Everything else is supposition.

There's an awful lot of wandering around out in left field going on with this thread. Not only are people deeming this is a suicide with very little to back it up, now thet're even claiming to know what led him to it. Jeez.

Well I am listening Dr Phil.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I am listening Dr Phil.That's a bit misdirected. How about instead you voice this to those filling gaps in the story and reaching a diagnosis based solely upon assumptions.

Did it cross your mind this could've simply been an accidental discharge?

Read over the info again and you'll see there's actually nothing that would cause you to rule this out. Notice also there's nothing to lead to some of the conclusions I'm seeing thrown out here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I am listening Dr Phil.That's a bit misdirected. How about instead you voice this to those filling gaps in the story and reaching a diagnosis based solely upon assumptions.

Did it cross your mind this could've simply been an accidental discharge?

Read over the info again and you'll see there's actually nothing that would cause you to rule this out. Notice also there's nothing to lead to some of the conclusions I'm seeing thrown out here.
    relax I'm just messing with ya.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

1. Calling names IS allowed, as long as you are one of the mods favored posters.

2. I've seen both with vet friends: ones affected and ones not affected. The behavior of some who claim they have it is just too extreme and bizarre for it to be anything else IMO. There is a definite pattern and identifiable symptoms to those who have been diagnosed with it, so I tend to think it's real. It was called shell shock in WWI, battle fatigue in WWII, and PTSD since Vietnam, so the fact that we have different names for the same thing, used by different armies going back almost 100 years lends credence to it being a real phenomenon, however misunderstood it is.

A professor friend of mine who forgot more about military history and strategy than everyone on this board combined will ever know, told me that how we bring men back from the combat zone significantly affects how they deal with their experiences.

Until Vietnam, a whole unit would be demobilized or sent for R&R in the rear. This allowed them to decompress and debrief with their comrades, their battle buddies. With Vietnam, we would send back and replace individual soldiers; they had no one to "blow off steam with" from their own units who knew what they were going through or talking about specifically. While seemingly more "efficient" from the bean counter perspective, this approach seemingly brought an unintended consequence: the increase of PTSD (or whatever you want to call it) and more serious symptoms in those suffering from it.

The fact that there are plenty of vets who DON'T suffer from just goes to show that one can never predict the outcome of various stimuli and inputs into any human with any degree of certainty. Some people are affected by trauma (in whatever form it takes) in different and more intense ways than others. We just never know.

Man...I remember sitting in Ohare airport waiting for a flight home in February 1968 when I saw three guys in tropical utility uniforms walking around like they were lost. Some MPs latched onto them..

It was right around the time the White House announced draw downs of units in Vietnam. I always wondered if these guys were part of that and they on a lay over maybe checking out the sites..
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More to the story than that!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that I knew in Nam, he was a captain, now retired like I am. He keeps telling me even today some 37 years later, "Go make your PTSD claim, its FREE money and easy to get. He isnt the first to encourage me to make this claim through VA.. Yep! Jump on the government tit, it is easy to do cause they cant prove anything..

I personally know a few that claim the PTSD,,They were drunks and druggies before Nam, and found the easy road...[:(]